Getting my fingers ready quickly

The Bass Player's Toolbox
beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: Getting my fingers ready quickly

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:08 am

Apparently picking your nose frequently is one way to ensure you have lovely soft skin on your fingers. True! 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:08 pm

So what does picking your arse do???

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Now you're just being silly Rog! :lol:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:40 pm

LOL!

Me, silly??? :lol:

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:33 pm

You know Rog... if he did enough of this it just might help :lol:
btm.jpg
Good technique
btm.jpg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 5064 times

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:06 pm

The Rolling Stones had an album about that, as I recall... :D

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:33 pm

stinky fingers. or another one?

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:13 pm

Go to the top of the class, mate!! :lol:

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:14 am

what about for finger muscular pain - you know when your fingers/hands want to cramp up half way through a song or set? it sucks big time!
it still happens sometimes, even with 5-10 minutes of warm up before the set starts...

i find myself writing the setlist in order of difficulty (usually based on speed) to allow my hands to warm up! Id rather not have to though...

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

ps: i play with my fingers.

implandnoises
Bronze Member

Post by implandnoises » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:50 am

definite wrote:what about for finger muscular pain - you know when your fingers/hands want to cramp up half way through a song or set? it sucks big time!
it still happens sometimes, even with 5-10 minutes of warm up before the set starts...

i find myself writing the setlist in order of difficulty (usually based on speed) to allow my hands to warm up! Id rather not have to though...

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

ps: i play with my fingers.
I would suggest be very very careful. You have heard of carpel tunnel syndrome right? If not, look it up. Play lighter, more relaxed - let the amp do the hard work. And don't exercise your hands to make them extremely strong - the muscles in your palms can get too big and put more pressure on the carpal tunnel. Just practice what you need to practice and if it still gets too much then take a break. Fast, repetitive lines can be cause problems too. The essence of the problem that causes carpal tunnel syndrome though is the bent wrist (and fingers working during this time). So put your bass up nice and high to lessen the bend on your left wrist. For the right wrist, don't flop your hand over at right angles like many players do - bring your elbow out and try to keep your wrist relatively straight. I usually am at about 45 degrees - it is near impossible to keep it completely straight. But the straighter and more relaxed the better.

I also found that a lot of the tension calm from performing. In the practice room I can go for a great amount of time with no problems. but up on stage I might reach a point of discomfort and cramp in a fast piece. So I concluded I must be tensing up due to nerves or the pressure to perform well. And now I try to relax more, don't worry and get on with it.

Good luck.

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/meshuggahN8, www.myspace.com/madmaxband
Bands / Groups: 4:20 then Mad Max now NoneTheLess & Doublewide.

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:16 am

I just realised how much I crack my fingers, even starting to notice a slight dull pain when it's freezing cold. Gonna be the mad case of arthritis for me I think! and whats worse is that I'm only 2tothe9!

Might have to invent a new way of playing called "the Claw" Tm patent pending! :lol:
Peavey stack, Firebass / Deltabass, 410TvX, 115BvX, random Zoom effects (beer soaked Nobels ODR-B live), Modded natural finish Yamaha RBX-270 (changed to active, seymour duncan P/J basslines, gotoh hardware and bridge.) http://www.myspace.com/meshuggahn8

implandnoises
Bronze Member

Post by implandnoises » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:10 pm

MeshuggahN8 wrote:I just realised how much I crack my fingers, even starting to notice a slight dull pain when it's freezing cold. Gonna be the mad case of arthritis for me I think! and whats worse is that I'm only 2tothe9!

Might have to invent a new way of playing called "the Claw" Tm patent pending! :lol:
James Jamerson....

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:23 pm

Really, the only way I know how to condition muscles is by repetition. In other words - play as much and as often as you can. Timi plays mainly with pick and I think he'd notice an altered sound which might not suit his music if he switched totally to fingers (he'd lose some bite and attack). That said, I think you should try to play every song in your setlist (at home) using ONLY fingers for awhile. IMO being able to play equally well with pick and with fingers is a great way to handle the bass.

implandnoises
Bronze Member

Post by implandnoises » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:26 am

I agree with that. And if you jam out the songs with the band using your fingers and then comparing the sound to the pick you will soon discover which songs suit which technique. I also find that some songs which I thought worked best with a pick actually work better with slapping. Try that too Timi - you know you'll love it :lol:

raynor
Bronze Member

Post by raynor » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:51 pm

Jazzbass wrote:Het Timi - you know those finger picks banjo pickers use?

Get the best of both worlds - LOL!!

Now lets get serious...... What about those slap bass players fingers? OUCH!