Anyone G.A.S free?

Bass related topics
cjj
Bronze Member

Re: Anyone G.A.S free?

Post by cjj » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:33 am

greghr wrote:So here's a question for all you g.a.s.sers.

You've saved up $4000.00.
You are allowed (promise to your wife) to make your last bass purchase and you've decided you want a high end passive Fender Jazz. A lifetime keeper. Someone you know has 2 early 1970's real m'coy Fender jazz basses, one of which they have offered to you within your saved price amount. However you also have gas for a new Fender Vintage 74 reissue. What's it to be? What would you do?
I'd buy a Rick...

But that's me...
:mrgreen:

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:20 am

I have owned and played more than my share of Fenders "vintage" and new over the years (still do). They are created similar, not equal, and you do need to play them to find the one that speaks to you. Fender are making some great new instruments, I recently played a sixtieth anni P that played and sounded superb. If it is a seventies bass I would not really classify it as vintage and you do need to try it as there were some dogs around then (as well as some great ones) - I would not buy a seventies bass over a recent one simply because it is from the seventies. Sixties instruments are a different story, especially pre-cbs although there were some dogs then too but they do have added value as collectibles (although there are many traps for the unwary there too).
I have to say that I doubt that the average punter hears any difference between a Squier, new USA built or a sixties instrument by the time it has been eq'd at the amp and at the desk. The difference comes in finding that bass that speaks to you, feels and sounds right to your ears - dare I say it "mojo". Indefinable and different for each of us, but if a bass has it then you will play better. If vintage basses do it for you, then the chances are it is worth it as you will play better on it and appreciate it for its intrinsic value.
While I own some sixties Fenders my main player remains a Custom Shop Precision which is absolute magic for me, but I also bought a Custom Shop Jazz at the same time which by comparison was dead and never spoke to me. I sold it.
The point of all this diatribe? Use your ears, but I would have to say I would not pay anywhere near $4000 for a seventies Fender unless it had something really special going for it.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:43 am

Thanks Tim
Really helpful advice.
cheers

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:04 pm

[quote="greghr"]So here's a question for all you g.a.s.sers.

You've saved up $4000.00.
You are allowed (promise to your wife) to make your last bass purchase and you've decided you want a high end passive Fender Jazz. A lifetime keeper. Someone you know has 2 early 1970's real m'coy Fender jazz basses, one of which they have offered to you within your saved price amount. However you also have gas for a new Fender Vintage 74 reissue. What's it to be? What would you do?[/quote]

Hi Greg.

Economically there are things to factor in as well. Simply put a 70's Fender is likely to appreciate more than any reissue. I'm not sure what buying a new reissue would cost, but if TM is a guide then potentially the difference between that and a genuine 70's may not be a chasm.

As stated previously try before you buy Fender is important. I like my 70's Fenders but the three post '75 Jazz I've tried were awful and I played a mid 70's P that weighed 4 tonne.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

David
Bronze Member

Post by David » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:54 pm

greghr wrote:You've saved up $4000.00
Shame your're not in Auckland, you could try/buy my Fender American Vintage 75 re-issue - with $4K you'd have almost enough change for an original 70s one too :lol:

Joking aside, if you buy a new '74 re-issue and ever need to sell it you'd maybe get 1/2 your money back but an original will hold its value or appreciate over time

David
Bronze Member

Post by David » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:58 pm

foal30 wrote:I'm not sure what buying a new reissue would cost
Rockshop have one listed for $3799 so even with the usual 15% discount it'll still cost a fair bit more than an original one

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:29 pm

I can say now that I am, as of this moment, officially GAS free. I turned away from the American Vintage Reissue. I thought, what's the point spending money for a bass that has two components I would just take off. So I have purchased a new American Std Jazz 4 string. From what I have heard the Am Std Jazz with the custom shop pickups is every bit as good sound wise as the 74 reissue. I know I have committed the cardinal sin of not playing before buying but.........? The bass is light compared with my Highway one, I can tweak the set ups now, just needs some flats which I will put on tonight and I saved by not buying two metal covers to put in a box. With the coin I saved I added to my Hartke Hydrive 4/10 one Hartke Hydrive 1/15 CAB. Will post some photos of all my rig on 'Show us your Rig' when I get it all sorted. So that's me sorted. Happy camper and all that. Now my next objective is to try and find some regular guys to play with here in Gisborne in addition to my forays into the singer/songwriter world with my singer/songwriter friend. I need to get out of the woodshed and onto the stage to either sink or swim or both and get my volume up above the no 3 mark on my amp.

If anyone is interested in a EB Musicman Sterling ex Potatoes and me I have one up on Trade Me for a start price of $1000.00. I am hoping to nett at least $1100.00 for it to offset some costs. Make me an offer over $1000 and it could be yours, and I will withdraw it, much to trade me's disgust, assuming of course, that no one has put a bid on it already on TM.
Cheers!

Davo
Bronze Member

Post by Davo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Having both an original 62 Jazz and an AV 62 RI Jazz, I would have to say they are two very different beasts. I find the RI a bit heavier and the 62 has a tone and feel that many years down the track I still really enjoy. I've got a 71 P bass too which I find very very different from the mid 70s P Basses and as far as a go to P Bass the 71 wins every time. I had a 62 RI P bass that I really wanted to connect with, but it didn't happen. Sounded great, but just didn't feel right.
62 Fender Jazz
64 Hofner 500/1
64 Hofner Senator Bass
68 Ampeg AMUB-1 fretless
71 Fender P Bass
80 Aria Pro II SB700
81 Ibanez Roadster fretless
97 RI Fender Jazz 62 RI
09 Rickenbacker 4003
Squier Bass VI

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Fender Bassman 610

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Is Santa going to appeasing anyone's GAS desires this year?

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

I got an American Fender Jazz V as an early xmas present - my forth bass guitar i bought this year lol. Still have one or two other things on my 'GAS' list.
manofthematch wrote:Is Santa going to appeasing anyone's GAS desires this year?
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

Davo
Bronze Member

Post by Davo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 pm

I am not G.A.S free, but am trying............
I've got what I need (more than I need), just need to stop looking. :-)
62 Fender Jazz
64 Hofner 500/1
64 Hofner Senator Bass
68 Ampeg AMUB-1 fretless
71 Fender P Bass
80 Aria Pro II SB700
97 RI Fender Jazz 62 RI
09 Rickenbacker 4003
Squier Bass VI

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Just need a Steinberger mate :)
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Davo
Bronze Member

Post by Davo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Actually gassing for my old Ricky. Really wish I'd kept that one...
Rickenbacker 4001v63.jpg
62 Fender Jazz
64 Hofner 500/1
64 Hofner Senator Bass
68 Ampeg AMUB-1 fretless
71 Fender P Bass
80 Aria Pro II SB700
97 RI Fender Jazz 62 RI
09 Rickenbacker 4003
Squier Bass VI

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Oh yeah, I'm gettin' another one...
:oops:

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:03 am

The only thing I would like, and I know it aint gonna happen, is a Greenboy 1x12 Fearful cab, so it doesn't count as GAS.... does it?