Bass Tab

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
vespaman

Bass Tab

Post by vespaman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:33 am

Greetings, this is my first post, I hope this hasn't been covered in another post here.

Does any one have / know of a program that I could use to transpose a song into a tableture format ? I'm doing this because there isn't a lot of tab available for some NZ music and we like playing it in our band. I have had people ask me where I got the bass tab for The Dudes - Right first time - I listened to it (for ages) then wrote it down in a way I could refer to it as I learnt it but tableture it is'nt.

I'm not a fan of tableture at all but am:
1. Happy to help people that should develop thier ear
2. Have tab thats accurate
I'm reasonably computer literate so if anyone has a link that would be great.
74 Fender Precision, Trace Elliot combo 1 x 15" + 4 x 10"

alanp
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Frankencopter

Re: Bass Tab

Post by alanp » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Must admit I've only ever used other people's tab, never tried to create it, but I believe Powertab is a pretty good app: http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php

The tab it produces looks a LOT better than the average .txt file tab you get on most tab sites. It looks more like the professional tab you get in magazines, or books.

From their website:
"Power Tab Editor is a tablature authoring tool for the Windows operating system. It is intended to be used to create guitar sheet music, more commonly known to musicians as guitar tablature and bass tablature. (aka guitar tab/bass tab). The program provides the most commonly used symbols in tablature, including chord names, chord diagrams, rhythm slashes, bends, slides, hammer-ons/pull-offs, harmonics and palm muting. A useful piece of software for people who want to learn how to play guitar, and for experienced guitarists who want to transcribe their own music and/or guitar lessons. The software can be used by both acoustic and electric guitar players alike."

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Re: Bass Tab

Post by mjwhit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:06 am

Assuming your on Windows Powertab is an option.

Personally I much prefer GuitarPro, its nicer to use. However, unless you know were to find an illegal version you will have to pay for it. Worth the money though I reckon.

If i remember correctly powertab doesnt have drum capabilities. So in GuitarPro you can put all the instruments in and press play. It plays the music, and the tab follows along with the audio. Very helpful for learning songs.

It would be a great thing if more of us started tabbing NZ music. There really is bugger all out there.