What is the most challenging piece you've had to learn

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Re: What is the most challenging piece you've had to learn

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:30 am

john wrote:Yeah I did mention that one because it is an odd one to find hard. I sometimes get lost on simple 12 bar blues tunes too :oops: But I am generally pretty good with complicated structures
yeah - sometimes I listen to a song that I have to lean and think "Gees how the @#$% an I going to learn that"? then it turns out to be easy
Lets Get it Started - Black Eyed Peas was one like that - same with Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi, when I first learnt that I found it really complicated, but now find it easy.

We had a request in the weekend for 'Hotel California" (sounds quite empty with only 1 guitar) - we hadn't played it for ages and I messed up most of the bass to it LOL! :oops: :lol:
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: What is the most challenging piece you've had to learn

Post by martyforrer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 am

Spain by Chick Corea with Stanley Clarke on bass.
What Is Hip, Tower of Power. I saw Rocco with TOP here in Napier a few years back.... he was still awesome.
In the late 90s I was in a band that played these. Took me weeks to learn them, now I can hardly play them with a bit of arthritis setting in.
Another challenge was the latino band I played in for four years. Nailing the salsa rhythms so the congitas and dancers could work with it was surprisingly hard, much harder than learning a specific rock or jazz tune.