What's with the Warwick hate???

Your weapon of choice
martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: What's with the Warwick hate???

Post by martyforrer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:11 am

Hey Pins, congrats man, I had a quick quiz at one of those in Wellywood Rock shop, a green one, looked bloody good. The charge-out rate youse guys charge you can afford to have 20 basses.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Cheers mate,I never thought I would even consider a Warwick,never even held one before,they didn't interest me whatsoever.
But I have found enlightenment.I'm quite excited about it more than any other bass I own.Still love my P and J Fenders,but this bass covers both of those at the flick of the pup selector.
20 basses would be awesome but I dont think the "Colonel" would see it that way :wink:

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Its getting crowded in here !
I put some Inlay stickers on last night,its a wee fetish I seem to have. The little amp is what came free.It rocks.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:04 pm

That looks awesome!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:57 pm

What Dan said.
I like that the neck pick up is not hard against the neck like they usually are on hollow bodies

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Well I agree :wink: and I have come to the conclusion that the neck pick up position is perfect and is why this thing sounds like a P/J bass mongrel combined with tone of it's own added.The passive MEC pups are quite impressive,everything sounds even and balanced anywhere on the neck,this is not the case with the 3 Fenders.
With the front pup selected it reminds me of the P,same goes for the rear pup, its almost J like,combine them and it has its own tone,which is what I have been looking for in a bass for some time.Very happy.

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:44 pm

Looks real sweet pins 8) shame it ain't a fender :lol: can't wait to hear how it sounds

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Well I haven't read the first 4 or so pages of this thread but regarding Warwick hate...
I've got a Warwick Profet 5.1 and 600w 8ohm 4x10 cabinet and have been having issues with both the amp and cab recently... almost to the point of wanting to ditch the whole lot and buy something else.....
But I did try a Warwick Rock Bass about 4-5 years ago before buying my Ibanez and didn't really like the 'feel' of the basd at all... just didn't feel smooth.
I don't hate Warwick.... but I don't really like them much at the moment either!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 am

Chris wrote:Cheers mate,I never thought I would even consider a Warwick,never even held one before,they didn't interest me whatsoever.
But I have found enlightenment.I'm quite excited about it more than any other bass I own.Still love my P and J Fenders,but this bass covers both of those at the flick of the pup selector.
20 basses would be awesome but I dont think the "Colonel" would see it that way :wink:

i never thought i would really want one till i played the star basses. which now, i have even greater interest.

i mainly played through a DI back then, soley via in ears, and most of that wouldn't sound to nice without 'speakers'
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:29 pm

I gigged mine on Friday night for the first time with our band,and WOW ! I'm so sold on this Bass.Fantastic tones,every thing is so clear and full sounding compared to my Fenders.
Played the first set with both pups,sounded great,but the remainder of the night with just the rear pup,and discovered that is the tone I have been yearning for for a long long time.Was worried it might have been a bit to bright but instead was just Awesome !!!!.Has a great feeling neck,in between my J and P necks.
If anyone here gets a chance to try one,do it,Im sure you will be quite surprised at what this bass can deliver.
Now seriously contemplating ditching both my Fenders (Jazz and P) and getting another Warwick in a solid body design.

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Well had my turn on chirs's new warrick and I have say what a wicked sounding and feeling bass,the sound is awesome and feel of the neck/frets is something special, If one ever came my way I would have a hard think about getting one myself . more lighter and Easier to play then a fender (just quietly). 8) 8)

walker.chris36

Post by walker.chris36 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Hey everyone!
I'm new round here.... And noticed this thread. I play a corvette $$ and friggen love it. I read this entire thread out of curiosity and it seems the main reason people hate on warwick is their shape. I always hated their shape until i bit the bullet and got the double buck. after a month or so of playing i absolutely love the thing... I won't play a gig without it!

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 am

Hi and welcome fellow Warwick player :D
feel free to post up some pics of your gear,love to see your Corvette $$, the shape means nothing to me,tone and playability is king.
I don't gig my Star Bass as much as I wanted to, seems I now cherish my beloved P bass as number 1 more than ever, even ditched my MIA Jazz because of this fact.
The Warwick is a keeper and gets used alot for jams and "inspiration" .

walker.chris36

Post by walker.chris36 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 am

I find the tone of my $$ incredibly versatile. first two knobs are volume 1 for humbucker one, and volume 2 for humbucker two and they're both coil tapped.. huge possibilities. It's easy to go from both coil taps pulled and have a nice soft mellow tone and then slam them in and you got a HUGE growling tone.. as i play highly dynamic prog music its a perfect fit for me. The lens on my galaxy s3 got smashed so i couldn't snap a pic but i'll dig out my digital camera tonight :)

Lenin

Post by Lenin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Never liked Warwicks. Dont know why, they just dont appeal to me I guess. Would rather have a Spector (they seem similar?)