Help Buying Fender bass

Your weapon of choice
xbass.mb

Help Buying Fender bass

Post by xbass.mb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:19 pm

I am wanting to buy an American 57 P bass, in White Blonde, with Gold Anodized Aluminum Pickguard.

Does anyone know any online stores that ship to New Zealand????

I tried Musiciansfriend, but they don't ship this particular instrument here.

I don't really want to order one from a shop here in NZ, it must be more expensive !

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Re: Help Buying Fender bass

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Have you tried Guitar Centre, particularly their used section?
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I presume you mean a re-issue? An original late 50's P would be setting you back around NZ$15,000!

xbass.mb

Post by xbass.mb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Dan wrote:I presume you mean a re-issue? An original late 50's P would be setting you back around NZ$15,000!
Yes I mean a re-issue :) :)

xbass.mb

Post by xbass.mb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Jazzbass wrote:Have you tried Guitar Centre, particularly their used section?
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm
Hi Thanks for your help, I don't really want a used one though, I want a new one :)

jazz1234
Bronze Member

Post by jazz1234 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 pm

I've bought from Bass Northwest before. Helpful guys.
http://www.bassnw.com/contents.htm

Pretty sure Bass Central will ship out this way too.
http://www.basscentral.com/2003/index.php

Good luck!

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:04 pm

jazz1234 wrote:I've bought from Bass Northwest before. Helpful guys.
http://www.bassnw.com/contents.htm!
+1 I've bought gear from them and also visited them.

Great guys and very helpful
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Two points.... have you considered that you are buying a bass unplayed? You might play one here and then order from overseas, but basses are notorious for being different.... particularly Fenders. I've played identical Fenders in shops and they have felt quite different. Are you willing to risk that? It's an expensive exercise to send one back if you dont like it. What about if it craps out or the fingerboard develops a hump over the neck heel area? You wont have warranty, the Fender agents here will not warranty it, and why should they? Any repairs will be your cost.
Just some points to think very carefully about. If it was a boutique bass like a Pedulla or Sadowsky I would say fair enough, because they tend to be very uniform in their quality, but Fenders can be exceptional and they can also be mediocre. Just my opinion based on 18 years in the trade.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:35 pm

+ 1 what Marty says. I am a committed Fender user but over the years I have owned a few whose necks have taken a while to settle (one never did). It has been comforting to contact the importer and be assured of backup if necessary. I have also imported my share of amplifiers and speaker cabs, but as Marty said I would have reservations about buying a bass without first playing it. Must concur with your choice of a 57 P, lovely bass.

xbass.mb

Post by xbass.mb » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:58 am

martyforrer wrote:Two points.... have you considered that you are buying a bass unplayed? You might play one here and then order from overseas, but basses are notorious for being different.... particularly Fenders. I've played identical Fenders in shops and they have felt quite different. Are you willing to risk that? It's an expensive exercise to send one back if you dont like it. What about if it craps out or the fingerboard develops a hump over the neck heel area? You wont have warranty, the Fender agents here will not warranty it, and why should they? Any repairs will be your cost.
Just some points to think very carefully about. If it was a boutique bass like a Pedulla or Sadowsky I would say fair enough, because they tend to be very uniform in their quality, but Fenders can be exceptional and they can also be mediocre. Just my opinion based on 18 years in the trade.
I have thought over this alot, but no where I have found in New Zealand even has this bass. And if I was to order it in through a store, it would be nearly double the price of getting it from America online. So I am willing to take a chance !

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:16 pm

xbass.mb wrote: And if I was to order it in through a store, it would be nearly double the price of getting it from America online.!
In my experience, if you deal with the right store here in NZ, they'll come close to the cost of importing one yourself and you avoid all the hassles PLUS you get a warranty PLUS you get to take it back if it's not right.

I do a lot of importing and what looks like a bargain from the USA, can actually cost one hell of a lot more than you think.

One shop I found was excellent for service and they deal in Fenders was a shop in Napier. I can't remember the exact name but something like Manic Music, or Music Mania ????

I priced a MIA passive P Bass there a while ago on a sales trip and it worked out I could get it from them for about $150 more than importing myself with all the associated risks, plus having a friend in the USA who handles my expediting for free. I did not go ahead because I could not justify getting a 6th bass, but had I wanted it, I would have got it from them.

Years ago I imported a BTB1005 from Bass NW in the USA. It landed here for about $NZ3,200.00. It had trouble with the Bartolini EQ and had to have it replaced which cost me about $NZ150 by memory. I then found out through a mate who is a manager at one of the Musicworks stores, I could have got one from him for about $NZ 3,320.00 with a full warranty.

The real savings can be had if you buy whilst in the USA and can get the gear onto the plane ( or boat as I had my friend do who was on a cruise ) for free and you save on the freight PLUS you may get it through without GST at the border.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Music Machine is the shop you're thinking of. Richard Jackman is the owner, a lovely fella, his # is 06 8355183.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:29 pm

martyforrer wrote:Music Machine is the shop you're thinking of. Richard Jackman is the owner, a lovely fella, his # is 06 8355183.
That's the one. Funny, about 10 mins ago I found his card :mrgreen: