Active to Active/Passive mod?

Bass related topics
mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Active to Active/Passive mod?

Post by mickeyj4j » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:07 pm

I am wondering if I could make my Aria 5 string active bass into an active/passive.
Here are the specs
*Nice carved alder body
*Bolt-on maple neck
*Rosewood fingerboard
*34″ scale length
*24 frets
*Two BD-4 double-coil Humbucker pickups
*Controls: One volume knob, one balance knob, one active treble knob, and one active bass knob
*Matte Silver hardware.

1. Do it
2. Can't do it
3. Leave it
4. DIY: I have basic soldering skills.
5. Take it in to do. Ok where in Auckland?

Any ideas would be helpful.

potatoes
Silver Member

Re: Active to Active/Passive mod?

Post by potatoes » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:23 pm

What I have done (I possess no skill with wiring electronics) in the past is order a new pre-amp from http://www.bestbassgear.com/ , and then brought it to mr Glynn to wire in in place of the old one. This website is good because they pre-wire it in whatever knob configuration you want, so just make sure it will fit your bass or installation costs go way up.

I'm not an expert but you may even just be able to order a push/pull volume knob and swap it out with the current volume pot and leave the rest of the pre-amp in tact.

I'd be a little careful doing this on a cheap bass - I ordered an Aguilar pre amp and by the time I had it all installed it cost me about $400, so if you're doing it on a cheap bass it may not be worth it and you might want to save the money towards a bass that comes how you want it anyway

Edit:
A little clicking around you can order a push/pull pot from the website http://www.bestbassgear.com/pots.htm and if you can solder that in yourself that's probably the best way to go about it. I don't really know what the deal is with getting that to work with your existing pre amp

irvinz
Gold Member

Re: Active to Active/Passive mod?

Post by irvinz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:19 am

yup. the pot potatoes posted would would work. would just have to figure out which part of the circuit you want it in.

if reckon just get a normal 'tone' pot (i.e. adding a cap on it) and bypass your preamp, so just have volume- balance (im assuming pickup selector) - tone - output. Just to see if you like the passive side of things on your bass/pickups
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com