Learner Bass Warwick Rockbass vs Sterling SUB Series Ray4

Your weapon of choice
MarkO

Learner Bass Warwick Rockbass vs Sterling SUB Series Ray4

Post by MarkO » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi - this is my first post and I appreciate that this is probably an impossible question to answer and is very subjective. I am an experienced musician however very new to the bass - it is an instrument that I have wanted to play for some time. I'm currently playing a real learner bass just to see whether it is for me or not. I am putting in around 1.5 hours practice a day and I am keen to move to a better bass that plays within my limits at the moment. The 2 that I have been looking at are the Warwick Rockbass Corvette Standard and the Sterling SUB Series Ray4. I could go either way based on play and feel however I am wondering if anyone out there has a view if one is definitely better than the other or not. I would appreciate any advise/thoughts - cheers

timi
Gold Member

Re: Learner Bass Warwick Rockbass vs Sterling SUB Series Ray

Post by timi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:20 am

I'd get a pro setup on your current bass if you haven't already, you might find that keeps you happy for now.

Of those two I'm sure both are well build, they are cheap ranges of big brands that don't want a bad rep. You didn't mention tone, keep in mind Stingrays have a really particular sound (really bright and zingy). The Warwick would probably be more versatile sonically but you will have to get baggy pants, tribals and frosted tips to match it 8)

In this price range I'd look at the upper end of Squier but it's personal preference, I'm a boring Fender guy. Go with your instinct!

MarkO

Post by MarkO » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks that is useful - Ive never looked that flash in baggys so it might be the SUB! Cheers

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 pm

I can add a little of recent experience to this thread.
I am in the process of swapping my MIA Jazz (just dont use it anymore) for a drum kit (for my 16 yo son) and also either a Squier VM Jazz,a Squier CV Jazz or a Sterling Ray4 thrown in as well.
Tried all three of the basses,and hey little difference between the CV and VM,a Jazz is a Jazz,both sound similar,both feel similar etc,etc.Not a lot of difference just the VM looks sexier.
The Sterling sounds really awesome with the active pups and blending options,I really really love it,was going to take it to a jam last night BUT every time I pick it up its like picking up a lead anchor,honestly it's really darn heavy compared to all my other basses,too heavy and such a shame as it has great potential.I wont be taking it as part of the trade so will grab the VM Jazz instead,at least it doesn't weigh a ton.
So be aware that the Sterling is a real heavy bass to have slung over your shoulder for 3-4 hours,but if your not a skinny prick like me it may be no issue at all,and is a great bass with lots of tonal options.If it weighed the same as my P bass I would have one in an instant.
I also have a Warwick Star Bass ( i used that last night instead) which is also a fantastic bass,a personal fav, and weighs a lot less.
Still havn't got round to getting the baggy pants,tribals or frosted tips to match it yet,but its on the the "to do list".

MarkO

Post by MarkO » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Cheers Chris - I am a skinny prick and I agree that the SUB is a heavy beast. It is all down to subjective preference I guess and given that these are both entry level basses for an entry level player it is not a huge investment. I am sincerely hoping that it is not the last bass that I buy - I can imagine that this could get a bit addictive!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:51 pm

It is addictive for some oops :oops: ,hey here are the choices I have, the Squier Jazz VM or the Sterling...are we looking at same model Sterling MarkO ?

I cant believe how well the Jazz plays and sounds,a very nice bass for bucks.As timi suggested maybe worth look too ?

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:49 pm

What a lineup!! 8) can't take my eye away from the Gretsch!!! :shock: That's a hot lookin bass...
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 pm

sure have that eye candy going on pins 8)