help please!! what to get to start playing

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
rifle

help please!! what to get to start playing

Post by rifle » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:14 pm

hello everyone,
I am new in this place and I would like some help about few things when start to play!!
what to buy?? is a lot in the shops( brands, Jazz,precission,active,passive,pricess etc..) and in most of the shops they try to sell me the famous GET STARTED KIT*(*diferents brands too).I want something easy to play ( not the best but not something that sounds not good).what do you guys recomend?
the best way to learn? I am starting a bit old tought,28 years old. books,dvd,teacher?
I am in chch at the moment, any teacher here?

hope this is not too much for you guys and hope you can give me a hand with that..
thanks a lot.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Re: help please!! what to get to start playing

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:20 am

I haven't tried any of the 'get started' kits, but my suggestion would be to take someone who knows how to play with you and spend a Saturday wandering around the music shops, trying everything in your price range. Don't forget Cash Converters either.

My current advice is different than it would have been 10 years ago (when I would have said - take the highest figure you can afford and treble it, then go looking), because there are so many low-cost alternatives today, some of which are perfectly playable.

Further considerations:

What type of music do you like to listen to/play?
For home recording or live use?
Is aesthetics important to you?

...and - don't worry about brand names - go for feel first of all.

I'm sure others will chime in...

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:15 am

Sometimes you can find an insane bargain, but If I had under $500 to spend on a bass I would play a bunch of SX and Squires and pick the one that feels best to you.

They will pretty much all be Precision or Jazz copies though, which might not be your thing.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:04 pm

what timmi said . sx has a good rep

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:25 pm

...and if you want to import your own - I recommend Kurt.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

He charged me $US80 to ship a guitar to me - arrived in 6 days. No fuss and I'm very happy with it.

rifle

Post by rifle » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:57 pm

hi,
to reply to jazzbass: I like heavy rock/metal but I am opend mind to learn everything!! to learn at home at the moment then I'll see..esthetics is not so important but something nice will be good..
thanks everyone will take all your recc..

Modo74
Bronze Member

Post by Modo74 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:04 pm

john wrote:what timmi said . sx has a good rep
+1

I log into http://www.TalkBass.com quote often. SX have a really good rep over there. Register and search on "essex" for some good feedback. (their search engine won't accept less than 3 letters, hence they're known as essex on there). Often thought about buying one myself and modding it up as a workhorse...

TradeMe is a good place to look too, some good bargains there. Avoid buying without trying though. Not that I think anyone would try to rip you off, just its not good to buy on looks alone.

Best advice I can give is just to try as many basses as possible. You'll find "the one" sooner or later.

Best of luck!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:19 pm

good points modo. but having read that you are into heavy type music . sx necks may not have the fastest necks to move about on. go old school (87 back) aria fast necks and well built. or this westone on trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =129627169would be good value if you can get it for 150 ish. real nice bass that was underated when they came out... and comes with a case

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:59 am

I just remembered I had an SX P Bass! Didn't own it for long, thats why I forgot I had it.

I put Seymour Duncan Quater Pound pickups and a Badass 2 bridge on it. It was a really cool bass, felt a bit clunky compared to my other basses at the time but still good value for money and it would be great for starting out on.

I still rate my Squire Jazz over that SX, but other Squire Jazz basses I've played haven't been as good as mine, guess I got a good one.

rock lobstar

Post by rock lobstar » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:12 pm

when i first started a about a half a year ago i had the exact same problem.so much gear to choose from so little money to spend lol
i definatley recommend looking on trademe. or buying second hand. im mates with all the guys in a pretty good band so they helped me out alot. but yer i got my ashton from trademe and bought an amp off a mate. youll know when you find the right bass. but believe me when i say dont rush into buying one look around heaps and go through all your options.