Anyone G.A.S free?

Bass related topics
pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Anyone G.A.S free?

Post by pins » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:18 pm

john wrote:Looks like a really nice bass. I love me the P/J set up. How much are they?
I think you would get used to the neck
Ha I actually never did find out what the Retail price was,and probably just as well !

I may have gotten used to the neck john if I didnt have so many basses here to compare it too,necks are a very personal thing to me,and can make or break any bass.Just the general shape didnt appeal to my small hands at all.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:18 am

Just about there. I went to Music Planet on Queen St and got a Fender P Bass Highway One.
In October I'll be picking up a Limited Edition Stingray (from Melbourne) which I've had on lay buy.

My bass family will comprise:
* 3 x passive Fenders (MIM jazz fretless, Highway One jazz, Highway One P)
* 3 x active Musicman Stingrays (two 5s and one 4)

It would be a crime to get any more and I'm going to stop.

My rig is complete (Ampeg), no need for effects. Plenty of good quality cables.

I need to grow up now, use money for a house in Auckland. (Eek!)
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:56 am

Congrats on the new addition! :P I had been eyeing up a Highway1 Jazz at RS in Henderson, a nice matte black example too. I had refrained myself from playing it I store, cos I new that would just start the whole process, and end the happy wife part! One day it thought bugger it, I might not even like how it plays( who was I kidding?!), and went to try it and it had been sold! Not that I had the coin at the time, but I was gutted. I dunno if I'll ever be content, but a decent jazz would be top of my list, my modified Squier will do the trick for now.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:20 am

I'm sorry you missed that Highway One. When you said the Henderson Rockshop store that rung a bell. I think that might have been the Highway One I purchased as I seem to remember it coming from the Henderson store. Black with white pick guard, RW fingerboard, Badass2 bridge, and nice a thin matte finish, slightly shop soiled with the odd scratch. If its the same bass it is a very nice Jazz. I now have TS flats on it and it feels smooth as silk. If I ever want to sell it, I'll send you a message.

I find with musical instruments, my only other experience of GAS is with saxophones, which was another expensive exercise before I found my sax 'soul mates', one of which I am now trying to sell due to bass taking over from sax as my main obsession musically: is that when you find that instrument 'mate' they just feel right, they suit your sound sensibilities and all you want to do is play them and look after them. Unfortunately life and its demands and its consequences (i.e. the need to work several hours of the day followed by chronic tiredness at the end of the day) often gets in the way of 'mate' bonding time.

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:49 am

Yep that sounds like the one! Pleased to hear it's gone to a good home :D
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:47 am

G.A.S. FREE???????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kinda like "extra" money... Ain't gonna happen...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops:

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:35 pm

For me darkglass bk3 overdrive watched about all the YouTube clips on it, I think it sounds like a wicked sounding pedal but got diverted when a genz benz shuttle 6 and a 15 inch bin came acoss my path which has being also on my list 8) :D. It very stops :lol:

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 am

I am *practically* GAS free, my P-Bass, Orange AD200B, and Genz Benz Neo212 nail the tone I have in my head.
I've tried other stuff but this combo just sits perfectly in everything. I had absurd GAS on guitar but with bass, I've found all the things that work for me.
Jazz was always nice at home but I was always tussling with it live, basically just leaving it on the neck pup where it sounds like a P-Bass as much as possible.
Stingray was just the same, some days it was perfect, other days it sounded pokey and lacking lows.

That said though, the only thing I'd want to get is a nice Stingray Classic 4, and maybe another Diamond Bass Comp and a Genz Benz Streamliner 600 if I was playing out more.

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:53 pm

I was totally GAS free after modding my Dean Stylist Cabbie with Gretsch Blacktop Filtertrons but of course I am back to my old ways- coveting a few choice items.

Still really want an old-school fender Bassman 135 with pyramid quad or a TV Combo (210 or 115). I would also settle for a new Ampeg Portaflex head and cab set...
I also still really want an MXR m87 Compressor or similar

But most of all, I want a Fender Rascal!!! (the MIM version, not the Custom Shop)
I was gonna mod my japanese Fender Jaguar Bass with Dano-style lipstick jazz pickups - now I don't have to - and it's shortscale!!!
8) 8) 8)

http://www.fender.com/en-NZ/series/clas ... turquoise/
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL,8x10
Ampeg SVT 4PRO, 610
Ampeg PF-800 & PF-115HE
Ampeg B-100R
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

J-Funk

Post by J-Funk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 am

I can only think of two ways to get GAS free.

1). sell all your gear and quit playing.
2). get on the road and hitch hike with your favourite instrument - that'll streamline you.

Aside from that, just accept who you are. Some people scuba dive, some kite surf, some are gamers. You have an awesome hobby that costs money. Probably the most awesome. Enjoy :D
Pedalshack: bringing the world's best boutique and handmade effects pedals to NZ musicians at the lowest prices possible.

http://www.facebook.com/pedalshack

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:35 pm

J-Funk wrote: You have an awesome hobby that costs money. Probably the most awesome. Enjoy :D
ain't that a fact !

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:34 pm

So here's a question for all you g.a.s.sers.

You've saved up $4000.00.
You are allowed (promise to your wife) to make your last bass purchase and you've decided you want a high end passive Fender Jazz. A lifetime keeper. Someone you know has 2 early 1970's real m'coy Fender jazz basses, one of which they have offered to you within your saved price amount. However you also have gas for a new Fender Vintage 74 reissue. What's it to be? What would you do?

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Play them both. Feel has to be a massive part in the decision. All Fenders are created awesome. Some are created more awesome than others :D

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:31 am

I will get to try before I buy the 2 Vintage Fenders when they are ready, apparently they haven't been played in a long time and there are some issues with the pots not functioning properly, they will no doubt need a good setup after all this time, but I don't have access to a new Fender Vintage 74 reissue down here in Gisborne to test play, so only have the usual You Tube videos, biased testimony on the Fender site, and the back and forth meanderings on Talkbass etc.

The other factor that I have been pondering is the idea that the hardware on modern high end i.e. 'more expensive' Fenders is superior to the old Fenders, the machining is better due to the precise nature of cnc milling, newer hi mass bridges, not the old bent sheet metal and all that, but that the old Fenders may have it in terms of the tonal qualities of the woods used. Based on my experience of using modern screws in the work that I do, I bet the quality of the metal in older screws is much better. Modern screws are often rubbish, either too brittle or too soft.

But yes, it is the sound and feel that is the crucial factor.

J-Funk

Post by J-Funk » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:51 am

greghr wrote:So here's a question for all you g.a.s.sers.

You've saved up $4000.00.
You are allowed (promise to your wife) to make your last bass purchase and you've decided you want a high end passive Fender Jazz. A lifetime keeper. Someone you know has 2 early 1970's real m'coy Fender jazz basses, one of which they have offered to you within your saved price amount. However you also have gas for a new Fender Vintage 74 reissue. What's it to be? What would you do?
Man I hate having problems like this :lol:
Pedalshack: bringing the world's best boutique and handmade effects pedals to NZ musicians at the lowest prices possible.

http://www.facebook.com/pedalshack