Which music course in Auckland, MAINZ or UNITEC???

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
KAHA
Bronze Member

Which music course in Auckland, MAINZ or UNITEC???

Post by KAHA » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the forum and am a photographer based in Perth, WA looking at returning to Auckland after 20 years away :shock: to take up bass again. It's been nearly 10 years since I played and I'm looking at enrolling either at Unitec or MAINZ as they both offer a certificate and diploma in contemporary music.

My question which is the best course out of these two institutions in terms of gear access, studio equipment, tutor and industry experience, course information, structured outcomes etc. does one of these schools have a better reputation? are they any good? :arrow: which has the best Bass Instructor? has anyone attended any of them :?:

Also I'm looking at buying a 75' reissue Fender Jazz Bass and Eden Nemesis NA650 or EN700 can any one tell me who the Dealers are in Auckland for these items? I'll also check this forums FOR SALE & Trade Me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :wink:
Last edited by KAHA on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Behind every successful man is a surprised woman

KAHA
Bronze Member

Re: Which music course in Auckland, MAINZ or UNITEC???

Post by KAHA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Anyone :?:

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Heya bro,

I can't really comment on either of those schools. I know alot of people are quite happy with Mainz. I have a feeling Auckland Universary has a contemporary course now too, which would be worth looking into.

KAHA
Bronze Member

Post by KAHA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:50 pm

Dan wrote:Heya bro,

I can't really comment on either of those schools. I know alot of people are quite happy with Mainz. I have a feeling Auckland Universary has a contemporary course now too, which would be worth looking into.
Thanks Dan,

I'll look into AU asap. I don't want to do the Bachelor of Jazz at Massey as I'm looking for something more casual to slowly get back into the swing of things as I haven't played for a few years, I may consider the BA of Music further down the track.

Cheers :)

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 pm

KAHA wrote:Also I'm looking at buying a Sadowsky Metro MV4 and Eden Nemesis NA650 or EN700 can any one tell me who the Dealers are in Auckland for these items? I'll also check this forums FOR SALE & Trade Me.
Hi ya Kaha
www.Musicworks.co.nz are the Eden agents I believe. The Eden amps come up on trademe every now and then so it's worth keeping an eye out there.
:-)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

KAHA
Bronze Member

Post by KAHA » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:30 am

beagle wrote:
KAHA wrote:Also I'm looking at buying a Sadowsky Metro MV4 and Eden Nemesis NA650 or EN700 can any one tell me who the Dealers are in Auckland for these items? I'll also check this forums FOR SALE & Trade Me.
Hi ya Kaha
http://www.Musicworks.co.nz are the Eden agents I believe. The Eden amps come up on trademe every now and then so it's worth keeping an eye out there.
:-)
Thanks mate,

Found an NA650 on trade me.

Cheers,

David :D

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:14 am

KAHA wrote: Thanks mate,
Found an NA650 on trade me.
Cheers,
David :D
ha ha... see what did I tell ya! :lol:
Loads of features on those huh.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

chrispurchase

Post by chrispurchase » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I've done the unitec course and if you are wanting to get better bass chops i wouldn't recommend it. The course doesn't have the a huge practical side to it you only do about 3 hours playing time a week and the gear in all honesty is all rubbish...

It does have it's good points but from the sound off it i don't think it'd suit you... if you want any more info let me know.

KAHA
Bronze Member

Post by KAHA » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:12 am

chrispurchase wrote:I've done the unitec course and if you are wanting to get better bass chops i wouldn't recommend it. The course doesn't have the a huge practical side to it you only do about 3 hours playing time a week and the gear in all honesty is all rubbish...

It does have it's good points but from the sound off it i don't think it'd suit you... if you want any more info let me know.
Thanks mate,

I think I'll pass on UNITEC, sounds uninspiring :roll:

I want to focus on technique, intonation, sightreading and jamming 24 hour non-stop groove sessions :D
Last edited by KAHA on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KAHA
Bronze Member

Post by KAHA » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:27 am

Can I ask, Who's the best luthier in Auckland?

I'll buy & modify a MIJ 75' reissue Fender Jazz :wink:

Thanks for any help, I'm excited about returning to Aotearoa and checking out the talent hear, can't wait, it's gonna be awsome :mrgreen: