Good set up = Good Playing

The Bass Player's Toolbox
Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:37 am

LOL. I've played a conservative 10,000+ gigs on bass and I've broken a total of one string in all that time. 8)

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:29 pm

Well thats impressive! I'm only a young fella, but have done around 2000 gigs, and broken maybe 25 strings...and it always seems to happen on the big gigs for some reason :?

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:17 pm

timi wrote:Before you do that, get a can of this from Dick Smith.
You're a legend timi! Thanks ;-)

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:25 pm

I've only ever broken 1 string, and that was on my brothers bass .... 1 hour before a major gig late on a saturday night, no shops open and he had no spares.... lets just say he was not pleased :lol:

As i prefer a really low action a light touch seems to be essential to not get any fret noise. Problem is when I get a bit carried away then the odd nasty buzz pops up... :evil:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Problem is when I get a bit carried away then the odd nasty buzz pops up
Thing is, when you're at a gig, no-one hears the fretbuzz but you. Not worth worrying about for live playing. If anything does leak through, just turn round and glare at the drummer - works every time :lol:

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:19 pm

ha ha classic :lol: Blaming the drummer has got to be the first rule of bass school.
re mistakes... that's so true.. you always notice your own mistakes but most of the time nobody else does.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:32 pm

my handyman jobs around the house are shite, so have my attempts at bass set-up been, ok i have tried afew times and i always get a tech to set up everything from truss rod thru bridge etc, i get adrian from ashworks custom in dominion road he does a great set-up and also the cadenza dude, i might try that scott guy in kingsland next time, which wont be far off with the summer humidity here, nothing like a pro set-up from someone who loves doing it.

Tim1
Gold Member

Re: Good set up = Good Playing

Post by Tim1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:45 pm

I think that every bassist/guitarist should understand how to adjust at least truss rod and intonation, yet as a teacher it surprises me that so many very talented young teenage musos have no idea. I have taken to running the odd lunchtime session to pass on my own meagre knowledge.
Re - tools: do yourself a favour now and buy the right tools for basic maintenance and you will never regret it. Dick Smiths or Mitre 10 can provide allan keys, etc.If you want to do it really properly go online to Stewart-Macdonald,stewmac.com , they have an amazing array of tools from basic to advanced. If you register with them (free) you also get a weekly email letter of tips to maintain your gear. Anything you order from them will be in your hands within a week, and while postage from the states is not cheap you can save by getting someone else to go in with you. You can even learn heaps just from reading their catalogue!

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:02 am

Having until now never had any of my gear setup by anyone other than myself, I finally got lazy and had Ash give my dear old Precision some TLC. A bit of work on the frets, replace the nut, bit of glue into a crack on the headstock from when I'd thrown it across the stage in the '70s and a new cross nut on the truss rod (its the one with the adjustment at the heel of the neck) with an action and intonation tweak etc and it's a more playable bass again. Yes, I could easily have done it myself and normally world have. Having someone else do it was an easy out, though.

I agree completely with what Tim1 says regarding everyone should know how to do the day-to-day care and feeding of their basses.

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:22 pm

Hey how would i be able to get a hold of Ray mercer? I've heard him recommended many times and want to get my new bass set up cause I have a distinct fear that if i try i'll balls it up :P
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:59 pm

i kind of know his nephew and from what he says ray is to busy with politics to take on any new clients

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Haha i searched his name in google and it came up with "Ray Mercer for mayor".
I though ti was a different person, i was wrong apparently.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:40 am

So who/ where is the 'go to guy' for setups and bass maintenance in Auckland?

Modo74
Bronze Member

Post by Modo74 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:34 pm

definite wrote:So who/ where is the 'go to guy' for setups and bass maintenance in Auckland?
I've used MrGlyn down in Onehunga a couple of times.

http://www.mrglyn.co.nz/

Seems reasonably priced, does a good job, and a damn nice fella too.

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:19 am

Dropping my bass off to him today! :D