What's with the Warwick hate???

Your weapon of choice
CliffH

What's with the Warwick hate???

Post by CliffH » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new here but I'm seriously seeing a, well, general disdain of Warwick basses. What is it most of you don't like? I'm just curious at the moment as I do like most of their basses. Look wise I personally don't like the Streamers (I don't like Spector NS basses either, go figure) at all but love the Fortress and the Dolphins to a slightly lesser extent. Since I've just started playing again after a long hiatus (almost 14 years), I decided to get myself a Rockbass Fortress 5 which isn't bad at all. It's definitely not the same as my old babies (I played for 10 years on a heavily modified Squire Precision 4, a heavily modified Yamaha Attitude 5, and a fretless Ibanez Roadster) but that's what I love about it. In the past when I bought a bass, it was based on two things:

1. How it felt in my hands
2. How it sounded acoustically

Both of these were equally important. If it felt like crap and sounded dull or dead, well, I knew not to touch it. If those two criteria were met and I had the money (keep in mind, I bought my basses in the US during Junior High [intermediate here] and High School from gigging and working) to buy I started from that solid base and modified to my heart's content. :) This Rockbass will be no different.

The one thing I love about some but not all of the Warwick's are their sound acoustically. When I hit that B string on a 5 I hear and feel a nice sustained B. If I'm playing harmonics, I'm getting crystal clear harmonics. The string spacing is a little tight but it's making me get more accurate with my playing (especially when I slap).

I think I saw one comment somewhere on the forum where a jazz bass tutor would rather quit playing than to play a Warwick. To each their own but from someone else whom was (and will be again) a decent jazz and fusion bassist it's always been more about player than the instrument, although if you don't like the instrument you're definitely not going to play it to your full ability (as I found out in the past).

Ok, I'm done with my semi-coherent rant. This really is a great site and I'm glad it's available to learn from and all of you are here to learn from and chat to.

Have a great night,
Cliff
To each his reach
And if I don't cop, it ain't mine to have
But I'll be reachin' for ya

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: What's with the Warwick hate???

Post by foal30 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:07 pm

hi Cliff

hate is a strong word. :)
why did you stop playing for 14 years?
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:46 pm

I don't "hate" Warwick basses, but from the ones I've played on I've found they are not my style at all, probably the most uncomfortable basses I've played.

But of course, they are perfect for some people! I haven't come across more Warwick hate than say 6-string hate, so I wouldn't be too worried Cliff :)

CliffH

Post by CliffH » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:54 pm

foal30 wrote:hi Cliff

hate is a strong word. :)
why did you stop playing for 14 years?
Hi there,
To make a really long story short, I went kind of, well, off the rails when I turned 21 and in one year sold all of my gear for a woman. Three years later I moved from my home country (US) to here and have been here for over 10 years. A wife and kids later and I'm starting to play a bit again thanks to my wife who bought me the lil Wick for a birthday present. :)I actually played this thing I would say soon after the Rockshop got it (back in 2005 I believe) and I swore some day I would have it. I didn't realize until about a week after I got it that it was the same bass I had played in the past. Anyways, I managed to make one story short and this one long so I'll hop off of here, play some bass, work on some computers, and watch Dodgeball :)

Cliff
To each his reach

CliffH

Post by CliffH » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Dan wrote:I don't "hate" Warwick basses, but from the ones I've played on I've found they are not my style at all, probably the most uncomfortable basses I've played.

But of course, they are perfect for some people! I haven't come across more Warwick hate than say 6-string hate, so I wouldn't be too worried Cliff :)
Don't get me started on 6-string basses LOL!!! j/k To be honest that is one instrument that still has me a bit scared for some reason. I'll happily play a 6-string fretless (played quite a few and recorded with a few in the past) but I have this mental block with the fretted ones. Oh well, I plan to get past it. :)

I think Warwick basses are one of those like 'em or hate 'em type basses. The sound definitely isn't to everyone's liking. When I finally start playing out again I may actually have problems finding a sound that everyone in the band likes. Then again, I may just find another bassist or two and see if we can't gig around as a bass duo or trio. Could be interesting. :)

Thanks for the comments and have a great night. I plan to be lurking on here quite often and hope to learn a ton as I have been away for far too long...

Cliff
To each his reach

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Welcome to the site man :)

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah, welcome.
Your wife bought you a bass= She is a keeper :D
I really like the growl of Warwicks, And the neck profile and string spacing.....But I do not like the looks of them at all

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:02 pm

i don't mind the sound of them actually, although a little "restrained" for my usual tastes (ie a little too "clean").

comfort-wise, i think they're actually really nice (although this is coming from a die-hard Rickenbacker player), but maybe a little too light for me.

but the main gripe i have is that the ones i've played have a really weird feel to the fingerboard, almost elastic, and i've always found tone/volume discrepancies between strings (though that could well be setup).

sometimes i'm surprised that some of my favourite players and songs have a Warwick in the mix...i guess ultimately for me they don't have a "character" that endears.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

CliffH

Post by CliffH » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 am

model.citizen wrote:i don't mind the sound of them actually, although a little "restrained" for my usual tastes (ie a little too "clean").

comfort-wise, i think they're actually really nice (although this is coming from a die-hard Rickenbacker player), but maybe a little too light for me.

but the main gripe i have is that the ones i've played have a really weird feel to the fingerboard, almost elastic, and i've always found tone/volume discrepancies between strings (though that could well be setup).

sometimes i'm surprised that some of my favourite players and songs have a Warwick in the mix...i guess ultimately for me they don't have a "character" that endears.
I'll definitely agree with you and say that they sound a bit too clean at times. In saying that, I don't have to play around too long to get the sound I want out of it. Of course, I'm not playing out yet so we'll see how well it fits in the mix then. :)

I've picked up a few wicks that had that strange fingerboard feel myself. With the current ones they have in the Rockshop here in ChCh, except for the really insanely expensive ones, I liked my Rockbass better. I think a lot of it had to do with setup though. Some of the more exotic woods they use in their necks and fingerboards could definitely lend to that elastic feeling as well. The Rockbass I have (a 2004 Fortress) has a laminate maple neck with a very nice rosewood fingerboard so it is closer to your standard Fender Jazz than your typical wick. The body is also swamp ash so, again, a more standard build material but it still has the Warwick feel and the growl, just a metric f'load cheaper (mine was $599 new). I would trade it in a heartbeat though to get my old gear back though. :) Oh well, I'm very happy with this one and can't wait till I get back up to a comfortable playing level to start thinking about playing out again. I forgot how much I truly missed playing until my wife got me this. :)

Cliff
To each his reach

CliffH

Post by CliffH » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:20 am

john wrote:Yeah, welcome.
Your wife bought you a bass= She is a keeper :D
I really like the growl of Warwicks, And the neck profile and string spacing.....But I do not like the looks of them at all
LOL!!! She keeps proving that on a daily basis. :)

Thanks for the welcome :)
To each his reach

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:35 pm

CliffH wrote: in one year sold all of my gear for a woman
Blimey! I got mine for the price of a Cadbury's Creme Egg.

Resession prices eh? :wink:

joppo

Post by joppo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:13 pm

BluesBass wrote:

Ohhhhhh! Your confident your beloved doesn't read the board then? :wink: There was a great line on Home Improvement ("Tooltime") that comes to mind. "A man can say things in the privacy of a hardwear store that he wouldn't say in a public place like his home"

CliffH

Post by CliffH » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:26 pm

joppo wrote:
BluesBass wrote:

Ohhhhhh! Your confident your beloved doesn't read the board then? :wink: There was a great line on Home Improvement ("Tooltime") that comes to mind. "A man can say things in the privacy of a hardwear store that he wouldn't say in a public place like his home"
LOL!!! Nah, my wife knows the whole story. :) As for the Cadbury Creme Egg, it was the wrong time of the year back in the US for that :) Those things are one of the better perks of living here now hehehe
To each his reach

Fyrbyrd
Bronze Member

Post by Fyrbyrd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 am

I tend to switch around at gigs between a active Fender Precision Lyte (it really is light) and an active warwick corvette standard. The warwick definitely has the best tone cutting through in the full band setup(big sound, warm and bright), but is less playable and really heavy. It doesn't record well at all - really clicky even though I dropped the pickups a bit, and sometime get clicks thru the amp at gigs too - may be the playing style.

Kev77
Bronze Member

Post by Kev77 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:57 pm

FWIW - I do hate warwicks
I wish I could play bass like John lee hooker