Bass / Band Bloopers

Bass related topics
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Bass / Band Bloopers

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:36 pm

After a funny incident during last nights gig soundcheck I thought I'd start a bloopers type thread.

last night we set up for the gig and drummer starts soundshecking his kick drum - but it sound very weak... he turns his kick drum up on the desk and it starts ringing badly, so he spends 5 mins changing the EQ on the desk to try and make his kick sound clearer..... then I take a look at the right hand side FOH speakers, and realise they are not even turned on...

about 2 years ago (same venue actually) we were doing soundcheck and I wasn't getting any sound out of my amp.... tried different guitar leads, different speaker leads / channels ... switching it on and off and re-starting it and nothing happened.... plugged bass straight into PA and got sound out FOH, so knew bass was ok.
Thinking I was going to have to shell out $$ for a new amp I took 1 last look at my amp and realised I had my bass plugged into the 'headphone socket' of my amp! that was my 'DOH' moment!

anyoe else got any funny 'incidents' that'd like to share?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: Bass / Band Bloopers

Post by martyforrer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:49 pm

I was once booked as a bass sub for the first set of a well-known Auckland funk band's gig at their regular nightclub. I had the tapes and charts well in advance, so had nailed it down. Trouble was, the regular vocalist, Peter Morgan, was sick so he had a sub too. New vocalist called not one single song I had prepared for, and I did not even recognise anything he did. The keyboard player, Ben Gilgen, was calling chords to me but the volume made it almost impossible to hear him. When the regular bassist turned up for the rest of the gig I was ready to slide down a crack in the floor. Did my fragile ego no good at all. :oops:

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:56 am

another one about 18 years ago I turned up to the gig, unloaded all my gear and waited and waited.... then another band started coming in to unload their gear.... confused I went to the bar and asked the bar staff if I could use the phone to call singer / guitarist
Singer said 'Gig is at XXXX - where the hell are you"?
I'd gone to the wrong pub and had a frantic 30 min drive to the pub we actually were playing in! :lol:
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:00 pm

Got way f***ed up after a gig
Walked home

I'd been reading in the local rag about some deviant stealing ladies knickers off washing lines. I go past this house and there's this guy perving through the window. So I put my bass down real quiet, skip the fence and jump on the fecker all Citizen Arrest.

Except it was a Lemon Bush with a Frost Jacket on....

I ran like the wind
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:58 am

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:27 pm

OMG lol. Seriously?!

Whero

Post by Whero » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Just been reading through some old threads and thought I'd chuck a few comments in this one. I'm not sure if it counts as a "blooper" but it's a good story of gigs gone wrong...

I used to do IT contract work in Australia in the early 90s and supplemented my income with gigs a couple of nights a week. After I while I hooked up with a guy who was playing in a pub that was owned by a friend of mine. He'd been in well-known bands in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe in the 60s and 70s (so he said) and obviously still thought he was a big shot, but was now playing working men's clubs around Canberra and rural New South Wales. He played guitar and sang, I programmed simple drum/piano/string/brass lines into a Roland keyboard and played bass live underneath. Mostly folky stuff. We'd rehearse well, then in live gigs he'd mess up; he'd repeat bits, skip bits, arbitrarily decide to do a key change - stuff I could generally follow on the bass but didn't work so well with the pre-programmed backing track. And because he was a legend in his own mind, when things weren't going well he'd start abusing the audience.

The lowest point was the night he got into it with some poor woman who was trying to enjoy Mother's Day dinner with her husband and two kids under 10 at the Queanbeyan leagues club. He said some pretty rude stuff so her husband got up, a minor scuffle ensued and the guitarist got a bloody nose. We had to leave. We moved our gear to a loading dock, then he went to get his car - a ute with a fibreglass canopy. He opened the rear canopy door, then got in and reversed, too fast, catching the open door on the roof that covered the loading dock and ripping the canopy clean off the back of the ute. I stuck it back on (always carry gaffer tape in your gig bag) and the drive home was made in complete, awkward silence. I never played with him again. In fact, it took me a couple of months to play with anyone again.
When I was a little boy, I told my dad, "When I grow up, I want to be a musician." He said: "You can’t do both, son."
― Chet Atkins