How do you practice?

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
greghr
Bronze Member

Re: How do you practice?

Post by greghr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:19 am

Thanks Marty and Tim for the continuing thoughtful inputs. Points taken.

1. Plenty of practice on the first five frets

2. Play along with all sorts of things, ad jingles, things on You Tube to work the ears

3. Work on timing with roots and fifths, keeping the beat.

4. My wife and I sometimes cruise down to Napier as we have friends there at Napier town and family at Bayview. Must check out the Cabana as a place to go.

Really do appreciate all this discussion. On a good week I can get two jams in. One with the singer/songwriter friend which is very much roots, 3rds and 5ths type of accompaniment, and on Thurdays I often jam with a piano player on Beatles tunes, a few jazz standards, and blues so I guess I am not doing too bad in the playing with others field. A friend and relative of ours here in Gis has recently taken off on of the wine centres here and is thinking of Friday night open mic's. Must encourage her along. Whats the names of the Bluegrass band Marty and your Blues band Tim?
Last edited by greghr on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:28 am

My main gig is Dusty Rhodes and the Bluesmobile, Greg, but I do other stuff on the side. Marty played with Roy in a superb rockabilly band called Black Snapper, but not sure whether he is still playing in that band. He also plays in a very interesting group called Cabin Fevre about which I have been hearing good things and I must try to catch them soon. Sorry for answering for you, Marty, no doubt you have a few more in the closet that you can add :mrgreen: .

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:54 am

Hey Tim, have ceased with Black Snapper after 9 years. Cabin Fevre is my main gig. We just recorded an interview and 5 songs at Radio Kidnappers which will air this Friday and the following Friday at 3:05pm. Also doing gigs with various others, Blues Deluxe, Jackie Gibson and Duane Grant. Cabin Fevre are playing at the A&P show in Hastings on Thursday avo, and Haumoana market day Nov 3rd. Also doing the Wellington Folk Festival this long weekend. Sorry Greg, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:36 pm

No worries its all in the theme of play and how you practice.
Good to hear about the bands as I can keep my eyes and ears out for them if I am coming down to Napier.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:57 pm

martyforrer wrote:Hey Tim, have ceased with Black Snapper after 9 years. Cabin Fevre is my main gig. We just recorded an interview and 5 songs at Radio Kidnappers which will air this Friday and the following Friday at 3:05pm. Also doing gigs with various others, Blues Deluxe, Jackie Gibson and Duane Grant. Cabin Fevre are playing at the A&P show in Hastings on Thursday avo, and Haumoana market day Nov 3rd. Also doing the Wellington Folk Festival this long weekend. Sorry Greg, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Where and when are you playing in Wellington, I'll try to make it down

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:39 pm

martyforrer wrote:Greg, a basics bass player is the guy who gets the gigs. I am, and always have been, strictly a meat and potatoes player..... mainly 'cos I'm a lazy s.o.b. Pins on here is also a meat and potatoes player, and he's been 25 years in Hawkes Bays' hardest working band

Ha :D quick novel............

when you think about it, thats what works in most of what we do,good old "meat and potatoes" . Same with drummers,give me the meat and tatoes any day,flashy is good but only if good enough to be flashy and keep a beat.

After all these years playing I feel I should be a totally "awesome" player,have all the tricks down pat,popping,slapping,all over it like a wet rag and be teaching others..........but I am far from it .

Don't (cant) play any other instrument,started with the bass at 22, and never stopped and its been hard yakka believe me.
I am not "gifted" like alot of musos I have met over the years.I really have to work hard at what I do,it doesn't come easy,and I just learn along the way.I know pretty well no theory and cant read music.
But,I have been fortunate enough to hook up the "right" people,and gigged solidly with them for a long,long time. Which tells me I must be doing something right,warts and all.Or they just hoped I would have died long ago so they could replace me

Back to practice, I guess learning hundreds,maybe thousands of covers over 25 years has been my only form of "practice" , sure I did take about 6 lessons around 20 years ago,but the teacher was "awesome" like mentioned above,and liked to show his ability,so I left every lesson feeling depressed and ready to chuck it in.
I knew I would never be able to play like he could and still can't to this day,but that doesn't faze me now as you obviously don't have to be "awesome" to gig,best lesson I ever learnt right there.

