What if...

Bass related topics
manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

What if...

Post by manofthematch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 am

Ok, let's get a little fictitious here... a natural disaster (we live in NZ after all) or the end of the world hits your town, your house is about to burn down in 5 minutes. What's that one bit of bass gear you grab before you scoot outside and your house totally collapses.

I would grab my Stingray 5.

How bout the rest of y'all?
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: What if...

Post by foal30 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Bit like asking which one of the kids you would grab :D

We had a 7.1 here and I was under the bedroom doorway but wanting to get to the lounge as I have Basses on wall hangers in there.

Probably L2 Steinberger , maybe the Precision.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:26 pm

My precision for sure. I have a Washburn 6 string guitar with a quilted maple top, and if I had a spare hand I'd probably grab that too, just cos I love the finish on it so much, would hate for it to get damaged!
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:18 pm

Bit like asking which one of the kids you would grab
Haha - but when you don't have kids and own a couple of basses, choice has gotta be made. Only time to grab one thing.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:34 pm

of the 8 sitting here,most likely my trusty old acoustic fender.....for one thing the strings recently cost me $99 !! (but well worth it,best it has ever sounded)
obviously requires no electricity....and may actually act as a float or surfboard in case of a flood or tsunami.
as a last resort I could also use it as firewood and those expensive strings would come in handy for something I'm sure...

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Hmmm....
No I think I can get away with more than one in this natural disaster situation

I would use the upright as my raft, paddle with my corvette 5er (for ergonomic reasons), and have the streamer on my back in a gig bag.

Only loser is the fender, unless the hard case floats in which case it could function as a sort of aquatic trailer in tow

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:59 am

It would have to be one of the Fenders......most valuable is the 63 Jazz.....hmmmm...what do I use most.....Custom shop 59 Precision with TI flats - yep, that would be it- no brainer really.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:49 pm

foal30 wrote:Bit like asking which one of the kids you would grab :D

We had a 7.1 here and I was under the bedroom doorway but wanting to get to the lounge as I have Basses on wall hangers in there.

Probably L2 Steinberger , maybe the Precision.
I remember that 7.1 well.... my covers band had played a gig the night before and I think I got to bed at 2:30am before mother nature rudely woke me and the wife up at 4:35am!!! Never wake a bass player up before they've had at least 8 hours sleep!
To be honest I wasn't that worried about my band gear... I was worried about my wife my cat and my nearly full bottle of Jim Beam in the liquor cabinet (that thankfully survived!)
My bass gear was all at the back of the garage in that house and since moving to Auckland in September 2011 my bass gear is now at the front of the garage!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Tough call.
Of my 9 here in NZ, my decision would come down to my 77 Precision or my 2011 Jazz
Lucky for me, my collection hasn't arrived from overseas yet or the choice would be far tougher to make...
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL,8x10
Ampeg SVT 4PRO, 610
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg Micro VR rig (4sale)
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:28 pm

I'd be more concerned with saving my own neck than a bass neck. A bass is just a dumb old plank of wood.

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:24 pm

martyforrer wrote:I'd be more concerned with saving my own neck than a bass neck. A bass is just a dumb old plank of wood.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Sacrilege!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:57 pm

I'd grab my Kala U Bass after my wife and cat, those polyurethane strings could really come in handy in an emergency.