How do you practice?

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
john
Gold Member

Re: How do you practice?

Post by john » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:14 pm

I remember learning Master blaster when I was trying out for a cover band. It was a b#@*h to learn and they couldn't even play it themselves. I declined the gig :wink:

I think I might try and relearn it, could make for a bit of frustrating fun

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 am

when I went to transcribe it I had trouble "feeling" the notes
it's in 12/8 which seemed to take me a long time to figure out.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:12 pm

I just saw this thread and thought I'd add in my 2c worth

I'm quite a lazy bass player, but in saying that I tend to pick things up quite quickly as I have a good ear for music... sometimes I can hear a song on the radio / TV and hum along like G, Emin, A, C.... and then pick up my acoustic guitar to play it and find they are the exact chords

I never really do any specific practice on my bass - mainly because my bass / amp is in the garage and I can't be a$$ed hauling the bass upstairs into the spare room. I am looking at getting a 30w (or similar) practice amp, so I can practice at home and take it to band rehearsals and run a line out to the PA - as I currently have to lug my whole rig to rehearsals.

If I need to learn a song I will listen to it in the computer and play along with the E A D G strings on my acoustic guitar then at band rehearsal I will just transpose it onto the bass.

My current band only rehearses every 8-10 weeks... mainly because we are playing every week and when we do have a rehearsal we learn about 6 new songs together... some may not sound that great or 'gel' and we will flag them and some may not go to well live, but the majority of songs we learn we will put into our repertiore.

Like John said my band asked me to learn master blaster when I joined and it took me ages to figure it out... then it turns out the band have never really played it anyway and after one run through we flagged it! LOL!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:I just saw this thread and thought I'd add in my 2c worth

I'm quite a lazy bass player, but in saying that I tend to pick things up quite quickly as I have a good ear for music... sometimes I can hear a song on the radio / TV and hum along like G, Emin, A, C.... and then pick up my acoustic guitar to play it and find they are the exact chords

I never really do any specific practice on my bass - mainly because my bass / amp is in the garage and I can't be a$$ed hauling the bass upstairs into the spare room. I am looking at getting a 30w (or similar) practice amp, so I can practice at home and take it to band rehearsals and run a line out to the PA - as I currently have to lug my whole rig to rehearsals.

If I need to learn a song I will listen to it in the computer and play along with the E A D G strings on my acoustic guitar then at band rehearsal I will just transpose it onto the bass.

My current band only rehearses every 8-10 weeks... mainly because we are playing every week and when we do have a rehearsal we learn about 6 new songs together... some may not sound that great or 'gel' and we will flag them and some may not go to well live, but the majority of songs we learn we will put into our repertiore.

Like John said my band asked me to learn master blaster when I joined and it took me ages to figure it out... then it turns out the band have never really played it anyway and after one run through we flagged it! LOL!
You and I , and our covers bands are so alike it's spooky :shock:

ps .. I have tried the 30w practice amp thing (well I had a laney 350w combo),great at home but I sold it,would never please me at small gigs and couldn't compete with live drums.I still have a tiny Warwick BC20 for home only,and use my main rig everywhere else including band rehearsals which occur every 8-10 weeks or more like you guys.
Luckily I have my Sunn 1200s,15" cab,and GK 2x10 cab set up in my spot of the lounge permanently!!!! to practice with.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:20 pm

pins wrote:
You and I , and our covers bands are so alike it's spooky :shock:

ps .. I have tried the 30w practice amp thing (well I had a laney 350w combo),great at home but I sold it,would never please me at small gigs and couldn't compete with live drums.I still have a tiny Warwick BC20 for home only,and use my main rig everywhere else including band rehearsals which occur every 8-10 weeks or more like you guys.
Luckily I have my Sunn 1200s,15" cab,and GK 2x10 cab set up in my spot of the lounge permanently!!!! to practice with.
Yeah - I used to play in a band in Chch years ago and we used to rehearse every Sunday arvo.... but only play about once a month - it was more of a social thing for the other guys / gals in the band
With Auckland Being so big, my current band are based in south Auckland about 40-45 mins south from the CBD and I'm on the North Shore so it does take at least an hour most times in rush hour traffic if I go there for a rehearsal... good thing is when I'm driving home from a gig a 2-3am there's bugger all traffic on the M'way!

It took a long time to convince my wife to let me buy a new bass so I don't think she will let me buy anything else like a practice amp soon!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Mark H
Bands / Groups: Greg Johnson, Eyreton Hall, Hands Off, Greg Fleming, Jan Hellriegel, LadyKillers.

Post by Mark H » Thu May 08, 2014 11:54 am

After 20+ years of not having done any real practice, I decided about 3 years ago to commit to a daily routine. I was motivated by a few gigs drying up and was getting a bit down about playing, at one point even considered giving up all together. But the decision to press on and get better at the thing I love was a good one. I’d had many great gigs over the years and in hindsight had become complacent about music and rested too much on the skills I had.

I’ve found that a daily routine has really helped focus me as a musician more, become more comfortable in many more musical situations, and it makes me feel good! You can feel the gains when performing.

So I try to practice for 1 hour minimum every day and more when I can.

This is how it breaks down, minimum 10 minutes on each thing, much longer as time permits.

Rhythm training, with a metronome. Don’t even need a bass for this one, clap on a certain subdivision for example. Lots of possibilities.

Dexterity exercises, just some kind of ordered exercise to get the fingers moving/co-ordinated, I use finger permutations, but spider exercises etc are all good.

Note Recognition, for instance finding all the “D” notes high to low and back up again in time with a metronome. Choose a different note each day.

Theory/Harmony, scales, arpeggios, chords, something to get the brain thinking harmonically, again lots of options.

Sight Reading, the only way to better at it is by doing it!

Once you get into a routine, it becomes less of a chore, I really look forward to practice time, even find it relaxing in some ways. At first I didn’t think I had the time, so I made time by getting up an hour earlier, then find time later in the day too.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu May 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Great stuff!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu May 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Great post Mark,
Mark H wrote:After 20+ years of not having done any real practice
, Me too !

Admittedly and shamefully so,I didn't even touch my my bass between the end of sat nights gig and the start of friday nights gig the following week,I would rather play games on computer. And I did that for many many years as playing bass was just another "job".

I'm not huge on theory but do similar things that you mention,and try to pick up the bass every day and just play something,anything.

Best motivator for me was buying lots of new gear,(much to the colonels displeasure as she waited 2+ years for a new lounge suite and fridge), and playing in an originals band situation,as all I ever did for 20+ years and still do is play covers most weekends.

These days I cherish every moment with a bass in hand.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 am

Hahahaha.... since I lost interest in jazz I haven't done a lick of practice. That was maybe 6-7 years ago. It really shows now, and I've forgotten how to play a lot of the jazz standards I used to know. I could still play them, but would need charts to remind me. These days I play much simpler forms of music, and I maintain my interest at gigs by concentrating on getting my timing perfect, investigating note choices that "pop", and if I'm playing with a drummer, seeing how I can get inside his groove.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat May 10, 2014 10:39 am

Incidentally, as a good means of practicing whilst on the move or doing so quietly, check out Line6's sonic port which plugs into iOS devices. A great practice aid.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon May 12, 2014 9:31 pm

I'd be buggered if I tried to read music now.... did all the music theory at school and played cello in the school orchestra for 4 years. Dad didn't want me playing the drums at home, so I picked up a bass at school and had a go on it and thought 'this is pretty cool' and have been playing ever since (that was 1987!)
Still haven't got around to getting a practice amp (need better finances) either...