Dingwall Combustion on its way!

Your weapon of choice
Tim1
Gold Member

Dingwall Combustion on its way!

Post by Tim1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:28 am

Having toyed with five strings occasionally over the years, I recently purchased a Musicman Sub fiver on TradeMe to see whether I: a) could use one and b) would get much use out of it in a typical gig. Found I could get used to it and there were some (very few really) numbers where it could be an asset. However, I am a little uncomfortable with the low tension of the B string on a 34" neck, even with a heavier gauge string.
Long story short, after a fair bit of research I have just ordered a Dingwall Combustion 5 with the fanned fret system. For those who are unfamiliar, each string has a different scale length with the B at 37" and the G less than 34" I suppose. Consensus seems to be they are fairly easy to adjust to and instinctive to play. Reviews very positive. Benefits include even string tension across every string and absolutely perfect intonation. Anyway, time will tell. Bass unfortunately won't arrive for a couple of months - patience not one of my virtues! I will post a pic when it turns up.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: Dingwall Combustion on its way!

Post by martyforrer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 am

You're just a bass whore Tim!

Haha, those Dingwalls are tits.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 pm

I know, I know Marty. Just can't help myself, I had reduced the collection down to two a year or so ago and now it is six. I blame Pins, he started me off again (note the tendency to avoid accepting personal responsibility where gear is concerned :oops: ).

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

I tried several fan fretted basses in the USA when I took my son there for a two month trip. They felt real nice to play and the Dingwalls sounded great. I would have bought one but I'd already blown the budget on the trip and didn't want a divorce to face when I got home with yet another bass with a $US5k price tag :mrgreen:

You'll love your fan fret bass Tim1
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Interwesting sewection grasshopper, you are pwogwessing vewy well 8)

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:26 pm

pins wrote:Interwesting sewection grasshopper, you are pwogwessing vewy well 8)
Three Boys # 6 ????
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info