Bliss by Th' Dudes Bass Tab?

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
piperj

Bliss by Th' Dudes Bass Tab?

Post by piperj » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey All, I'm new to the forum, so don't know if this is the right place to post the request. Does anyone have a good tab of the recorded version of Bliss - Th' Dudes. I can't find one anywhere on the web, and I am suck at working out the recorded version from just listening. So if anyone could help me out that would be fantastic.

Thanks
Musicman Stirling, Fender Jazz Fretless (with Lindy Fralin pickups, and Stellertone Tonestyler pot), Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0, Warwick 15" and 2x10" Cabs.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Re: Bliss by Th' Dudes Bass Tab?

Post by beagle » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:09 am

Welcome to the site piperj.
That could be a hard one to find.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:20 am

Yeah, hello.. Piperj

Take a look at this... http://playguitar.co.nz/Songs/Bliss.php
Its not bass tab, but the chords of the song, although I'm not that familiar with it to tell you if they are 100% correct but seems easy enough to work out.

Thats all I have...

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Yeah I would imagine it impossible to find.
It is not really a hard song to work out. A good one to get you started on working out songs by ear

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:59 am

This songs is a really fun song to play on bass aye, I found a tab years ago and learnt it but it looks like its pretty hard to find.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Kiwi pub anthem royalty.. I don't think I've ever played it! :mrgreen:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:23 pm

My Doctor was the original bass player for The Dudes - Peter Coleman.

He stopped playing for them to complete his studies. We always talk matters bass when I go see him. Great guy and a really good bass player.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

sels1

Post by sels1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:53 pm

piperj wrote: Does anyone have a good tab of the recorded version of Bliss - Th' Dudes. I can't find one anywhere on the web, and I am suck at working out the recorded version from just listening.
Yeah me too at this stage, and I was looking for that song as well. So does anybody out there have that tab, and feel charitable enough to post it?
Experience - something you get just after you needed it...

Fender Sting signature P - Ibanez TR P/J - Peavy 115

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:07 pm

cantankerous old man writes;

but that is why you are no good at it because you want TAB. Because TAB is easy and accessible we lose out in the long run.

seriously sit down, get a pencil and paper, headphones maybe, no shame in using the piano either, sing along, use your bass whatever...

if it takes ages, good. because it's a life long skill listening to learn a part. it's so important. give it a go it'll improve in leaps and bounds if you include in your daily practice regime.

Bass Player NZ challenge :twisted:
if your still stuck in 7 days I'll give it a go. but seriously mate HAVE A GO
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:12 pm

furthermore :D

it's like I am complaining because I suck at tapping, but I have never practiced this technique (or ever will) yet expect results? If I put 0 effort into something what is the likely hood of me being happy with the result? Judgmental foal says it is far easier to read a TAB than to sit down and try and figure a recorded part out. But the harder option has to be the better one in the long term right?

everybody can improve their ear
everybody can learn to read notation and theory
everybody can play with good technique

it's just practice.

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Foal is 1000% right.
I'm not great at it, but getting better I think.

I gave you the link to the chords of the song above (I don't know if they are right though), so start with them and play around with the major scale and pentertonic scale I guess and you should be half of the way there.
You'll also end up knowing the song backwards and what chord sequence it's made up of... so if you are at a jam and someone calls the song but in a different key... you'll be sweet as.

And who cares if it's not 100% right, put some of yourself in it.

It's hard for a while (and I still mostly suck), but just like being able to site read music it gets easier the more you practice.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:53 pm

ok, I've had a go

- I think about the tune and can't remember there being more than one part or section.
- It don't sound minor but that doesn't mean it isn't :D
- I don't remember anything memorable about the bassline except it may be prominent in the mix on certain stereo's.

CD I'm using is Nature's Best vol2

have a listen

yes, only 1 section, yes I am very sure it's not minor chords or key, yes the bassline is 'easy' for me to hear in it's prominence. (that's the mix not easy to transcribe)

2nd listen

I can't sing along with the bassline, give up and get bass

3rd listen

the intro riff is added too at (0:28) but I lost this part when the vox (yah yah yahs) come in

drum fill @ (0:58)
Bass line = slide from A into D D D A D G D F# D E
1 + 2 + 3

so 3x D , hold the third note. with the A, it has the same value as the D but cut the note short, make it punch or 'staccato'.
the guitar chord is probably a major chord

with the A chord, again the bass player is using a descending 'punch' of notes from the scale.
try the octave, b7, 6
(these are the same notes as used in the D chord)
the guitar chord is possibly a dominant chord

the E chords which goes for the combined time value of the D and A chords is pretty much '4 riffs'

how does this sound
E E F# G# E E D
let the D hold over for a full beat count, the other notes as 8th notes
start that E from the A string 7th fret
the guitar chord is probably a dominant chord

the intro if I had to play it
is just descending I reckon
F# to E to D to C# then A

Dan and Rog? how do you do it?

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:55 am

I agree with Foal 100%. The way to improve yourself is not by that abomination called tab, but by working out the bassline by listening, over and over. Do you think that Dobbin and Tex wrote that song using tab?
This is one of my pet peeves. Learning to read notation is barely harder than reading tab, and is a lot more accurate from the point of the rhythmic nuances.
In the last few weeks I have played seven paying gigs that required reading notation. No read = no gigs. And, I'm in the loop for a bunch more, all reading.
Would you take your car to a mechanic who had learnt to fix cars by reading a book? Or hire a plumber who had done a 7 day mail-order course in plumbing? Tab is not the way to become a good musician.
Sorry for the rant..... my fingers ran away on me.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 pm

Go Marty :twisted: hey I would be keen to have a look at that P neck too mate :)

Bliss is a song I have never sat down to "learn" as its not in our set list although we used to jam it years ago.
Every now and then we get "forced" into playing it and tbh I really dont know what I play but it sounds close enough and seems to fit the tune.Never ends up as a train wreck anyway.

I am pretty guilty for not playing things "exactly" how they should be but hey thats just me and when you play covers hundreds and hundreds of times over it would totally boring playing them note for note exactly the same every time, especially to a bunch of boozed nobody's at a wedding for example.
We discussed this last night after the gig how as long as the core and structure of the song is there and all the vocals are correct everything else is open to interpretation,thats what keeps it interesting and enjoyable for me.
The average punter will pick out wrong lyrics in covers long before figuring out if the bassist just played a bum note :lol:

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:22 pm

That's so right. The artist who has a hit seldom does it the same way twice, especially when they have to play it night after night on a world tour. It's the essence of the song that''s important, not the fine details. Considering the drugs that were around, I'd be surprised if Bliss ever got played the same way twice. :mrgreen: