thinking about having a break or changing bands

Bass related topics
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

thinking about having a break or changing bands

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:48 am

I have been thinking about this for a while now

I really like the band I am playing in at the moment, they are good musicians, good friends and we play most weekends (Saturdays) and get some really good gigs, but the constant travelling across Auckland and getting home from most gigs around 3am (or later) is starting to take its toll.

My wife has said to me several times that I am always grumpy and in a bad mood the day after a band gig. I don’t drink alcohol at gigs (occasionally have the odd beer) and drink mainly water, but most mornings after a gig I wake up with a headache and not really in the mood to do things around the house that need doing like mowing lawns / washing / gardening…etc…

Plus singer has just given me updated gigs for the rest 2015 / 2016 and there are a couple of ‘out of town’ gigs on a Friday that will require me taking the Friday off work (not that I have a problem with this)

My wife suggested that I look for a band ‘closer to home’, and although I may find a band based closer to home there is no guarantee the band will have gigs closer to home - or be as good as the band I'm in at the moment…

We don’t NEED the money, but it is handy and it goes straight into the bank towards a bit of a house reno for next year or a newer car.

The problem is if I do take a break or give it up, then I’ll be sitting at home on Saturday nights twiddling my thumbs bored out of my brains! I’ve been playing for about 20 + yrs and I’m still relatively young (mid 40’s)

Has anyone else had a similar problem and seriously thought about taking a break or giving it up?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: thinking about having a break or changing bands

Post by foal30 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:32 am

Giving up is never an option!

Changing what we do is always worth a thought.

FWIW I will probably never go back to "Fulltime covers" but I still play as much as I did then. I am probably in a minority but I get as much out of home study or writing original music than I ever did playing in a pub.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:09 am

+1 to what foal said. Although I did stop playing for 5 years when my first kid was born

What about finding a bass player to share the load? or finding/starting a covers or an originals band that only plays once or twice a month

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:56 pm

I seem to be in a never ending limbo going between "I've got way too many commitments I've got to drop a project / start turning away new students" and "damn I wish I had something on about now!!"

The balance is a challenge.. I have found it safer to stay just a little bit "too busy" because sooner or later something else falls through and then at least there's still something going on.

But if you don't really need the money there's plenty of players who do who would be happen to unburden you of some of those pesky gigs.... aaahahahaha .... seriously though

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:52 am

I like the idea of having another bass player on hand for gigs you don't want to do. It should not be too hard to find someone, there are lots of guys who want occasional gigs rather than a big commitment. I gave it away for the whole of the 70s when I went farming, and it was hard getting back into it, plus I missed the natural learning of that whole decade, so had lots of catching up to do.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:02 pm

thanks for the replies.
I don't think finding another bass player to 'share' the load would be favourable with my band... each bass player has their own feel and groove.... incidentially that's how I got the gig in this band.... their previous bass player was becoming a little unreliable, taking his kids along to private gigs, and turning up to some gigs stoned or wearing casual / trackpanks to a wedding / coporate gig (he apparently still has one of our drummers shirts!)

We had a bit of a dud gig on Saturday sound wise.... after first song drummer stops because his kick drum isn't coming through FOH and he has to get out his old mic and we have to sound check the kick again... then singer starts yelling at me to turn my bass up and I ended up having my amp master volume on 9.5 (was worried I was going to blow the amp or the speakers). then drummer yells "Your bass isn't coming through the desk"
So I just continued playing and was going to sort it out at the break, but then it came on suddenly through FOH and was 10 x louder than everyone else! Singer screams at drummer (who is also the soundman) to turn vocals up in monitors, so he does and the monitors start squealing (this has happend a few times). I have suggested to them that they invest in some good quality powered monitors... but like all gear it costs $$$

ahh the perils of playing in a live band!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:08 pm

This is just my opinion, but if someone screams at someone else because the band is so loud that's the only way you'll be heard, or if it's because someone is really pissed off....... it's time to leave and find something more relaxed.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Bassicly, we play because we love to play and should do till we die( Its in your blood, your ancestors were probably musos) - if its no fun anymore don't do it - gigging is also a good opportunity to get relief in the knowledge that the issues you get with your wife are not yours alone and fellow band members have exactly the same situations with their wives, so its not a personal thing with you, its a man/woman thing - its good to get confirmation from your fellow music warriors.(If she complains about your being listless the day after a gig imagine the pain you will become to her if you don't get your musical relief with gigging).