NBD - Warwick Triumph

Your weapon of choice
joppo

NBD - Warwick Triumph

Post by joppo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:49 pm

This arrived by courier today :mrgreen: A Warwick Rockbass Triumph Lite. Thanks to Marty for checking it out for me and Dave at the Rockshop for sorting it.
warwick.jpg
Here it is with all of its siblings. From left to right, it goes UBass, MTD Saratoga 5, Spector Spectorcore, the new Triumph and Squier VM Fretless Jazz.
quiver.jpg
Now I have to learn how to play it! So far I am miles out. Have got "Walking on the moon" sounding somewhat OK, but everything else is a disaster :lol:

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: NBD - Warwick Triumph

Post by martyforrer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:14 am

It was a pleasure to check that out for ya. I would have bought it myself if you didn't want it.

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:24 am

That looks stunning!

Always wanted to try a Triumph. My mate had one of the first ones in Blue oil-stain but he never used it and sold it on before I got a chance to have a go!

How does it sound?
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL,8x10
Ampeg SVT 4PRO, 610
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg Micro VR rig (4sale)
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Yeah that looks fantastic Nev. I'm very jealous. How does it sound?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:35 pm

I played it unplugged, and it played very nicely, way better than Staggs and Palatinos, and it sounded great unplugged. I might have to ask the RS if they're going to get any more in.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Awesome, I didn't know you could play it unplugged too .... was it just a one off?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Wow,and Warwick make them. Enjoy it,and nice wee collection going on there too :D

At the age now of 50,I realise I have never even had the pleasure to actually hold any upright bass,ever :(

joppo

Post by joppo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:23 pm

At the age of 48, I realised the same thing Pins, and thought life is too short.....

I played it for almost three hours last night. My left hand needs strengthening, I've almost worn the skin off my 2 plucking fingers and the finger board is terrifyingly bare of any marks to help hit the right note, but it is simply awesome! It seems to be really well built and has a really nice tone when amplified. It is passive (volume /tone controls). It definitely sounds different to a fretless bass. The high action means there is less sustain and no fretless mwah. Can't say how much it sounds like an upright because I haven't really played one. I promise to do a video or recording when I start to get the hang of this, but in the mean time, here is the only youtube video I've found that has a halfway decent recording of what it sounds like.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Talk about Growl !
Hey for what its worth,I would be even more pathetic on an unmarked fretless !!!! :lol:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Awesome, Nev!!!!
And like Pins said, you have a great looking collection there, very versatile.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Nice one Nev

I had a go on a Framus 2 weeks back, it looks quite similar to your new instrument.Not entirely convinced my technique was good enough to produce either music or tone acoustically. :lol: Amplified (through an amazing little amp Ibanez Promethean) things got better

Definitely different to fretless, but also considerably different to Double Bass

Are you practising Arco?
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

joppo

Post by joppo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:55 am

No P bass yet John :wink: plus there is the custom one I'm building (I'm radiusing the fingerboard at the moment - very slow work!).

Haven't tried a bow yet Foal. I definitely intend to, but trying to tame my wayward left hand before I take another challenge on.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:23 am

When you get the P you can throw all the other away ;)

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:24 pm

The trick to left hand is to use the Simandl technique, Four fingers cover three " frets" with the 1st, 2nd, and fourth hitting the notes. The 3rd finger supports the pinky, because they share the same tendon. Thumb in the back of the neck, and you can pivot off the thumb to get the 4th " fret". Right hand.... thumb on the side of the fingerboard, use the side of the first finger, not the tip. The finger strokes the string from the big knuckle to the fleshy part with a strong, firm action. Most good players play this way, much fatter sound than using fingertips. Fingertips is really more for soloing, fast passages etc. Slow scales with a bow is the key to learning good intonation. Your left hand should look like the letter C, and the action of both hands comes from the shoulder, not the wrist.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Marty, that has to be one of the most practically useful and valuable posts I have yet to come across. So much information and so well presented in such in such a small space. If I ever get around to finally getting an upright and some spare time I will be asking you for lessons (since my drummer has suddenly found "true love" :roll: in Sydney and cancelled all gigs :shock: for a while that might be sooner rather than later ).