Shipping Bass From Overseas (USA)

Bass related topics
cjj
Bronze Member

Shipping Bass From Overseas (USA)

Post by cjj » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:56 pm

Has anyone here ever shipped a bass from the USA to NZ?

If so, what shipper did you use, DHL, Postal Service, etc.?

Any info/advice on how to handle the GST and other such charges?

Tim1
Gold Member

Re: Shipping Bass From Overseas (USA)

Post by Tim1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:26 pm

I shipped a bass from Elderly instruments in the States a couple of years ago - just checked the docket and they used FedEx. Nice, easy and simple transaction and it was on my doorstep before a week was up. Be aware that once it is in this country you will need a NZ customs client code number - you can apply for one quickly on line, and once you have one it is permanent.
It pays to track it and the moment it arrives here ring FedEx or whoever in Auckland is your shipping agent and provide them with your customs number and credit card details to pay GST. Don't expect them necessarily to ring you straight away - in my experience this does not happen. Follow up yourself and things go pretty smoothly and quickly.
As an alternative shipping agent I have just imported a Dingwall bass through Bass Gear Direct in Australia - used TNT this time and they have been fine to deal with also (bass should be in my hands tomorrow :D ).
So, in my experience, both FedEx and TNT are pretty good to deal with and very helpful.

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Tim1 wrote:Be aware that once it is in this country you will need a NZ customs client code number -
Good info, thanks!

As for the client code number, on the NZ Customs site:
http://www.customs.govt.nz/incommercial ... t.aspx?s=4

It says:
A client code is a unique number that identifies individual importers and exporters. Client codes are only issued to New Zealand entities (such as registered New Zealand companies).
This seems to imply that a private individual can't even get one as they likely aren't a "New Zealand entity." Heck, I'm not even a NZ citizen! :lol:

Guess I'm gonna have to call them up and see what they say. I'm getting a used bass from a friend of mine.

I definitely want to do everything by the book though, I've always figured it's best not to get the government mad at you...

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:10 am

Definitely shouldn't be a problem to get a client code, I have several friends with one. I am not a New Zealand citizen either and I got mine as a private individual. I got mine a few years ago by just going into the office in Napier, but it looks like you do it on line now??? Either way should be easy as many do it - they gave me my number on the spot, took about two minutes at the time.

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:48 am

I have shipped about 4 bass guitars from the USA to NZ. I have used Fed Ex and USPS. Never had any issues yet. I have always been hit with customs fees/duties/taxes every time a bring a bass in. The cheapest carrier has been USPS and I have never paid anymore than 150 USD for shipping (excluding NZ customs fees) - http://postcalc.usps.com/ . The cost to ship an item from USA to NZ can vary a lot from carrier to carrier so it does pay to look around for the best price. I have found that buying from Ebay can be the cheapest way to get things shipped to NZ when the seller uses the Ebay Global Shipping programme. This is when the seller ships the guitar to Ebay and then Ebay ships the item to you to your international destination on the sellers behalf.
Hope this helps
Bronze
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:39 pm

Great info, Bronze! I've read some things on other fora about shipping via USPS and having issues with the size, especially for basses. Did you have to send it by any special method or did you just give the dimensions and have it "work?"

Most of the things I've read about are regarding shipping to OZ, which seems like it might be similar, but could, of course, be quite different. Prices I've seem people talk about are more in the $300 to $500 range for FedEx, UPS, and DHL. $150 would sure be better than those prices.

Did you have to have the "client code" as well? Looks like there is no import duty for guitars or musical instruments, so it seems like it should be just GST, which on a couple grand is going to be bad enough...

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:21 pm

I have not had any issues with the size of the basses being too big for either USPS or Fed Ex to ship from USA to NZ. All 4 basses (regular 34 inch scale sizes) i had shipped from USA were in regular sized bass cases/boxes.

With regards to the cost of shipping, it can vary a lot between different carriers. I have had people quote me prices like 300+ USD using quotes from some of the more expensive carriers. The best/cheapest from my experience has been USPS, and the most i have ever been charged was exactly 157.26 USD (excluding NZ customs fees) lol - a 2013 American Fender Jazz Select bass shipped from Texas. Use http://postcalc.usps.com/ to help calculate shipping using USPS.

With regards to the NZ customs fees, i took care of them after the bass arrived in NZ.

Best of luck. I am interested in knowing what bass you are looking at importing?

Bronze

cjj wrote:Great info, Bronze! I've read some things on other fora about shipping via USPS and having issues with the size, especially for basses. Did you have to send it by any special method or did you just give the dimensions and have it "work?"

Most of the things I've read about are regarding shipping to OZ, which seems like it might be similar, but could, of course, be quite different. Prices I've seem people talk about are more in the $300 to $500 range for FedEx, UPS, and DHL. $150 would sure be better than those prices.

Did you have to have the "client code" as well? Looks like there is no import duty for guitars or musical instruments, so it seems like it should be just GST, which on a couple grand is going to be bad enough...
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks for all the info, it's a real help!
bronzet wrote: I am interested in knowing what bass you are looking at importing?
This one:

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:32 am

Customs won't release the item to your carrier without the client code. You contact the carrier and tell them your client code, they pass on the details to customs and pay all duties. You then reimburse the carrier before they send it on to you. No big deal, happens every day. Just checked on my Dingwall and the only extra charges were GST. I am not sure what happens if there is an importer already in the country though, I believe some new items cannot be shipped if that is the case because of the arrangement between the manufacturer and the local importer. Although with the global market much of that seems to have gone by the by.
You do not need the client code to make the initial purchase, you can always sort that out once the item has arrived in the country - a friend of mine recently did just that.

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 pm

I've brought a fender in with USPS. Even with import tax and the (I think $160) shipping it was still about $400 cheaper than retail here.

Of course there is risk involved and it can take a long time - you save money but at the cost of not being able to play it in person first, if for whatever reason you don't like it or there is something wrong prepare for a huge hassle and months of back and forth (haven't experienced that with a guitar yet but have with other expensive things I've had shipped...)