Post by john » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Stunning!

How does she sound?
Is the intonation good?

BluesBass
Gold Member

Re: NBD...

Post by BluesBass » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 am

Right out of the box the intonation is crap to be honest, but over the weekend I'll have a crack at adjusting it.
Tone wise, she sounds great... but playing on the bridge pick-up only is a bit thin and weedy, but with the selector switch on both or just the neck pick-up she sounds a lot better.
It's a really different playing experience to my other basses, but I'll post a review in a bit more detail after the weekend when I have a bit more time to have a longer play around.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:21 pm

flats and raise the action?
is it short scale
pick with thumb mute?
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:00 pm

foal30 wrote:flats and raise the action?
is it short scale
pick with thumb mute?
Flats, maybe.
But raise the action? You must be joking! I need a step ladder as it is...
Short scale it is = 30"
Pick? Never.

Another thing I'm going to do is relocate the strap button from the back of the bass to the heel of the neck.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Love it,it looks just great. :) I am also sure you will tweak it to how you want it.

Yet to try flats on my Gretsch,still quite happy with rounds.Is it your first short scale hollow body ?

deecee
Bronze Member

Post by deecee » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 pm

How does it sound unplugged?
Member, Auckland Blues Club

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:18 pm

deecee wrote:How does it sound unplugged?
Slightly less noisy then when plugged in.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 pm

:lol:

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Wed May 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting around to writing this review, but annoying things like the day job have been getting in the way…
Be that as it may, and as some of you may know, I have been looking for a serious hollowbody bass for a few years now and since I can't afford a Lakland hollowbody, an Epiphone Jack Cassidy or a Gretsch yet... I thought I'd give one of these, very reasonably priced (in the UK at least) Ibanez AFB200s a try.

The full specs can be found here (http://www.ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/model-AFB200) but the short story is that the Ibanez AGB 200 is a short scale bass with two pick-ups, 3 way PU selector switch with basic tone and volume controls.

With a deep body profile close to that of an acoustic guitar, this is a big but light bass that feels nothing like a solid body, and it’s taking a bit of time used to get used to its unfamiliar body dimensions.
Going straight from playing this to my P-Bass feels even stranger.

Out of the box, as I said above, the inotation was pretty bad.
The rosewood bridge makes direct contact with the top only secured to the body by the weight and tension of the strings (I'm not sure if you call that a floating bridge?)
I’ve got the inotation as good as I can get it, but it’s still not 100%, and I’m wondering if it ever can be with this sort of set up because of limited adjustability offered by the bridge.
I’m also a bit disappointed with the plastic-tipped (in white) tuners, which felt a little flimsy and I might think about replacing a little further down the line.

The action on the bass is higher than I’m used to (I have my Fender’s as low as I get possibly get them), but I think on this bass that’s a good thing and I have found it’s not so easy to play.

The string tension feels low, and notes sound thick and thuddy and goes some way to providing the rich almost stand-up sound I'm after.
The soloed neck pick-up is quite deep (and the bass did produce a little feedback) at a more full volume, but at lower volumes it replicated an upright’s quite well.
The bridge pickup had better clarity but was a lot thinner and almost goes against what should be its “thump” and you can't get a real light funky tone so don’t expect shred metal or break into a slap solo.

To answer DC’s question, she has is audible acoustically which will be great for a quick ‘unplugged’ playing fix, but playing with any other instruments would require amplification.

This is by no means the most versatile bass out there and its limited voice could limit its appeal… but so far, I like it.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed May 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Nice stuff man, it'd be great for the old school blues! How much did you pick it up for?