bass set up

Your weapon of choice
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

bass set up

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:34 am

Can anyone recommend a good place on the Nth Shore to get a bass set up done? I think it just needs the intonation / string height done
My vintage modified squire jazz has not had one since I bought it back in Feb... and when I'm playing I can hear my finger picking through the amp and not just the notes I'm playing - like the strings are hitting the pickups when I play?.... also when I played it acoustically at home last night (no amp) the strings sounded like they were buzzing on some of the frets.

I took my old bass to the Rock Shop about 2-3 years ago and didn't really notice any difference, although it was only about $60 from memory...

I could adjust the bridge myself with allen keys, but I'd probably make a mess of it!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

bronzet
Silver Member

Re: bass set up

Post by bronzet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:39 pm

I recommend Mr Glyn, however he is located in Grafton/CBD area. If you are unable to get your bass there to Grafton, have you ever considered doing the work yourself? If you are correct and only need to adjust the string height and intonation, then there are plenty of video clips out there on the internet/youtube showing you how to do it correctly - it is pretty easy to adjust the string height and intonation properly.
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm

bronzet wrote:I recommend Mr Glyn, however he is located in Grafton/CBD area. If you are unable to get your bass there to Grafton, have you ever considered doing the work yourself? If you are correct and only need to adjust the string height and intonation, then there are plenty of video clips out there on the internet/youtube showing you how to do it correctly - it is pretty easy to adjust the string height and intonation properly.

yes I thought I'd have a look on youtube and see what I can find... will make a change from watching crazy cat videos LOL!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 am

well I went into youtube and typed in 'setting up bass...." and spent about 2 hours watching different 'tutorial' videos on how to adjust the string height, truss rod, intonation...etc... I managed to do the truss rod ok I think and will do string height / intonation tonight.
Even though I've played bass for over 20 years I've never done a set up myself....

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:45 am

Doing bass setup is easy and fun once you've done it once or twice. Not to mention saving $$$. Plus you get to set it up exactly to suit your own playing style. Good on you for giving it a go.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:12 pm

martyforrer wrote:Doing bass setup is easy and fun once you've done it once or twice. Not to mention saving $$$. Plus you get to set it up exactly to suit your own playing style. Good on you for giving it a go.
A massive +1.
Especially the 'set it up exactly to suit your own playing style' part

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:22 pm

thanks guys - I did the intonation tonight
play E string in tune then play E string on 12th fret and if it is sharp turn screw to left if flat turn screw to right until in tune (or is that the other way around?).... got all strings perfect except D string, didn't want to go in tune on 12th fret no matter how much I adjusted it, but it was close enough.
Will have a try with the amp tomorrow and see how it sounds - get it right before gig on Saturday night :D

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:16 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:. got all strings perfect except D string, didn't want to go in tune on 12th fret no matter how much I adjusted it, but it was close enough.
That can happen to old strings.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:20 pm

The next step you might consider, and one which I have found has a huge effect on feel is nut height. You really only need to do this once but it is well worth the effort. Manufacturers naturally set the nut at a standard height to suit as many as possible - you would be surprised what a huge difference dropping a couple of thou at the nut can make to improving the action. At a pinch a set of small files from mitre 10 will do it, but I would recommend buying a couple of proper nut files (you can roll a file to make it cover the next gauge up). It is just a case of taking it easy, tape the top of the first fret to avoid accidentally marking it and a bit of tape on the headstock next to the nut. Ball park guideline is hold the string down on the third fret and you should here a small plink when you tap the string on top of the first fret. And angle the file slightly down towards the headstock.
I realise this is not the advice you were seeking and may be going a step too far for comfort, but I really wish I had been more active on this front thirty years ago - I may have still had some of the basses I regret selling. Of course the nut may be cut fine already for your tastes in which case just ignore this prattle.... :wink:

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 pm

thanks guys - the strings are about 3-4 weeks old... and it was only the D string that was a tiny bit sharp
I plugged it all in today and it all sounded fine.... tiny bit of buzz on the D string maybe after 5th fret - hard to tell

see how it goes at tomorrow nights gig

not too keen to mess with the nut - not that confident filing the nut

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 am

All good, take things slowly. Hope it all works out for you. Working on your own guitar can be a hugely rewarding experience, something I encourage with my students. Strangely enough the younger ones seem much more willing to have a go - and no doubt at times our local luthier profits from this enthusiasm :wink:

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:11 pm

I just raised the D string half a turn in the saddle and re-tuned it and all ok...

sounded good at Saturday nights gig... last week drummer wanted me to turn up mids and treble on my amp so he could hear the notes clearer, but after playing with my amp / cab on Friday and getting a good sound (in my garage) I was reluctant to do that as I don't like it sounding too trebley, so I just turned the horn up a bit and drummer said '*BANNED* that sounds mint'... so all was good!