Fingering exercise

The Bass Player's Toolbox
Gold Member

Fingering exercise

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:23 am

Many players limit themselves by only using two fingers to pluck the notes. A little exercise I dreamed up while playing some rather boring music 30 odd years ago was this (obviously for a 4 string bass):

Assign one finger to each string and use ONLY that finger for any note on that string. Thus the little finger will only play on the G string and the first finger on the E string etc. At first this feels a tad weird and will slow you down incredibly. However, after time, it will give you more flexibility and speed that you didn't have using only two fingers.

Its also a useful skill to have if you have a damaged finger and a must play gig. I had a poisoned right index finger and there was no way I could bear it holding a pick or striking a string. Not using the index finger would cripple some player's ability, but having exercised my other fingers, it was an easy gig to get through.

I'm not suggesting you use this as a normal technique, but rather that you try it to extend your playing abilities (and to reduce boredom) :)

Bronze Member

Re: Fingering exercise

Post by goatboy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:00 pm

The title of this thread is misleading :lol: