BASS SOLOS

The Bass Player's Toolbox
ryla
Gold Member

Re: BASS SOLOS

Post by ryla » Wed May 27, 2009 1:55 pm

yeah, maybe changing a 'part of the solo might be a good starting point, i usually like to incorporate a 'quote' in there if i can - and i need to think more about what the drummer is/is not doing in there and ask for something different to change the approach

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed May 27, 2009 4:35 pm

I think the frustrating thing about bass solos is the small amount of opportunities to do it live and practice it.
Guitarists and keyboardist hog all the spots don't you recon? :roll:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

red71

Post by red71 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 pm

take a walking bassline and try to rythmicaly throw it around in a higher registar seems to work sometimes in jazz anyway...

WindsorCravette
Bronze Member

Post by WindsorCravette » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:19 pm

why sould it have a Bass solo if you don't even know what to do'??? ???
in my case my band accepts a solo (whatever the instrument) only when the instrumentalist is skillful and clever enough to compose an attractive and very! very! melodic! solo which we all could be proud of, and the audience would be greatful to listen to.

Music is all about your melodies, and if you don't have melodies you don't have songs.
Luv my 24 Frets | | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| (6 strings, neck-through n' long scale)

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:17 pm

So you're saying soloing is about melodies... yeah true.
I've found that I improvise better when I vocalise the notes I'm playing.... which can apply to soloing or walking bass lines.
Guitarists call it 'scatting' I believe... I could be wrong of course.
I think it's just the way my brain is wired
Anyone else find that also?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:52 pm

possibly
it's certainly an useful approach point

as is the melody plus idea
good rhythmic interest and repetition should not be overlooked

there is many ways of looking at soloing and the more options we have to us as players the better teh end result should be. hopefully

WindsorCravette
Bronze Member

Post by WindsorCravette » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:23 pm

beagle wrote:I've found that I improvise better when I vocalise the notes I'm playing.... which can apply to soloing or walking bass lines. Guitarists call it 'scatting' I believe...
You're right:
it's called ''Scatting'' and it's surely useful, very common among jazz musicians
it makes your brain work musically and your melodies flow with your brain, , , someway, somehow.
Luv my 24 Frets | | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| (6 strings, neck-through n' long scale)