Neck swapping on Jazz and P basses

Your weapon of choice
T-Dub
Gold Member

Neck swapping on Jazz and P basses

Post by T-Dub » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 pm

I have an American Standard Jazz and an American Standard Precision, and I thought I'd swapping the necks over a go.

The Precision has a big, fat, groovetastic neck. It's not built for speed; faster passages can get a little sloppy if you're not concentrating but it makes up for allowing you to really dig in under the groove at the nut.

The Jazz has a lightening quick neck, incredibly easy to play very fast runs; playing near the nut needs a bit more care and feels a little too compressed to allow you to groove as easily there.

So I thought, since I have both, I might as well see if I can get on with the P Bass having a super quick neck, and the Jazz a big, fat one.

The result was pretty interesting, I really enjoy the Jazz having a fat neck on it, helps to get a good deep groove going.
The P Bass now plays insanely fast as well as sounding amazing but I can't help but feel I'm a P Bass neck fan. The congestion I feel at the nut is probably not going to work out too well live. I really enjoy the width of the P Bass neck live as it gives me more margin for error, with more space between the strings.

Pretty cool experiment though, and it's convinced me that I'm going to get a luthier to route out extra space under the Jazz pickguard to put a P pickup in, and get a new pickguard so the Jazz becomes a convertable P/J.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Neck swapping on Jazz and P basses

Post by pins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Yep concept is good,I did the same but with less worthy donors,a MIM J and Squire P (Antz one shhhhh) .
I have played J style basses for near 20 years and only a newcomer to the P bass,and was looking at the opposite actually.
I thought I wanted the J neck that I was used too, but with the P tone which was new and growly,but then discovered after swapping I actually wanted the P neck if that makes sense with either with J or P body. :lol:
Yet again I didn't know what I wanted.

To this day I am still no further ahead ,even after buying a decent P bass.
Instead of being happy with both I ended up buying a Warwick Star Bass............. and haven't gigged the P or J since :wink: so far so good.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Sounds like my basses. I have two basses that can be a j/j or a p/j and and I'm was just planning to do another neck swap over the weekend. My jazz bass has come back to life but the neck is getting bit old and munted :) needs a new neck soon! But I'll put the p on there for the time being :)
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Psst. Pictures of your jazz?
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Well, the update to this is that I swapped them back.

The P ended up being lightening quick but I found that I couldn't do big punchy feel done by the nut as well as I could before. I gained speed but lost feel on the P.

The Jazz got really heavy, and sluggish to play. It was pretty cool but I found it really lost its Jazz flavour. The pickups are Model J's so they sound more like a thunderbird than a Jazz anyway.

Swapped the necks back over and it works better. It made me want to actually accentuate the unique flavour of the Jazz actually.
I've put Model J pickups which are humbuckers with loads of low end and mids, which made it a lot closer to a P in tone. I had recently seriously contemplated getting ASH to route under the pickguard so I could put some P pickups at the neck of the jazz, making it a convertible P/J with a new pickguard. There's already a very large route from the factory there so I couldn't have gone for the Bass of Doom look anyway.

After swapping back, I realised that what I kept trying to do was make another precision out of my Jazz, which is stupid because I already own an awesome P bass. So I decided to take out the preamp, take out the Model J's, take out the fancy series/parallel switching for each pickup and get back to the tones that make a Jazz a Jazz, and try to get away from trying to make it an almost-P bass.

I tried to put the original Jazz pickups back in but the bridge pickup has very low output, something's wrong there, and in any case the Original pickups sounded a big meh, nothing particularly classic Jazzish about them. I now have some Nordstrand NJ4 single coils coming which should get me a very good Jazz tone. It also means that all my basses have nordstrand pickups in them. The pickup maker Carey must have similar ears to me because I love his pickups. I avoided going Noiseless because I wanted to get as close as possible to an early Jazz bass tone and I like the bite of single coils.
Last edited by T-Dub on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Good call getting rid of the preamp and extra electronics. Leo got it right first time. He also got it right with the MusicMan which he designed with the idea of active electronics. Now if you really want that jazz to sing and be easy to play, put on some TI flats and give them a couple of months to wear in. I run them on my J and P basses now and would find it hard to go back to roundwounds on them, although my 68 Telecaster bass suits rounds better.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 am

Yeah, I'm a TI guy for life too. Every couple of years I get to thinking I should try out the latest strings, or I get the opportunity for a good deal on some strings. However, I always end up going back to the TIs. You'd think I'd learn .....

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 am

Well, the update to this is that I swapped them back.

:lol:
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 am

foal30 wrote:Well, the update to this is that I swapped them back.

:lol:
Yeah, it's pretty interesting/chuckle worthy reading my two posts back to back.
It's like I'm appreciating them for what they are or something weird like that.

I'm going to try a set of GHS precision flats on the Jazz as well, purely because I'm a mood to appreciate Ben Kenny from Incubus.
I briefly owned a set of TI flats that I never opened because I needed to get some coin but I have played them on a Jazz before and they were pretty cool.
They're the closest I've ever gotten to an upright's tone from an electric bass, not so sure how they'll work in my usual rock contexts.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 am

The TI flats are great on a P, thanks. :D
You are more then welcome to come and try them out

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Where can one purchase a set of TI flats?

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:59 pm

I got mine off ebay, didn't know anyone in NZ that sold them.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Guitarstuff NZ will import TI Flats for you. Takes about three weeks, although it is just as easy to import your own - try Just Strings from memory. I have used both sources successfully.

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Musicways import them. Here is the link on their website (website by none other than Sussex Web Design :D ). I got a set from my local music shop asking them to get some down from Musicways.

http://www.musicways.co.nz/customer/pro ... =21&page=1. This is the 4 string set but the list 5-strings as well. They have a link to a list of local dealers. Doesn't mean they have any in the country, but you could try there.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:14 am

Worth knowing. Thanks for that, joppo. Another source for my favourite strings. :D