NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Your weapon of choice
foal30
Gold Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:36 pm
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones
Location: Chch

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by foal30 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:54 am

what happened?
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

martyforrer
Gold Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:25 pm
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.
Location: Napier.

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Ha! I've been borderline CST in both hands for a few months now. I did two gigs with the RBV and both times I hurt, so I dropped it back to the shop. I cant take the risk of being unable to play for a year or so, and the CV 60s P is completely pain free. I've scaled back my upright gigs too because of the potential damage. It sucks big time. :x

User avatar
pins
Gold Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:43 pm
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.
Location: Napier

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by pins » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 pm

martyforrer wrote: CST ,RBV ,CV 60s P,is completely pain free
I need a new dictionary,plus I could almost make a rap out of that. You got to look after those hands and wrists when your young marty,we all know what more than 2 shakes equates.............cool another rhyme, :wink:
Nice to catch up last week and the best news is the P is keeping ya playing mate,and hey I love those Flatwounds thanks,still amazed you were putting,was it 7 ? year old strings on ya new P........ :D

User avatar
john
Gold Member
Posts: 2307
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 5:10 pm
Location: wellington

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by john » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:19 pm

CTS does not sound like fun. That sucks
But I am glad it is a P that is what is working for you.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:25 pm
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.
Location: Napier.

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Chris wrote:
martyforrer wrote: CST ,RBV ,CV 60s P,is completely pain free
I need a new dictionary,plus I could almost make a rap out of that. You got to look after those hands and wrists when your young marty,we all know what more than 2 shakes equates.............cool another rhyme, :wink:
Nice to catch up last week and the best news is the P is keeping ya playing mate,and hey I love those Flatwounds thanks,still amazed you were putting,was it 7 ? year old strings on ya new P........ :D
Glad them GHS flats are working ya Pins.
The TIs are 12 years old and have only just recently lost their zing, much to my relief. I hate zingy strings.
CST... Carpal tunnel Syndrome
RBV.... Roscoe Beck Five
CV.... Squier Classic Vibe ... the best bass available under $2K (for you... two thousand dollars :lol: )
And for your information, the reason I wear glasses is not because... um...er..... crap, maybe it is.... :oops:

User avatar
pins
Gold Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:43 pm
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.
Location: Napier

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by pins » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Your a legend mate ! and 12 year old strings ! ...
I guess I pity TI, sell a player a set of strings and unless they like zing you aint going to see em again for 12 years :lol:
And if they hate zing you'll never see em again......period :shock: love it

You would probably dig the sound of this mate,complete with green felt under the bridge(looks like its off a pool table to me),and yes flat wound strings that could be as old as the Bass,and its sitting here behind me.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad21 ... 012127.jpg

martyforrer
Gold Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:25 pm
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.
Location: Napier.

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Hey, yer sposed to mow under the trampoline as well as round it.... :lol:

Tim1
Gold Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 am

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by Tim1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:46 am

Hey Chris that looks very much like my 68 Telecaster bass except mine is blue. Killer sound, lows that punch and still has plenty of highs with the single coil pickup. More balls than any other bass I have played. I was just going to tell Marty that when I was having wrist issues using this bass solved them as it is a slab body with no cutout for your arm, which for me actually meant that it put my arm at a higher angle to the body which made a significant difference and allowed the wrist to heal.
Must be something about musos and wrists - Dusty's is still in plaster after six months, so frustrating doing casual gigs while it heals.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:25 pm
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.
Location: Napier.

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 am

I didn't know Dusty was out of action.... guess I'm out of the loop.... I'm loopless.... :lol:

User avatar
pins
Gold Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:43 pm
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.
Location: Napier

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by pins » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Tim1 wrote:Hey Chris that looks very much like my 68 Telecaster bass except mine is blue. Killer sound, lows that punch and still has plenty of highs with the single coil pickup. More balls than any other bass I have played. I was just going to tell Marty that when I was having wrist issues using this bass solved them as it is a slab body with no cutout for your arm, which for me actually meant that it put my arm at a higher angle to the body which made a significant difference and allowed the wrist to heal.
Must be something about musos and wrists - Dusty's is still in plaster after six months, so frustrating doing casual gigs while it heals.
Its not actually mine,the pick up looks like it was made in the shed,and to me it sounds and plays awful,aside from being painted purple with what looks like brush,and yeah lol at Jansen just making a complete copy of a Fender.With some tlc Im sure it would shine in its own way.
Shame about Dusty still out of action,bloomin guitards :lol: I had a couple of jams with Justin a month or so ago,he's great,a drummer I really enjoyed to jam with,solid ! you 2 must gel huh ?

Marty you to get in the loop ?, borrow my Boss Looper pedal !

Tim1
Gold Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 am

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by Tim1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Yep, been playing with Justin nearly 25 years now, we know each other pretty well. Dusty's plaster just came off so we had our first practice in six months lastweekend. Amazing the guy could pick up a guitar and play like that when his wrist is still wasted away. All good, like pulling on an old sock. We've got a Harley rally coming up in a couple of months which should be a good test - basically going back to a three piece blues band for a while which is what we know best of all.

User avatar
pins
Gold Member
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:43 pm
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.
Location: Napier

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by pins » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Nice to hear the wheel is rolling again,I remember seeing you guys at the Cabana about 25 years ago !
I am also fortunate to have been with the same guitard and drummer for around 24 years now,you develop a special relationship in that period of time,where you know whats going to happen musically before it happens.
Like to catch you up one day for a beer and talk *BANNED* about Bass. :D

wtf it banned the word *BANNED* ! what gives,hey its the year 2012 btw such words are in the dictionary for gods sake.

foal30
Gold Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:36 pm
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones
Location: Chch

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by foal30 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:37 pm

sorry to hear that Marty. I hope a non-surgical solution can be found comrade.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

martyforrer
Gold Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:25 pm
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.
Location: Napier.

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Chris wrote:Nice to hear the wheel is rolling again,I remember seeing you guys at the Cabana about 25 years ago !
I am also fortunate to have been with the same guitard and drummer for around 24 years now,you develop a special relationship in that period of time,where you know whats going to happen musically before it happens.
Like to catch you up one day for a beer and talk *BANNED* about Bass. :D

wtf it banned the word *BANNED* ! what gives,hey its the year 2012 btw such words are in the dictionary for gods sake.
That does it! Pins.... you're banned! The ban will last from the time of this post until the next time you check in. So there...... calling my good mate Jas a guitard! Never heard such blasphemy.... :mrgreen:

martyforrer
Gold Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:25 pm
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.
Location: Napier.

Re: NBD: Fender Roscoe Beck Fiver.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:28 pm

foal30 wrote:sorry to hear that Marty. I hope a non-surgical solution can be found comrade.
Thanks Foal. I'm dead against surgery. Rest and avoidance of pain or burning is my method. Fortunately I'm able to play the upright without any trouble since I taught myself to use a very light touch with my left hand. The avoidance is why I decided to go back to a four stringer bass guitar.

Post Reply