Need to know guitar before learning bass?

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
kitty

Need to know guitar before learning bass?

Post by kitty » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:37 pm

As above. My partner was complaining to me that i should know how to play a guitar before learning bass :? Im not completely musicly challenged tho, had several years exp in the woodwind dept, but Ive always liked bass and wana give it a go. Not so interested learning guitar, but if i must :P

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Complaining huh :lol:. Nah guitar isn't needed. It's an advantage but not necessary. As you already play an instrument and understand the fundamentals of music then you have a head start.

kitty

Post by kitty » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:02 am

eexcellent. :mrgreen: thanks beagle

(yep complaining. coz he plays guitar. :p)

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:03 am

Hey Kitty,

While a grounding in guitar may help a little, in my opinion the approach to playing bass or guitar is very different.

The beauty of bass, is that alot of stuff is quite simplistic and beginners can play through alot of stuff, but on the other end of the spectrum you can pursue a certain virtuostic standard and play (I think) better stuff than any guitarist out there :P

Start out on bass, and with your musical background already, you should settle into it easily :)

Smee

Post by Smee » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:43 am

...mind you, knowing how to play chords on the guitar helps with scales on the bass.
I love cats........they taste like chicken

JesusCrux

Post by JesusCrux » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:53 am

i'd recommend learning bass first... but that's only from what i know... i've played guitar for about 7 years and now that i've started learning bass i'm finding it a bit less interesting, and i'm guessing that if i learnt bass first i'd have lots more fun learning guitar later

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:16 pm

I think most people start on guitar and then move to bass. Perhaps because this is common people think its the "right" thing to do?

I played bass for 3ish years before starting guitar, and had friends who did the same, I dont think it matters.

If you want to learn bass, go for it!

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:23 am

forget about playing guitar first thats just something a guiar player would say. us bass players know where its really at, we get the best of both worlds harmonic ecstasy and rhythmic nivana, guitar players are dime a dozen how many ads are there out there asking for bass players for working bands, bass is beautiful the tone, the feel, the groove forget about guitar pleeeze :roll:

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:04 pm

I never played guitar before learning bass, or after for that matter. It's funny, I have played bass for about 10 years (started late at 17 years old having never played an instrument prior) and when there's a party people often hand me the guitar - I usually pass it on to the next guy - unless I am hanging for a jam, at which point I playing sounding somewhat like a bassist playing a guitar.... usually however I decline the opportunity.

I really don't like the connotations of bass players being failed guitarists (which comes up occasionally). Bass is a whole instrument of its own and should be respected as such, however preaching that to the masses is not worth the hassle. Personally if I wanted to have played cheese wire I would have played guitar, however fence wire is much more my style.

All other instruments will assist in your musical development, not just guitar. If you want to learn bass, the play bass. You DO NOT need to learn guitar first. Piano is also a good cross learning instrument to pick up being very rudimentary.
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:06 pm

Yeah... I played keys first and found it really helped.

Mark Hughes
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/markhughesbass
Bands / Groups: Greg Johnson, Victoria Girling-Butcher, Kurt Shanks, Jackie Clarke, Rikki Morris, Jan Hellriegel, Strawpeople, Dave Dobbyn, Tim Finn, Bic Runga, Boh Runga, Midge Marsden, Gin Wigmore, Carly Binding...

Post by Mark Hughes » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:23 pm

Guitar is as relivant to bass as piano, woodwind drums or triangle. Bass is its own instrument with it own techniques and quirks. Music is the common thread, the theory, scales and chords are the same. Just go ahead and play the bass and have a great time doing so.
25 years touring and recording with NZ artists
Fender, MusicMan, Warwick and Hamer Basses
SWR Amp and Cabs

vindy500

Post by vindy500 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:50 am

sure learning guitar first will help, but learning bass will help faster. why on earth would you learn guitar if you want to learn bass?

(([Ramz]))

Post by (([Ramz])) » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:56 am

I personally would agree with everyone, I picked the bass not too long and i had no musical background what so ever.....and it's turning out fine, i hope.....but yeah bass is awesome way more fun than a guitar.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:10 pm

vindy500 wrote:sure learning guitar first will help, but learning bass will help faster. why on earth would you learn guitar if you want to learn bass?

recon. only reason i can see to learn gat is so when you look at the gat player you know what cord they are playing and what notes you can fit in with them. i wasted a year playing gat first.

rock lobstar

Re: Need to know guitar before learning bass?

Post by rock lobstar » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:15 pm

i think that learning bass first helps with guitar skills. keeping rythm etc

when i have a jam session with my mates i always have a jam on theyre guitars and im actualy not too bad :shock: lol but if they try to pick up my fender and give it a try they sound like sh*t excuse my french.