How to get really quick fingers?

The Bass Player's Toolbox
Jide

How to get really quick fingers?

Post by Jide » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Hey,

I'm an Aussie and am obviously new to BassPlayer.co.nz but have been playing bass for about two months.

I practice everyday and I can definitely see improvement coming.
However I would like some tips for improving the speed of my fingers. The goal is that I would like to be able to play "Around the World" (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and "Parallel Universe" (also by the Chili's) fairly comfortably.

Also, my fretting fingers get fairly sore after alot of playing but I'm assuming this will improve in time?

Cheers,
Josh 8)

Dan

Re: How to get really quick fingers?

Post by Dan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Its all about repetition man. Build up stamina at lower speeds, it will translate when you want to go faster.

Same goes for fretting hand, your fingers will "harden up" in time. Just keep at it!! :)

Jide

Post by Jide » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 pm

yeah i do notice that i seem to be getting quicker and it has definetly improved the more i play. in the mean time i guess i'll just have to live with sore hands! :(

cheers,
Josh 8)

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Dan's bang on about repetition.
The sore hands etc is all part of the beginning phase but it'll get easier as time goes on.
Welcome to the site Jide 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

bennybass

Post by bennybass » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:40 pm

when you arent playing bass and there is a table around just practice tapping your two fingers in an alternating fashion on the edge of the table... good way to practice the rhythm with it sounds like a drum beat... there is more then just playing fast you need to also have even tone... :)
cheers from USA

nzbassplayer

Post by nzbassplayer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:57 pm

practice long and hard.

Once you obtain the ability, you only have to put in fraction of the time that you did.

Jide

Post by Jide » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:11 pm

hey,

haven't been on the forums for a while but have just been getting used to a greater rush of homework as i start a new year in school :)

anyway, thanks for the welcomes to the forums, and especially for the tips.

thanks again for your help,

cheers,
Josh

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:21 am

stretch your fingers and hands regularly, even when you're not playing. Helps keep them supple and flexible, which in turn helps with speed.

goatboy
Bronze Member

Post by goatboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Being an Aussie you'll probably have an extra finger on one of your hands, just buy a left or right handed bass to suit.

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:05 pm

/ \
|
|
haha whoa!?
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 am

+1 for Dan's advice. This is the way to go.

I'm doing a gig on guitar next Sat night and I've had to learn some fiddly litte numbers, particulary the guitar solos in Enter Sandman and Hotel California. Repititon worked a treat for these, I spent a good few hours playing the solos over and over at my own pace, then once I felt my fingers knew what they had to do without too much thinking, I played along with the tracks with no issues.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:58 pm

there's no question that practice helps improve muscle memory but you might like to consider the following as well

1) Relax. Your fingers will move quicker if your muscles are not tense and fighting each other
2) Get your bass set up properly so that you don't have to fight it to play it. Lower action, lighter strings etc. etc. all contribute.

It'll take more effort to play fast if you are used to playing aggressively. I have a mate on my forum, Dood, who is a prog metal player. He can keep up with the guitarist in his band (who is known nationally) and his 7 string bass is set up super low for super fast runs up the neck.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

nzbassplayer

Post by nzbassplayer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:54 am

my approach is quite different.

To play fast on the bass, you gotta put a lot into it to get alot out of it.

I use a method of focused and determined burst of energy. LOTS of tension and aggressive.

The action on my neck is quite high and I use regular gauge strings. Rotosound .45 to .105

Playing fast on bass is not like playing fast on guitar. the two approaches are completely different.

And you can easierly out-play a guitarist in terms of speed.

As a matter of fact, there's no other instrument that you can compare too.

I guess each person is different. but I know my methods work.