Acoustic basses

Your weapon of choice
Cory
Bronze Member

Acoustic basses

Post by Cory » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 pm

I have been browsing the market for an acoustic bass guitar. But I really don't have a clue about what to look for in an acoustic. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Well ive got three.... two fender(one chinese one korean) and a washburn AB20... the washburn was by far and a longway the nicest of the three... till i took it in to fix a slight buzzing when plugged in... now its unplayable plugged in! Both of the fenders are nice, but ive sworn to never buy another fender ever again because of there after sales service,(a crack appeared in head after a while... i took it back to rock shop, they sent it to fender, and they said id dropped it... but i hadnt!!!!!! luckily the rock shop didnt buy that either and had it repaired for me. But as far as im concerned fender can go to hell, and good on the rock shop!!! and yes i know there a big difference between fender usa/fender asia... but its the principal!!!!!!)
But the fender GB-41SCE is a beautiful instrument with an awsome sound, and i must admit its a very nice semiacoustic. But in my limited experience id say some are far to quite unplugged, and that should be the first thing you should suss out when trying one out... (especially if you got some hippy mates you want to jam with).... well other than that hell ive bought all mine from trying them out when passing a music shop and falling in love with the tone... Im the last person you should take advice from concerning prudent purchases! :wink:

AudioEnz

Post by AudioEnz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Acoustic bass guitars come in two categories: jumbo-sized guitars able to produce a good sound on their own ("big buggers") and slim guitars that need to be amplified ("weedy things").

Both the forum head and I have Cort acoustic bass guitars. They are deep, so if you're used to playing an electric bass, then it may take a little getting used to. The Cort acoustic basses are very well made and sound very nice. Mine cost $599.

If you plan to plug in then you can go for a weedy thing. Weedy things are slim and can't produce a lot of sound (or any depth to the sound) on their own. Various brands make weedy things, including Fender. I don't have a lot of experience with them, so I'll leave comments to those who do.

Keep in mind that even a big bugger acoustic bass guitar can't produce large amounts of volume. Enthusiastic strumming on an acoustic guitar can drown out an acoustic bass.

But they're great if jamming with more considerate acoustic guitarists, or for practising at home.
Michael Jones
Cort SJB-3 acoustic bass guitar

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:58 pm

I like the terminology audioenz! :D and now i look at my basses hes right! my washburn is skinny! and dosnt produce much sound! And the fenders are fat!! And do produce decent sound!

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 am

Are they hard to keep in good condition? I would imagine that wood can warp quite easily.

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 am

Well,id say looking at the cracks in my fender, that the mill ends where blunt on the cnc machine or whatever they used to sink the holes for machine heads,so thats probably just bad luck,(ill add im guessing, i do know what didnt cause it) rather than anything else, and i took my washburn with me to east timor in 2000... mid 40s to low 50s with 90-100% humidity, and the bass itself only needed a few minor tweaks with the neck..(thats what killed the ellectrics in it) So id have to say no, i keep mine on stands and have no problems with them 8)
Last edited by Randomplay on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

AudioEnz

Post by AudioEnz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:35 pm

Cory wrote:Are they hard to keep in good condition? I would imagine that wood can warp quite easily.
No harder than an acoustic guitar.
Michael Jones

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:55 pm

Cory wrote:Are they hard to keep in good condition? I would imagine that wood can warp quite easily.
I've only had the one Cort SJB-3 so my knowledge is limited. I don't treat it any different to my electric bass. Adjustable truss rod. Neck is pretty good although it does go out of tune more when not in use. Old strings prob don't help.

Intonation above 12fret an't too hot tho and there is nothing you can do about it (to my knowledge) as it's a wooden bridge. :(

One advantage is it has a fishman pickup 4band eq and doesn't sound too bad. Def good value for money for me @ RRP $599 as there are very few basses I like playing other than my musicman (RRP $5000).

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:14 pm

I have a jumbo sized 35inch scale Takamine acoustic. They are a work of art, paua inlays on the fret board and around the sound hole, excellent EQ, tuner and pickup. Brilliant for practising or low level acoustic jams. You need to be mindful of acoustic feedback in onstage situations, mine caught me unaware and I learned some new unexpected lessons in acoustic muting - lovely though. I always liked the AB series of Washburns too, and would gladly add one to the collection. I looked at the cheaper Fenders but they are just inferior by comparison, the ones around the $1k range seem much better. My mate has a Cort ( got an eletric too as part of a two bass deal ) and it is real nice...
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:59 am

Well id say that cort looks like a bargain.... its running same preamp as my GB-41SCE, for less than half $, ive never heard a bad word spoken about them... Im gonna have to check out a Takamine by the sounds....
I do want to make it clear im not knocking the fender GB, im knocking there after sales service, it is the nicest semiacoustic ive personally found. Since washburn died anyways.

AudioEnz

Post by AudioEnz » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 am

beagle wrote:Intonation above 12fret an't too hot tho ...
"Play above the fifth fret and we'll cut your hands off".

Beagle, what do you do for replacement strings on your Cort?
Michael Jones

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:35 am

ahem... yes - I also dont mean to knock the Fender's as for $599 or whatever the cheapest one is, you do get decent value. They are definately better than the Ashtons... ...The Fenders around the $1k mark are definately better crafted than the cheapest ones... my Takamine only cost me $995... I was truly suprised, however they had it sitting on the rack at Shearers for nearly two years with no interest apparently. Right time at the right place...
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

BassinHardSince1992

Re: Acoustic basses

Post by BassinHardSince1992 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:21 pm

Epiphone El Segundo mate, cheap as chips with an amazing feel
It's Close Enough for Jazz - Jaco P

Vince
Bronze Member

Re:

Post by Vince » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:30 pm

AudioEnz wrote:Keep in mind that even a big bugger acoustic bass guitar can't produce large amounts of volume. Enthusiastic strumming on an acoustic guitar can drown out an acoustic bass.
I think it's easy for ppl to forget that ABG is an acoustic instrument that requires a different technique. IMHO, if someone is going to use old flats and the fleshiest part of their fingers, for example, it's never going to work out.

I change my strings about every three months and have quite a hard attack, using a pick. I have never met an acoustic guitarist I could not keep up with, volume wise.

But if you want a more mellow sound then, yes, you should get an amp.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Acoustic basses

Post by pins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:38 pm

i love my accoustic fender,brass looking rounds(excuse my ignorance,been on there a while),no pick but i give it death as far as the fingers go,with nice black fingertips to show for it,and sounds better through a small combo.