highway jazz bass

Your weapon of choice
Denis

highway jazz bass

Post by Denis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52 am

hi there,
whats the main difference between fender high way jazz bass
and fender standard jazz bass?
also whats a good bass to play at church and uni worship band?
i am looking for a bass just under 2k

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Re: highway jazz bass

Post by ryanmaiden » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:11 am

I think the main difference is the finish. The highway one models are only given a thin finish to cut down on costs. The current models are also fitted with a Leo Quan Badass 2 bridge and I think the tuners are the same as what is used on the mexican models. And it will come with a gig bag, rather than a case.

Apart from that I don't think there are too many other differences. They are a very popular model as most people want to buy an american made fender but don't want to have to sell a kidney to afford one.

A jazz bass is pretty versatile so it is a great option for pretty much any style of music.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:12 am

Ryan is on to it with the differences. Highway series is "better" but also slightly different to the Standard series, but due to Fender's extreme inconsistencies you might play both side by side and that particular Standard might be nicer than that particular Highway.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my Squire Jazz and having been playing Fenders ranging from 1-4k. The fit and finish on the Fenders is way better, but I am yet to find one that is actually nice to play. My Squire has put them all to shame so far, which is a worry....

I think a Jazz would suit your purpose, they are versatile, easy to play and sound great, kinda oldschool meets a little bit modern in terms of tone. I really like Jazz Basses so of course I would recommend one, or a Ric 8)

Denis

Post by Denis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:38 am

any nice jazz bass thats under 2k?
i wanna buy american standard but its over 2k.
bass thats not fender is ok for me

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Best piece of advice I can give is to not look at models or series with Fender. Just go to as many shops as you can and play as many Jazz Basses as you can until you find one you like. Most I have played recently felt like planks of wood with strings on them, not basses.

Denis

Post by Denis » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:23 am

thx for ur advice!
ur rep was very helpful k

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:35 am

i prefer a thin finish on a bass as thick finishes tend to dampen the woods voice, imho, sorry to digress.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:37 pm

ryla wrote:i prefer a thin finish on a bass as thick finishes tend to dampen the woods voice, imho, sorry to digress.
That's not a digression, the new American Standard run has a lighter urethane finish for that exact reason. Though that's probably way over OP's budget.

I would recommend you go around trying every bass in sight (seeing as your post is about Fenders, try every Fender in sight).
Denis wrote:hi there,
whats the main difference between fender high way jazz bass
and fender standard jazz bass?
also whats a good bass to play at church and uni worship band?
i am looking for a bass just under 2k
If you can find a Jaguar for under 2k, try one of those as well, see if you like them (I do, but it looks like most people don't).

To answer your question (assuming you're talking about the Standard and not the American Standard)

Standards have a polyester finish, while Highways have a Nitro lacquer finish, which happens to be much lighter and thinner.
Highways also have an upgraded tone circuit (Greasebucket, i think it's called), and come with a Badass II bridge fitted from the factory. That's probably the No.1 most common upgrade to Standards.

Highway also has a carbon-fiber reinforced neck, which pretty much kills neck problems (this doesn't mean you can drop the Jazz on it's head without getting a spanking from every other bassist around, okay? :lol: ).

You probably know about the 70's styling. Oh, and the Gig bag which comes with the Highway is better :D

EDIT: One more thing. You can only get the Highway with Rosewood fretboards, which might put off a lot of the Maple lovers around. I like Rosewood, personally. No white Highway either.

Last thing, I promise! You can't see the wood grain on sunburst MIMs, that's reserved for American-made Jazzes, it seems. Biggie for me (I own a sunburst American Standard, which sees a LOT of use in my church band. The Precisions aren't too bad if you're playing more pop/rock worship songs, but they aren't as versatile. Cheaper, though.

Sorry if my post is confusing, I'm having a bad afternoon :lol:
A-boom boom boom boom!

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Fri May 09, 2014 10:47 pm

I can attest to the goodness that is a Highway 1. I bought one approx 2 years ago. Really good bass IMO. Good sound and versatility (both live and recorded). Made in the US I believe.

Good, solid mid-priced bass
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat May 10, 2014 8:09 pm

I am pretty sure the wood is worked in Mexico and then sent to the US to be coated and assembled.
The one I played was really nice and I was probably going to buy it but Potatoes put up a standard in the classifieds. It happened to be more in the colours I liked so I went with that. Shallow, I know ;)

*edit. I'm talking about a P but that shouldn't effect anything other then the usual P vs J differences

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Sun May 11, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi,
Yes echo the positives about Highway 1. I have a Highway 1 Jazz with the badass bridge. Black with white pick guard. Got it from the Rockshop. It's a real pleasure to play. Lovely neck. Nice bottom end on the front pickup and nice Jacoy nutty sound on the rear. Sounds good with both pickups on and a half tone turn which is the most common setting I use. The neck is really smooth to move around.