Anyone G.A.S free?

Bass related topics
BluesBass
Gold Member

Re: Anyone G.A.S free?

Post by BluesBass » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:24 pm

NZRS-Dave wrote:The problem is that you guys walk in and see stuff and go 'wow ... must have ... trade wife ... must have ... sell kids ... etc'
But I had that every day for the first few months of working there.

Now I just walk past the coolest gear and don't raise and eyebrow
The exact reason I didn't become a gynecologist :wink:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 pm

lmao :lol:

NZRS-Dave
Bronze Member

Post by NZRS-Dave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:01 pm

lol ... I was going to add to my post 'wish I worked at Hooters' but I thought that might be a little inappropriate.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:05 pm

NZRS-Dave wrote:It's easy to be GAS free when you have no money, you're not gigging and you work in the perpetual candy shop.

The problem is that you guys walk in and see stuff and go 'wow ... must have ... trade wife ... must have ... sell kids ... etc'

But I had that every day for the first few months of working there.

Now I just walk past the coolest gear and don't raise and eyebrow ... can't afford and am actually happy with my basic rig as it is.

Sad, aren't I?
Knowing that i'll be permanently put off bass gear puts a big dent in my "find-a-job-at-the-RS-because-they-pay-me-to-be-a-gear-whore" plan. Drat.
A-boom boom boom boom!

joppo

Post by joppo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:09 pm

People who work in the Cadbury factory down here (Dunedin) don't each much chocolate after the first month. Everyone who doesn't work in the chocolate factory go "Mmmmmmm... chocolate". Same thing I guess Dave :D

NZRS-Dave
Bronze Member

Post by NZRS-Dave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:39 pm

sonicfantom - heh, i love all the wild eyed kids who come in expecting massive jam sessions with the amps on 12.

and then we ask them to polish guitars, or tune guitars, or make drumkits, or breakdown cardboard, vacuum, clean windows, etc ... same thing we all do everyday.

I love asking new people how they like working for us and they repeat 'oh its awesome, i love it' to which I mutter ... 'heh, we'll bleed that out of you'

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

That sounds like what I do at work, except without the photocopier :D
A-boom boom boom boom!

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:09 am

I think I'm finally GAS Free.
Impecunity, age and satisfaction with buying the best I could for my tastes are all contributors.

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:28 pm

I used to have GAS (lol) but went cold turkey a while back and got dat monkey off my back! I came to the realisation that its an unending addiction that consumes time, money, energy and whatever else and doesnt write music for you haha.

BUT

I fear a relapse may occur as Im looking into a split signal setup that will effectively need me to create a 2nd chain; effx and amp!

uh-oh... :?

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:44 pm

currently re-GASing for a Digitech Jam Man (my order fell through as they ran out of stock)...that and a reasonably decent set of active near-fields for the "studio".
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:11 pm

http://www.fender.com/en-NZ/products/am ... dNo=019407

I thought I had GAS and my good man Richie at my local music store sensed this and threw one of these at me to try last "gig" we had.

Wow a ton of tonal options going on here,at first I really enjoyed it,had it honking,but something just wasn't right for me,alas the neck.
Used it for an hour or so,was planning on using it second set but chickened out and grabbed my Jazz,ahhh comfort set in,but missed the sound.
I will say my Jazz with flats felt great and I love the neck but that P stomped all over the tone !!!!! The P was the same in the link and was really,really strong sounding.
Conclusion,GAS remains,and I still need a P with the above body and circuitry but with my Jazz neck.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49 pm

Looks like a really nice bass. I love me the P/J set up. How much are they?
I think you would get used to the neck

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:56 am

I've put a 2 year ban on myself from buying gear. If I had saved over the last 2 years instead of buying all sorts of stuff from home recording gear through to DIY guitar parts, I would have been able to afford my dream axe.

So it's only strings and maintenance purchases for the next 2 years. It's gonna be tough, but the reward will be sweet.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:55 am

ryanmaiden wrote:I've put a 2 year ban on myself from buying gear.
Good luck with that! I don't think I'd have the will power to do that and probably fail miserably! So what's your dream axe then? - That could probably be a new thread on its own. :D
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

Vince
Bronze Member

Post by Vince » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:21 pm

I must strike myself off the list. I've recently decided that I want a small busking amp so I can take my acoustic bass and go well... busking. There's a discontinued battery powered Vox that I tried the other day and should do the trick.