Sadowsky!!

Your weapon of choice
Tim1
Gold Member

Sadowsky!!

Post by Tim1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Just purchased the dark cherry Sadowsky Metro MV4 from Bass Gear Direct in Sydney. Maple fingerboard on ash body and an amazing deal - free delivery, discount and no need to pay Aussie tax, although no doubt I will be hit by NZ customs. Weighs under 8.5 pounds. I have a Bergantino NV115 cab on the way from them and stupidly started drooling over the basses on their site. Convinced myself on the grounds that although I have a lovely 68 Jazz and Custom Shop Precision I do not have a maple fretboard bass. I don't normally like active basses but for a Sadowsky I will make an exception :D . More details to follow when it arrives.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Sadowsky!!

Post by pins » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:06 pm

jeeze and I thought I had some serious GAS issues :shock: ......dark cherry AND MAPLE...I'm drooling already :D

cant wait to hear the verdict on both items,early xmas for some indeed. :wink:

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 am

To be honest, pins, I would settle for just one bass if I could get just half the amount of work you guys do :mrgreen: . Blues can be a limited audience when you have stopped touring and it does not help that Justin has stitches in his leg at the moment. Have to be content at the moment with dropping in some bass lines at Scotty's studio for Wyn's new project or maybe start something on the side myself. Oh well, been saying that for years :| .
On the other hand it was quite rewarding yesterday doing a "how to setup, maintain and intonate your instrument" workshop for some young musos. Neither do I want to become a dinosaur :oops: .
Oh, and on the major plus side - ordered the bass yesterday, went online this morning and my tax rebate has arrived :D . Thirty years ago the IRD audited me for music then gave me a lesson on how to write gear etc off against income. It has saved me many thousands over the years.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Ha tim,all I can say I have been somewhat blessed and cursed at the same time with our gigging over the last 24/25 years.And so glad I didn't quit around 7 years ago because that was when I discovered GAS and a new found love for playing,as admittedly I was stagnant and lazy for way too many years.
So I say good on ya tim for buying gear that turns your crank as thats what its all about,happiness,and its justly deserved rewards for years of toil,and a hobby :D (well thats my excuse)

and you guys have had a bad run on the injury front :( had my fair share of motorbike accidents myself,still got 3 old dirt bikes,better watch myself :wink:

Bring on the Sadowsky, I had a look on their site and it looks stunning and so bloody light ! 8)

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:43 am

Got to agree with you on all of that, Pins. Must try to keep things in perspective. On the plus side my tax refund arrived yesterday and we took two new bookings, so things aren't that bad - so long as everyone remains healthy. I guess I just have to accept that I am a bit of a gear whore and GAS is a recognisable addiction in our community. Gotta love the IRD for letting us write it off, really :lol: . A long time ago I was playing covers in Hamilton when I got the dreaded "Please explain " letter from the taxman. They were actually very helpful and for the past thirty odd years I have had regular support from them in the form of an annual deposit - a great justification for buying new gear :roll: .
Bass and cabinet have already arrived in Auckland, waiting to hear what the import duty will be.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Well, it arrived yesterday. It is more than I expected. The setup is simply phenomenal - neck almost straight, low action and no fret buzz (and I play hard). I have never had a useable action like this. The tone is intuitive and easy to find a good sound, I am delighted that the preamp bypass does give a very real passive Fender tone, especially with the vintage tone control (read treble roll off). The active treble and bass are boost only, the bass will get the most use as I can't see me using more than a touch of treble as she is so live. This bass is taut, controlled, punchy but still very natural in a way that other active basses I have owned could never achieve. The cost to me including duty was $2970 and frankly I can't think of a bass within at least a thousand bucks that comes close to it for my purposes (a very subjective comment, I know - but I have a reasonable handle of what is around and this one suits me very well. Others may differ).
In summary, great action and tone and a nice tool to add to the armoury next to the 68 Jazz and CS Precision. If I had to keep just one it would no doubt be the 68 which has a vintage mojo money just can't buy, but I think the Sadowsky will be getting all the work for quite a while. I will know more after this weekend's gig, sometimes a bass can be very different in a band setting but I don't think this one will have any issues.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 am

Onya Tim1 !