DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
ZK-TUI
Bronze Member

How to remove bass from a song?

Post by ZK-TUI » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:37 am

Apparently very hard/impossible.
How did this guy do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J80_y9nfxRs
He has started doing it on his songs. Awesome bass player but I would like to be able to play to songs without the bass as well. Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
Tui

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Re: How to remove bass from a song?

Post by mjwhit » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:08 am

In that video i think he removed the bass and drums from original track. Then added the drumming and bass.
I would have no idea how to go about something like that, but I can imagine it would not be much fun to do.
Remember that the bass doesnt just have bass frequencies, but a lot of overtones and harmonics that effectivly make your 'tone'.
So you could remove a lot of the bass by removing the lower frequencies, but it starts getting messy once you realise that the drum also has lower frequencies, as does the guitar...
And also you need to find a way to isolate the basses overtones and whatnot.

Easiest way-record your own.

You could get fairly close I would imagine by playing with the eq on mostly the bass frequencies.
Im thinking major cuts and you WILL lose a lot of drums. But it'd be easier to copy the drums by midi than to immitate the singing.

Maybe someone else here could enlighten me. Im interested in this.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: How to remove bass from a song?

Post by beagle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:20 am

It sounds to me like he's just dropped all the lows and lower mid EQ's out of the recording.
Anything left over gets overshadowed by the new instruments.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T