surveying bass reasonings

Bass related topics
irvinz
Gold Member

surveying bass reasonings

Post by irvinz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:24 pm

random title to get you to click! :)

been just looking at the current market for basses and had always wondered why spector basses never really had much of a following in new zealand. what do you guys think? it definitely has a pocketful of followers in the states and in europe, not much compared to the likes of fenders and music-mans etc. any guys who love the modern ibanez stuff but not the specters?
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: surveying bass reasonings

Post by martyforrer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 am

For myself, I find the bodies are are bit small. I like Fender/Yamaha TRB size bodies. Even the Pedulla I had felt a little on the small size, although the perfect balance made up for it. I had one of those Korean Spectors back in the 90s but it did not balance well.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 pm

They look wang.

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Ironically, lots of people think they're Warwick rip-offs.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 pm

timi wrote:They look wang.
heh. some of their wood grain choices definitely are a lil 'wang.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:30 pm

martyforrer wrote:For myself, I find the bodies are are bit small. I like Fender/Yamaha TRB size bodies. Even the Pedulla I had felt a little on the small size, although the perfect balance made up for it. I had one of those Korean Spectors back in the 90s but it did not balance well.
the last i played one. over two years ago, was pretty well balanced. love their 5 stringers as well. B string definitely benefits from that extra inch!

joppo

Post by joppo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 pm

T-Dub wrote:Ironically, lots of people think they're Warwick rip-offs.
Their body shape is similar to some of the Warwicks, but the headstocks are way different.

I've got a Spector Spectorcore which is a semi-hollowbody. It is reasonably well balanced and I like because it is a little different. I got it second hand for a pretty good price because they aren't popular here. The NS (Ned Steinberger) ones are supposed to be really good.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:41 pm

irvinz wrote: had always wondered why spector basses never really had much of a following in new zealand. what do you guys think?
Because when you walk into the Rockshop you don't see a whole bunch of them on the wall.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:31 am

timi wrote:
irvinz wrote: had always wondered why spector basses never really had much of a following in new zealand. what do you guys think?
Because when you walk into the Rockshop you don't see a whole bunch of them on the wall.
Agreed, coupled with not seeing many of ones "bass heros" playing them

nonohmic

Post by nonohmic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:18 am

Never had the had the chance to try one but aesthetically they take all the things that are meh about other designs and roll them into one meh package. They do look playable though and some of the higher end ones have some wicked finishes on them.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am

timi wrote:
And you wont, because Spectors are imported by the parent company of the Music Planet shops. Rockshops do their own importing, so apart from Fender the majority of their instruments are their own imported brands. All Music Planet shops have Spectors in stock.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:58 am

martyforrer wrote:
timi wrote:
And you wont, because Spectors are imported by the parent company of the Music Planet shops. Rockshops do their own importing, so apart from Fender the majority of their instruments are their own imported brands. All Music Planet shops have Spectors in stock.
:) timi already knows that I'm sure!

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 am

Nope didn't know that SouthPac imported them, but what does that say? If Rockshop had them I bet they would be more popular.

Not that Music Planet is doing anything wrong, but the Rockshop has stores everywhere and it seems to be the first place most musicians go to.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:22 am

Stuart Spector remains one of the most important bass guitar designers.

no Spector = no Warwick.

the NS-2 remains a great and influential bass. Whilst flavors change there is no argument that Spector was top of the pile for "hi-fi" basses in the mid-80's.

NZ players are colored by what is in the shop. That is unlikely to change.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:58 pm

I will stick my neck out here and state that I have never managed to bond with active basses. I have owned my share - Pedulla, Fender American Deluxe, early Peavey Dynabass, Musicman (the closet I came to a keeper), and a few others I have forgotten over the years. Definitely a matter of preference, but I do not slap for me passive basses feel more "organic" and sit in the mix more naturally. No doubt style dependent, but for this old rocker/bluesman give me a passive jazz or precision into an all tube amp and the groove seems to come a lot more easily.