P-Bass - right first time

Your weapon of choice
john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:30 pm

yeah dan i was compleatly joking. thought id get more bites. :lol: .
my sis in law has a p bass, and lets just say when we go visit i dont do much talking. cant talk when my fingers are moving. beyond me how people can sing and play bass.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:44 am

beyond me how people can sing and play bass.
LOL - I like to keep it that way! I get work because of it. :D

Kev77
Bronze Member

Post by Kev77 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:20 pm

I heard a guy say once a Jazz is like the mistress, but you always come back to the Mrs - The Pbass - the she bass.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:57 pm

ha ha i like it . just a bit on the side . might give you a STI if you touch it too much.

morric

Re: P-Bass - right first time

Post by morric » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:55 pm

I don't have the employment problem, so I get to pick what sound I like (at least there are some advantages). I really like the sound that comes from a bridge pickup, so p/j or jazz for me. P pickups by themselves sound too sweet and warm for some moods I want to play.

That said, my avatar is of a Fender P (I just wish I felt confident that adding a J at the bridge wouldn't make a mess of it).

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:14 pm

at the moment my band makes edgy hard rock stuff so im more a fan of active more 'new school' sounding bass but im keen to add a good passive 'old school bass' to my options - whats better, a P or a J? it seems J's are more popular but the P is more distinct?

as far as 'always come back to the P-bass' that may have alot to do with the music we lean towards as we get older! :-)

raynor
Bronze Member

Post by raynor » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi
I owned all types of bass guitars in my 50 year playing career.I own two guitars:Ibanez EDB600 and Fender Precision.The Ibanez is good but Fender is like a Harley Davidson is to motor cycles.It is unique.I played for many groups in South Africa and still rocking with a good solid rock band here in NZ.By the way,I am 64 yrs old.
May the Prcision rule forever.
Regards
Ray :)

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:49 pm

Ray, you don't need to say in every single post how long you've been playing, and how awesome you are. What are you trying to prove? We're all musicians here, and all respect what each other does.....its not a competition.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:26 pm

i agree. dont mean to gang up. maybe you could put some of that expertise into the workshop some have been talking about. im 31 by the way :lol:

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:26 pm

raynor wrote:The Ibanez is good but Fender is like a Harley Davidson is to motor cycles.
Loud, showoffy and overrated? I don't think so. I would compare a Harley to an Ibanez.

On the subject of P basses, I rewired my pickups to parallel, slightly less mids (I know thats the point of the P bass) but it makes chaning between the P and a Ric way easier. I'm going to order a push/pull switch for it so I can get both sounds. This is what those "S-1 switching" Fender's do.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:21 pm

look at http://www.ebay.com.au

just $31000 should get you a Candy Apple Red '64.

raynor
Bronze Member

Post by raynor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Dan wrote:Ray, you don't need to say in every single post how long you've been playing, and how awesome you are. What are you trying to prove? We're all musicians here, and all respect what each other does.....its not a competition.
I have nothing to prove or compete with anyone.I am far from awesome, but thank you for the compliment anyway.I have and will always have respect for any musician.The only competition I do is I compete with myself.I follow the philosophy of "There will always be someone better than you and there will always be someone worse than you".
Sorry if I hit a nerve.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 am

Haha Kev,
I like that quote re: p bass and j bass.

I think this is a real interesting post. At the moment I've got gas for a p bass. But I used to think that they were as ugly as hell and not super versatile (what can you do with 1 tone & 1 pickup volume right?).
In more recent years I've started to be drawn to its sound which I (now) consider really distinctive.
What got me there:
* I really loved the sound Bob Babbit was using in the funk brothers documentary ("Standing in the shadows of Motown" - worth a look) which I gather is largely passive p bass with flat wound strings.
* I now listen to regular pop / funk songs and think "that sounds like a p bass and that sounds mint"... one song is "let's do it again" by Brand New Heavies
* Scott from Scott's Bass Lessons (the online tutor guy) demoed a p bass with flats and the tone rolled off.

And yeah, I always used to think "heaps of people use p basses or copies of them" - so cliche. Why would I want to get one? I used to think they're fugly but hey I've come full circle.

Can't be arsed shelling out for a US one and not sure about the mexi. Might try a Highway one.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 pm

lucky to have both now,but I gigged happily with a jazz for well over decade until I tried and promptly bought a new MIJ 70's series P bass couple of years ago
for me though its not really "all" to do with the P bass "sound" as I can make my jazz sound just as good to my ear,it's more to do with the awesome neck and how it feels when playing.
love my jazz and play it a lot at home but the P gets all the live action these days

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:14 pm

manofthematch wrote:Haha Kev,
I like that quote re: p bass and j bass.

I think this is a real interesting post. At the moment I've got gas for a p bass. But I used to think that they were as ugly as hell and not super versatile (what can you do with 1 tone & 1 pickup volume right?).
In more recent years I've started to be drawn to its sound which I (now) consider really distinctive.
What got me there:
* I really loved the sound Bob Babbit was using in the funk brothers documentary ("Standing in the shadows of Motown" - worth a look) which I gather is largely passive p bass with flat wound strings.
* I now listen to regular pop / funk songs and think "that sounds like a p bass and that sounds mint"... one song is "let's do it again" by Brand New Heavies
* Scott from Scott's Bass Lessons (the online tutor guy) demoed a p bass with flats and the tone rolled off.

And yeah, I always used to think "heaps of people use p basses or copies of them" - so cliche. Why would I want to get one? I used to think they're fugly but hey I've come full circle.

Can't be arsed shelling out for a US one and not sure about the mexi. Might try a Highway one.
Welcome to the club. Highway ones are great and don't rule out copies, it's where the split coil pickup is placed that makes the P tone eh
The whole not versatile thing is funny when considering all the styles the P bass has successfully covered.
I can see why someone who is used to blending between pickups and/or using an onboard pre amp to change tones might think so.
Or a finger player that anchors the thumb on the pick up or a pick player that always plays over the bridge would think that.
It's amazing the different tones you can get from where your right hand is, with or without a pick, intensity of the pluck, palm muting and strings. Then there is the passive tone control