I finally found a Jazz Bass that actually feels nice!

Your weapon of choice
timi
Gold Member

I finally found a Jazz Bass that actually feels nice!

Post by timi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Was in Auckland earlier this week to see Pavement (awesome show btw) and took the chance to check out some basses around town, had pretty limited time so wasn't able to venture out of the CBD. Went to Music Planet, they had some nice guitars but no basses that interested me, then played a bunch of basses at the K Road Rockshop Bass store. Didn't go to Musicworks because I don't play nu metal/cringe rock.

Found a really nice MIM Jazz at the K Road Rockshop, one of the new ones with a maple fretboard and parchment pickguard. The E felt a bit dead, pointed this out to the guy in the shop who gave me several absurd reasons as to why this could be, but eventually convinced him to swap the string just to make sure it was the actual string at fault, which it was. It came with a gig bag but since I was flying home I had to get a good case, and the only one that fit properly was a fancy one. Check out the interior, I could live in this thing!

Rockshop had a few cool things. Marcus Miller Jazz bass (felt nice but silly looking) and a "Road Worn" P bass which felt GREAT but the road worn thing is dumb, and I wasn't after a P bass even though that one was a fine example. They also had an American Standard Jazz otherwise exactly the same as the MIM, but the MIM blew it away!

The guy was really friendly and I felt I got good service from them, but I really had to push for it and be quite firm about the whole string thing. Got home and gave the setup a tweak and it felt 10 times better again. Really happy with this bass, glad I finally found a nice Jazz.
Attachments
Jazzzz.jpg

T-Dub
Gold Member

Re: I finally found a Jazz Bass that actually feels nice!

Post by T-Dub » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Stoked bro!
Awesome you found something that works for you.
I'm starting to consider selling/trading my Gibson LP Jr for a Jazz. Good to know there's some good mexi's around.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:27 pm

good one Timi
extra points for the plush case
not as cool as the upholstery on ya Jansen but still with major cred

what strings and are you tuning it down to Eb?
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Great Timi. I really respect the fact that you held out for so long, to find te right one, and didn't settle for less.
I love the simplicity of white on black.
How do the pups sound?
And that case lining lol. reminds me of bogan chicks from the 90s dresses :mrgreen:

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Yes! Well done ... i'm rather jealous. Looks great in black.
Indeed that case could double for a great coffin if you lost enough weight prior to departure. :wink:
Nice to hear about your experience at the RS too.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:53 am

scott at the bass store (guy with a beard) really knows his stuff...they get A LOT of tyre-kickers in there so generally they're all a bit guarded/hesitant about some things unless they know you or realise you're not just there messing around.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Currently in E with the strings it came with, but I'm touring with a band pretty soon where I need to be in full D and will probably use the Jazz for this. The bridge was a bit crap (strings moved round a bit) but I had a good one lying round so put that on. Kinda considering getting a new bridge that allows string through but I really don't know if it's worth it.

Pickups sound fine, I've never been huge on changing pickups unless you want a drastically different sound by going active or something.

The guy in the shop admitted to me he wasn't a bass player but some of the bizarre things he was saying are no different in guitar world. If one string sounds dead even when it's unplugged it won't be the amp.......

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 pm

model.citizen wrote:scott at the bass store (guy with a beard) really knows his stuff...they get A LOT of tyre-kickers in there so generally they're all a bit guarded/hesitant about some things unless they know you or realise you're not just there messing around.
I think this attitude is really crappy to be honest. Not that many people will silly enough/rich enough to be able to dump money on instruments purely because a salesperson said so. Sure, you might not see the gold straight away, but most people are actually sensible and try out numerous instruments or one particular instrument several times.

There's a local music store, where the salespeople there are renowned for not getting off their butts to help you try an amp or instrument; they'd rather talk to you behind the counter about how great it is and then wince when you want to play it. AND you have to actually ask to try something at the end of this big conversation. It's like they hate having sell things :?.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:26 am

timi wrote:Currently in E with the strings it came with, but I'm touring with a band pretty soon where I need to be in full D and will probably use the Jazz for this. The bridge was a bit crap (strings moved round a bit) but I had a good one lying round so put that on. Kinda considering getting a new bridge that allows string through but I really don't know if it's worth it.

Pickups sound fine, I've never been huge on changing pickups unless you want a drastically different sound by going active or something.

The guy in the shop admitted to me he wasn't a bass player but some of the bizarre things he was saying are no different in guitar world. If one string sounds dead even when it's unplugged it won't be the amp.......
do the bridge change and make it strung through. its worth it! the best upgrade other than pickups that you can do. glad you found one!
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:03 am

I'd love a go with the 2-Tek system
CK had one in his Modulus

if you tune down to D do you get a larger gauge string Timi? I ask because I am interested in how you get an accurate low D from a de-tuned wooden 34" scale instrument. Be good if you can say what you do to get it too play/sound right. I know you get a cat to do a full set-up but any other tips or 'policy' on successfully 'retuning' a stock instrument may be more than useful for various punters.

GO THE PHOENIX
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:41 am

i run a 135 low-B for drop-D on my Rickys...preserves the tension, much more girth and bite than a stock 105 gone flabby.

doesn't affect the neck, and i haven't even re-slotted the nut or saddles, it sits in there nicely as-is.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:20 am

timi wrote:They also had an American Standard Jazz otherwise exactly the same as the MIM, but the MIM blew it away!.
Can you elaborate?
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:45 pm

irvinz wrote:do the bridge change and make it strung through. its worth it! the best upgrade other than pickups that you can do. glad you found one!
Been doing some more research on this and it seems that you can't really tell any difference, plus the extra string length required can limit string options, so I think I won't bother. Pickups maybe later down the track, perhaps the high end 60s ones that Fender do....
foal30 wrote:if you tune down to D do you get a larger gauge string Timi? I ask because I am interested in how you get an accurate low D from a de-tuned wooden 34" scale instrument. Be good if you can say what you do to get it too play/sound right. I know you get a cat to do a full set-up but any other tips or 'policy' on successfully 'retuning' a stock instrument may be more than useful for various punters.
If I was in D in a heavier band and had to play hard I would get thicker strings (probably 50-115). I've had to do this in the past and I could get an accurate D, but the bass just never sounds or feels right even after a lot of tweaking and setup. I prefer Eb because you can still use normal strings for heavier music and the bass almost feels right. I setup my own basses unless the nut needs filing, or it's the Ric with the whole dual truss rod thing.

The band I will be touring with isn't heavy so I will be able to get away with my standard strings (45-105). Just a case of restringing in D and leaving the bass for a day before doing some minor adjustments. After going through some of the songs I might actually be able to get away with playing in E which would be nice.
Harley wrote:
timi wrote:They also had an American Standard Jazz otherwise exactly the same as the MIM, but the MIM blew it away!.
Can you elaborate?
They had an American Standard Jazz that was black with a white pickguard and maple fretboard, not that the colour makes a difference, but it was pretty much the "model up". It felt like a really cheap bass. Dead, very little sustain and just didn't resonate right. I'm sure new strings and a setup would help, but I still think it just wasn't a nice bass.

bassnut14
Bronze Member

Post by bassnut14 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:33 pm

T-Dub wrote:
model.citizen wrote:scott at the bass store (guy with a beard) really knows his stuff...they get A LOT of tyre-kickers in there so generally they're all a bit guarded/hesitant about some things unless they know you or realise you're not just there messing around.
I think this attitude is really crappy to be honest. Not that many people will silly enough/rich enough to be able to dump money on instruments purely because a salesperson said so. Sure, you might not see the gold straight away, but most people are actually sensible and try out numerous instruments or one particular instrument several times.

There's a local music store, where the salespeople there are renowned for not getting off their butts to help you try an amp or instrument; they'd rather talk to you behind the counter about how great it is and then wince when you want to play it. AND you have to actually ask to try something at the end of this big conversation. It's like they hate having sell things :?.
Yeah he does know what he's talking about also he's not really like that he does let you try the basses hell second or third I whent there he let my try a 6 and a half thousand dollar warwick thub 5'er he's never said I couldn't play a bass yet

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:57 pm

Harley wrote:
Can you elaborate?
They had an American Standard Jazz that was black with a white pickguard and maple fretboard, not that the colour makes a difference, but it was pretty much the "model up". It felt like a really cheap bass. Dead, very little sustain and just didn't resonate right. I'm sure new strings and a setup would help, but I still think it just wasn't a nice bass.[/quote]

I want to have a touchy-feely with that Am. Std Jazz, just to compare it to mine. That's really interesting... maybe it's just not set up properly (considering that retail is about $2800 NZ, they'd probably take the time to get it right... I think.)

The big thing to watch for with high-value basses is the condition of the strings. Since they have low, low, low turnover, they could probably be sitting there with strings from back in '08 :shock:

I have immense respect for Fender's products, some of the best guitars they've ever made were made in the last 10 years. Especially the American Standards from 2008 on. It could be a dud body, though.

Where's my stethoscope...
A-boom boom boom boom!