BASS SOLOS

The Bass Player's Toolbox
(([Ramz]))

BASS SOLOS

Post by (([Ramz])) » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:10 am

Hi,
I have recently joined a band(thrash metal of course), and we are writing a song that will have a bass solo instead of a guitar solo. Now i have attempted this bass solo and all i can do is pretty much just shred (I use fingers by the way).
My question being is that, What kind of style or techniques do you use when it comes to the bass solos??

ryla
Gold Member

Re: BASS SOLOS

Post by ryla » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:35 am

i'd sing a melody/phrase whatever that fits or thereabouts then try and play it and try and stick to it each time its performed, you could throw in a quote or shred if your in that frame of mind or do all the above- whatever, if your enjoying it they will. Me?, i get one solo a night, i try to start by syncopating the rhythm simply - disrupting the rhythm will get the attention quicker than notes on bass (just a guess), if im in a hell mood i will shred to get it off my chest to begin (if you do it with all your guts youll at least get your bandmates willin ya but it needs to be brief) you gotta finish it right, its gotta link back in on time/right chord or it'll muck the whole solo up :cry: P.S great new site; "bass musician magazine.com".

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:12 am

good topic ramz...what ryla said :D id also love to know a little more on the subject... at the moment i pretty much just use the petatonic scales for random arse stuff like that, i lack the funkability of a great player damn it!(hoping it will come)

- -- 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | fret numbers

G - 8 | - | 9 | 10 |
D - 6 | - | 7 | --- |
A - 3 | 4 | 5 | --- |
E - 1 | - | -- | 2- |

So that would be it in A... but i think the tenth note makes it a blues petatonic technically(minor)... its probably a bit suck eegs as far as youre concerned, but it may help someone 8)... and not so easy to get it lookin tidy... keeps messin with the spacing
Last edited by Randomplay on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:13 pm

For me, the song dictates the solo.
If its a slow song, my solo will be largo or ardagio
If its funky, I'll be hitting those octave runs & 1-3 timings.
If its rock'n'roll, I'll be playing pent major runs.
If its blues, I'll be playing pent minor runs - flattening the 3rd and 5th for effect.

The song should be your guide - nothing sounds worse than a solo (on any instrument) which is out of context of the song.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:52 pm

It no matter if it's in Ab or O+...when I'm shredding nothing enters my brain.

(([Ramz]))

Post by (([Ramz])) » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:09 pm

thank you for the helpful replies dudes.

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:40 am

Yea thats awsome Rog... i think that was what i was blindly fishing for! Foal im jealous as hell! i gotta keep it in scales or i royally F-it up!

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:57 am

sorry, I was quoting a mock interview from Bass Player Magazine which I have always found humorous.

Soloing could be split into 2 frames of mind RAMZ

1/ the improvisation piece as of now
2/ or the performed and rehearsed "Interlude" piece.

regardless of the requirements of the solo, a thorough and extensive knowledge of Theory, a good listening History of Soloists from the Genre you are performing (regardless of instrument), and a willingness to attempt transcriptions of your favorite solo's will all compliment the "feeling" or "groove" you have.I also believe a very good command of "Your sound" that is you on your instrument is a fundamental.

I seldom "solo" because most often I am unable to contribute something Musically useful to that particular cut.
I am more likely to "Solo" a prepared piece that I feel actively contributes to the arrangement. Quite often I am successful at this approach, so I am really putting some work into "Part 1".

I am finding it hard going but a little by little I think I am making some progress.

Maybe another approach is pick out one of your real favorite players, RAMZ. analyze and listen and copy/imitate...try to figure out why Bernard Edwards is so funky...or how that guy from Tool "uses" the time, or Charlie Haden "chromatics" so melodically... you may be able to then use one specific point of that Favorite Player as the mental go too point for your soloing ideas.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Right on Foal 30, Jaco used to work his soloes out beforehand so they would work better for the tune ,all credit to those who can plan that sort of thing and then remember it verbatim.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:51 pm

But doesn't that take some of he buzz of the experience away?... preparing it beforhand I mean?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm

it's just a different bag Steve.
Sometimes the correct representation of the prepared part is the actual target.

Method 1. however is way cooler. I actually nailed something on Saturday night, but there is no doubt that the exact same piece could be played now and I'd muff it, or more likely have nothing to say. Obligatory solo's suck. OK thats a another wild generalization from me, but it if you don't feel it, don't play it. It's OK for musicians to be quiet.

Anthony Jackson has spoken extensively on this, and I think I pretty much go along his line of thought. It's well worth checking out his comments.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:47 am

foal30 wrote:it's just a different bag Steve.
Sometimes the correct representation of the prepared part is the actual target.
Yeah fair call. If you are trying to play a perfect rendition of a piece then preparation before hand is certainly the way to do it.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:04 pm

well I played a really good improvised solo the other night
then managed to butcher the next one :)

I think I know certain musical "facts" that through lots and and lots of practice I can do.
I can then hear were to play them in a piece.I can then improvise with this inside whatever rhythmic or harmonic form.

Hopefully.
It's all practice

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Tue May 26, 2009 8:32 pm

Anthony Jackson speaks EXTENSIVELY on alot things and i love what he has to say - maybe hes so good because hes so assertive in his creative thinking - love the way he finds Pino "a major league irritation" because Pino is so good we all feel the need to drive hard at improvement - especially when you hear beautiful bass players reaping the harvest of their efforts - its something im really struggling with at the moment with having a heavily time-constrained practice window with young childrens interests to cater for - when i have the time - im knackered - a cop-out? - please kick my butt - i definitely need it (my wife doesnt say go play your bass - that would be helpful) - but i digress - this post is about BASS SOLOS - good to prepare and nail it ,for presentation of a good musical experience ,the audience will never know if its contrived or not- however the intense emotional output through spontaneous playing can convey a level of ectasy the listener will unconsiously recognise and be transported - so long as the whole process has a natural flow, and pre-meditation can ensure its sucess - is it the old arguement - great spontaneous creativity only ascends from "a foundation" or "rolling in the ashes" or "having a good theoretical basis" or "executing a premeditative solo with passion in the moment" . At the moment i am stuck with thid dilemma to the point where my bandmates know whats coming and compliment my solo conclusion - i feel i need to say ENOUGH! im going to do something DIFFERENT tonight as my heart tells me - but then i feel on the other hand "this works well" - what say you? - gawd i do go on!

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:24 pm

well you probably just need to try it out.
I'm not sure... say it's A A B A

maybe the second A ...I am going to play completely different stuff in this 8 bar section for the next 5 gigs... Trial and Error + More Practice Time :)