I did get interested in learning theory a year or so ago,and know alot.. (well thats just lies,a wee bit) more than I did before then,but I just lack the time,motivation and enthusiasm to pursue it fully.

Best song ( = my "practice" ) we learnt a while back that pushed my crappy abilities was "Master Blaster" , my family must have been so sick and tired of hearing that song,over and bloody over. I had the biggest struggle trying to get the syncopated runs fast enough after each chorus and almost gave up(=tell the band I cant play it),but perseverance paid off and only took a month :lol: , and its now on the set list.
That one song gave me new inspiration for playing again and I thank Stevie Wonder for that immensely.

"INSPIRATION" every bass players key word for the day :D we all need it no matter what our ability as a player.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:28 am

Post deleted with hindsight :wink: :D

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:34 pm

john wrote:
martyforrer wrote:Hey Tim, have ceased with Black Snapper after 9 years. Cabin Fevre is my main gig. We just recorded an interview and 5 songs at Radio Kidnappers which will air this Friday and the following Friday at 3:05pm. Also doing gigs with various others, Blues Deluxe, Jackie Gibson and Duane Grant. Cabin Fevre are playing at the A&P show in Hastings on Thursday avo, and Haumoana market day Nov 3rd. Also doing the Wellington Folk Festival this long weekend. Sorry Greg, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Where and when are you playing in Wellington, I'll try to make it down
Hey John, Cabin Fevre are playing at the Wellywood Folk Festival at Wainuiomata, but I'm not going. I'm about to shift house so cant spare the time, I believe they're going to use a double bass player from Wellywood.

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Hey Pins, back in the 90s I learnt What Is Hip? by Tower of Power for a band I was in. It took me 6 weeks to nail those 16th notes. I haven't played it since, and can hardly play it to save myself now! :lol: Same band did Spain by Chick Corea. That took me a month to learn with Stanley Clarkes wicked solo. :oops:

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Marty, you have just impressed me highly.

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Tim, I was pretty highly motivated back then.... now I'm just a dried up shell, a grumpy lazy old curmudgeon who sticks his oar in where-ever it's not needed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Keep sticking it in, buddy. I enjoy our conversations. :D
And I meant what I said, Rocco Prestia is one of my heroes but I doubt that I could get anywhere near to his playing in What Is Hip? I admire you for even trying, plus I know you would have done a good job of it too.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:50 pm

I've just been reading a book I got called 'Bass Heroes' which is a very naff title. It's an interview book from Guitar player magazine with interviews of all famous bass guitar players. There are all sorts of wonderful tips in the interviews about bass technique, reading bass clef, amp set ups, quite technical stuff. In the Jeff Berlin interview he mentions that he used a method book called ' Chord Studies for Trombone' which he said was 'Chock full of stuff for the electric bassist'. I just had a look at this book on Amazon and it is way over my head, but could be good for someone who is a good bass clef reader and wants to extend their range up the fingerboard.
If you haven't seen the 'Heroes' book check it out, its great. I really enjoyed the interview with Paul McCartney. :D

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Hey Pins. I had to play Master Blaster at a gig on Friday for the first time and I remembered yr post. Really is a great song to practice and play. I was a bit concerned about learning it at first but with perseverance like you say it's very satisfying when you pull it off.
pins wrote: Best song ( = my "practice" ) we learnt a while back that pushed my crappy abilities was "Master Blaster" , my family must have been so sick and tired of hearing that song,over and bloody over. I had the biggest struggle trying to get the syncopated runs fast enough after each chorus and almost gave up(=tell the band I cant play it),but perseverance paid off and only took a month :lol: , and its now on the set list.
That one song gave me new inspiration for playing again and I thank Stevie Wonder for that immensely.

"INSPIRATION" every bass players key word for the day :D we all need it no matter what our ability as a player.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Nice to hear you had "fun" with it too.
It's a good "bass players" song and I find I always dabble with it when noodling, and now actually look forward to it now turning up on the set list.

another old goodie for bass on our set list is "Boogie Oogie Oogie" by "A Taste of Honey" , great,fun bass line and a cool intro for bass (2 versions,long and short),plus I even get a small solo spot in our rendition... :shock:
plus check out the Femmes blasting out the tune,crap copy,they muted the music on the one I liked, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhFQZGbbKYk