learn to play bass website

The Bass Player's Toolbox
JesusCrux

learn to play bass website

Post by JesusCrux » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:42 am

i found a cool site to learn bass on if anyone else is just starting, like i am - it's cool 'cos they have this program where you can click "play" on this flash thing which shows you how to play it, for example http://www.cyberfretbass.com/scales/primer/page2.php

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Hey JC.
That's pretty cool.
Pity they don't have more scales tho.
Cheers

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:15 am

Heres another helpful website that has some good lil tutorials in it... i havnt got a musical bone in my body! But with bone headed perserverance, and this website i managed to suss out the basics, and then all o a sudden bass line construction becomes a relativly simple, and things start to make sense. I recomend the 'running with the bass' write ups. http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/
Harmony Central® Bass Resources
Hope this helps anyone who is where i was afew years ago. :D (truth is i stil go there to find new excercises etc.. )

John50

I do not read tab!

Post by John50 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:23 pm

:? I've only had a quick look at those tuition web sites. They look very helpful, but from a quick click around the lessons, they all seem to use tab.
It took me quite an effort to make myself learn to read conventional music and get to know most of the notes up to or near the 8th fret on my 5 string, so I decided not to try and learn tab, which to me is like another foreign language!!
Most of my playing to date has been for musical shows which require the reading of music.
Any clues on a tuition site that has bass clef music as well as tab??
All comments welcome!
Thanks
John

Randomplay
Silver Member

Re: learn to play bass website

Post by Randomplay » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Hey john, this is pretty late coming, but at the time you posted i couldnt read sheet music... which i have since remedied.

Tab is very simple, you already posses more than the knowledge required to read it.

tab as you look at it. is the strings make the lines, and numbers are the fret played, time line is sequential. Now i dont read tab as this is the way its played, but as the notes... so the 2nd frett on the D is an E(2)..exact same note as the 7th frett on the A... so the the 3rd on D = 8th on A, an F. And so on.. in my experience how tab is written is rarly the easiest way to play it for some unknown reason? But just read it as notes, so it translates to what you already know.

joppo

Post by joppo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:08 pm

So Random (or anyone else for that matter) - if you are reading sheet music written for a keyboard, do you play the bass line exactly as it is written, or do you mix it up a bit. The reason I'm asking is if you play with a keyboard and you play the notes as written, you are playing exactly (well, more or less) the same as the keyboard, albeit an octave lower. I imagine a bass line written for a keyboard would be different from one written specifically for bass because they are different instruments (e.g. you can get more sustain on a keyboard, so maybe use less notes).

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:36 pm

hmm interesting question... I prefer piano players who stay outta my register. ;-)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:08 am

Im with beagle on this one... threaten to break there left hand fingers if theyre playin where i want to be playin :twisted:

Well it depends on the song, take imagine by john lennon, if im playin the bass to that it is pretty much note for note the same as piano..And if im playin it with keys, the keyboardist should have a free hand to have a smoke (to change it would be sacrilegious) but then ive jammed with my mum :oops: and she is into playin rag time style music for the most part.. and there is plenty o scope to play with a pianist... but i dont play the same notes as the piano's bass lines(obviously cant avoid the root), but more just wing a counter type line... hard to explain. :roll: i do seem to end up playin more in extended scales than standard.

A good question... id love to hear some others opinions.

John50

Post by John50 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 pm

joppo wrote:So Random (or anyone else for that matter) - if you are reading sheet music written for a keyboard, do you play the bass line exactly as it is written, or do you mix it up a bit. The reason I'm asking is if you play with a keyboard and you play the notes as written, you are playing exactly (well, more or less) the same as the keyboard, albeit an octave lower. I imagine a bass line written for a keyboard would be different from one written specifically for bass because they are different instruments (e.g. you can get more sustain on a keyboard, so maybe use less notes).
Good question. I've played (& read) music for a long time, but only been on bass for 4 years or so. As far as reading music goes, some of what I play is music scored for the bass guitar as part of an orchestral arrangement, so you play exactly what is written.
Other times I've played shows working from piano music only. Sometimes you need to spice up and build on what is written for the bass line of the piano. For other tunes (e.g. Silly Love Songs arrangement I used) the piano part bass line was note for note what needed to be played by the bass guitar. In that case I asked the piano / ky bd player to leave her LH bass part out. In that example I was MD, so it was easy to fix. Other times you have to be very diplomatic, because some key boardists do not seem to realise / understand that they need to back off their bass left hand part when you have a bass guitar playing........ the bass part!! If they don't it can sound really muddy, boomy, and horrible.
Worst instance for me was an orchestra rehearsal for a musical theatre show, where the bass eq on a Yamaha stage piano was turned way up. The piano was booming so badly I could not hear what I was doing. Fortunately the piano player had no idea how to work the controls, so I was able to "help" by turning the bass eq on the piano right down and fix the problem.

If reading off piano music, I find you often have to play it an octave higher than it's written, which is a bit of a pain if it is a complicated bass line :oops: As I'm till a novice at bass, sometimes the grey matter cannot keep up! :shock:
John50

John50

Post by John50 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Randomplay wrote:Hey john, this is pretty late coming, but at the time you posted i couldnt read sheet music... which i have since remedied.

Tab is very simple, you already posses more than the knowledge required to read it.
Thanks Randomplay, I'll go and have another look at tab and see if I can make that work. It's just a matter of whether the brain can handle thinking that way quick enough! Certainly worth a try to see if that will work for me.

I'm impressed at your learning to read music. Thats a really useful skill to have.

I also agree that there are some classic bass lines that you do not miss with.
John50

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:34 pm

John, try lucas pickford.com/transciption - i cant believe the amount of tuition material avalable these days - just envious really, in the 70s there was nothing, HOWEVER, so much information can confuse or wind up wasting you lots of valuable learning time you should otherwise spend with a reputable one-on-one tutor.

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Thanks for all the feedback to my question. I'm adding a piece of lead pipe to the kit to use for threatening the keyboards! :) Actually, I can see quite a bit of the piano/keyboard music I have basically has the bass guitar part, but have some other stuff were the bass is really sparce, and more suited to the keys. Will try doing some improvisation over that next time I get to jam.