Ibanez Prestige and Premium basses

Your weapon of choice
greghr
Bronze Member

Ibanez Prestige and Premium basses

Post by greghr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:09 am

Hi
Anyone got any latest thoughts about the qualities or otherwise of the latest Ibanez Premium and Prestige basses? Are they really worth the prices listed on Musicworks sites?
$2749.00 for the 4 string SR prestige oiled and $2095.00 for the SR Premium 25th 4 string.
Thanks

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Ibanez Prestige and Premium basses

Post by pins » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:49 pm

I used to have an Ibanez SR1000e,bought it new back in the day.I paid $1650 for it which was a lot of coin in 1992/3.
Unsure what a half decent Fender was worth,lol even at 30 they still didn't even interest me at all then,and the Ibanez in an unusual metallic blue was just pure win with a great neck too.

I did a ton of gigs with that bass,used it for years and was more than happy with it until I played then bought a MIM Fender Jazz ($400 bargain !!!),sadly I didn't want to play the Ibanez any more and sold it.
Big regrets selling it but I have met the current owner recently and told him I want to buy it back.Will wait and see what happens.

I would expect the Prestige and Premium models mentioned above are top quality,play and sound great and an option if you dont like the common run of the mill basses.

Be nice to try one.They look the part.Yum !

http://www.musicworks.co.nz/4-string-ba ... ass-oiled/

My Fender Jazz set me back $2800 when new,no reason a top quality Ibanez is not worth the same I guess.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Pins.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:54 pm

I don't have an SR Prestuge, but I do have a Japanese built Ibanez BTB1005EOL. I'll never sell that bass, the workmanship is superb and the neck is great despite the 35" scale and 19mm string spacing.

I paid about $3,200.00 to bring it into the country back in about 2002 when $NZ1:00 = $US 0.51 and later on added Carey Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups and Audere on board EQ, an extra $1800.00. Worth every penny. This bass always gets great comments about its looks and tone.

I've had MIA Fender Jazzes, and then sold them. Nothing wrong with the Fenders but they weren't a patch on the BTB tone or feel wise.

Japanese built Ibanez basses are a great investment IMO
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info