Newbie question

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
Pinky

Newbie question

Post by Pinky » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:13 am

Hello all.

I just got my 1st bass. It's not the Fender I wanted, but it's probably the best one my parents could afford, and will have to do. (I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful).

It's a Yamaha which looks pretty nice, but it sounds really bad. I don't have an amp yet, put when I practice in my room, I hear a metalic vibration from the strings vibrating againts the metal piece that separates the frets. It drives me mad!

Is there something I needed to do out of the box, or something wrong with the bass?

Thanks in advance,

Pinky

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Re: Newbie question

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:31 am

Maybe:

1. Your bass needs its action adjusted to prevent fret clank
2. You need to adjust your playing style to prevent fret clank
3. Its a Yamaha :twisted:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 am

thats just mean jazzbass, :lol: im sure yamaha aint that bad. what town are you in. if your in weillington i could look at the set up . save you some dosh to go towards your amp. good on you for taking up the bass!

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 am

Hopefully it's 1 or 2. I'll try to figure out how to do that.

Thanks, Jazzbass.

And thanks, John. I'm in the US (Florida). I'll see what i can find as far as adjusting and see if I can figure that out. I love the bass. (everyone wants to play drums or guitar)

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:55 am

there is sites on the net that show you how to do a set up on the bass. lots of fun doing it your self too.
if you tune your strings down to lower tunings it can cause rattle too

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:57 am

I'll look for some. Thanks again, John. Appreciate the replies.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:27 am

try the gary willis website for some choice set-up info, yamaha are cool like most other basses these days, i dont think its that important when starting, get your chops then get your serious kit.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:16 am

Thanks, Ryla.

It looks real nice. And I'm learning (which is unfortunate, because I'm sure I would be an ace by now had we gotten the pricey $1,200.00 Fender). :wink:
I'm into blues. And although I aspire to getting close to playing like a John Paul Jones, or Geddy Lee some day, I will only be playing with some headphones by myself, or jamming with a friend that started playing the harp. So it will do for now. (If I can kill the clank!)

I'll check out the Gary Willis site. I appreciate the tip.

Thanks for the replies, gents.

:lol:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:47 am

The Yammie bit was a joke, mate.
Seriously, I've found that many people have a playing style problem which only shows up when playing unplugged.

IMO, that's another great reason for practicising unplugged. The clank gets annoying to you, so you start to adjust your action (most often your plucking hand) to factor that out. This makes your amplified playing cleaner, plus you get a little more sustain, as fret clank robs the natural string vibration a little. Overall - you end up with a nicer time.

But that's just my opinion. :)

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:39 pm

maybe, one way of knowing a basic quality of your instrument is the unplugged audible tone of the bass, but one might dig in a little too much when unplugged in order to hear and pick up poor R H technique there, on the gary willis site he recommends cranking up the amp in order to not dig in/attack so much - too much string vibration = reduced/distorted signal , - less R H violence = warmer tone - my thruppence worth.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:58 pm

Hey Jazz, I know you were kidding. I didn't take it seriously. The "pricey guitar" bit. was in fun. :oops:

Thanks for the good info. I do appreciate that.

I did find some great info on the Gary Willis site. Thanks!!

I appreciate the replies. Hope you guys don't mind if I stop by every now and pester you with questions. I've been browsing through some of the post, and found some great stuff.

Cheers

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:39 pm

I hope you do keep stopping in Pinky, its good to have some international members!!!

implandnoises
Bronze Member

Post by implandnoises » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:35 am

Pinky wrote:Hello all.

I just got my 1st bass. It's not the Fender I wanted, but it's probably the best one my parents could afford, and will have to do. (I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful).

It's a Yamaha which looks pretty nice, but it sounds really bad. I don't have an amp yet, put when I practice in my room, I hear a metalic vibration from the strings vibrating againts the metal piece that separates the frets. It drives me mad!

Is there something I needed to do out of the box, or something wrong with the bass?

Thanks in advance,

Pinky
Don'tgo changing your setup just yet. And for that matter, be very careful doing it yourself anyway. Remember, you don't have an amp yet. My bass always has a buzz to it when played unplugged and if I play harder to hear it more the buzz just gets worse. But plugged in- nothing - beautiful tone in fact. Remember, it is your first bass, so a lot of it my come down to your technique and the fact you are still unplugged. If it buzzes through the speakers when you are plugged in and you are playing soft and smoothly then talk to someone about looking at the setup.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:17 am

implandnoises wrote:
Pinky wrote:Hello all.

Thanks in advance,

Pinky
Don'tgo changing your setup just yet. And for that matter, be very careful doing it yourself anyway. Remember, you don't have an amp yet. My bass always has a buzz to it when played unplugged and if I play harder to hear it more the buzz just gets worse. But plugged in- nothing - beautiful tone in fact. Remember, it is your first bass, so a lot of it my come down to your technique and the fact you are still unplugged. If it buzzes through the speakers when you are plugged in and you are playing soft and smoothly then talk to someone about looking at the setup.

yeah.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:49 pm

I appreciate the tips, and advise.

You're 100% correct. A lot I would say was the player. I'm exercising my fingers, and that's helped with the clank. I've also noticed there is no clank when I play through the effect box I have with some headphones. I haven't changed the set-up, and it sounds much better.

You guys are great, and there is a lot of excellent information in your posts.

Thanks for helping a newb out. :wink: