Fretting Hand Pinky Finger

The Bass Player's Toolbox
mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Fretting Hand Pinky Finger

Post by mickeyj4j » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi to all bass players I have been playing bass for nearly 3 years, before that I played acoustic guitar.
One thing I don't seem to use much is the pinky/little finger on my left fretting hand.
1. Is this something to worry about?
2. Any tips on how to build up and develope good technique?

Thanks in advance for any help.

bronzet
Silver Member

Re: Fretting Hand Pinky Finger

Post by bronzet » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:05 am

Hey there :)
to answer your two questions:
1) i wouldn't worry. Play the bass the way it is most comfortable for you
2) Practice is a great way to build up/improve technique. If that includes trying to incorporate your 'little pinky' into your playing, try and practice octaves because you might find it easier to use your small finger to hit the octave

When i started out on bass, i bought a couple of instructional videos done by bassplayers that i looked up to (eg Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten), to help guide me in the right direction about technique. However, there are plenty of Youtube bass instructors out there that can also help you out ( eg Scott Devine (https://www.youtube.com/user/devinebass) is an obvious example)
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Fretting Hand Pinky Finger

Post by foal30 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:22 pm

1. Not overly. However if you can't participate in an musical endeavour due to technique limitations then a clear and deliberate practice regime will rectify any issue. Practic makes near enough to perfect.

2. Try a finger per fret chromatic approach. Play slowly and listen for the dynamic value between each left hand finger.

Use the Minor 7 arpeggio shape 1,4,3,1 fingering , ascending (R b3, 5 ,b7) then jump to the 9 with the little finger.

Key of Cm = C, Eb, G, Bb, D.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes