Jaco again!

Who da man?
martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Jaco again!

Post by martyforrer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:01 pm

I used to listen to a lot of Jaco back in the 80s and 90s, although I never tried to play like him (well, I can play a little of Portait of Tracy and Continuum :? ). In recent times I have'nt done any bass listening at all, more into the song. The last few months I've been digging a lot of players on Youtube, all the wizzkids, from Victor on down. I just came to the conclusion that although there are some wicked players out there, Jaco still rules! In 20+ years no-one has come close to his groove and expression. All is well in the universe.
Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is one of my alltime favourite albums.

BluesBass
Gold Member

Re: Jaco again!

Post by BluesBass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:09 pm

He was also a complete nutter... bought about by suffering from mental illness and being a drug addict and alcoholic.

The border between 'genius' and 'madman' is very narrow.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:22 pm

I've tried to understand Jaco.
To me - technically brilliant but I'd rather listen to Dunn or Jamerson for real music.

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:32 pm

What's the definition of "real music"? Jaco's Invitation album, featuring his Invitation 18 piece big band, is as real as it gets man! I'm a Dunn and Jameison fan too, but the groove with the big band outshines anything they've done. IMO.

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Careful Marty...
Jazzbass wrote:I've tried to understand Jaco.
To me - technically brilliant but I'd rather listen to Dunn or Jamerson for real music.

:wink:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:50 pm

martyforrer wrote:What's the definition of "real music"? Jaco's Invitation album, featuring his Invitation 18 piece big band, is as real as it gets man! I'm a Dunn and Jameison fan too, but the groove with the big band outshines anything they've done. IMO.
LOL, I knew that'd wind you up. We've had this conversation before about 12 years ago IIRC.
Rog

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:54 pm

BluesBass wrote: Image
:wink:
Riffles!
What would you know, you old Macca fan, you! :lol:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:14 pm

I remembered when I joined the FDP, long before it became the FDP and peeps were talking about Jaco. Having never heard of him, I thought they were discussing Jack Bruce and things got a tad confused... Duh! :D

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Jazzbass wrote:I've tried to understand Jaco.
To me - technically brilliant but I'd rather listen...c.
You go in for a lot of root canals don't you!

btw whereabouts in NZ are you? I travel the land a lot so perhaps a beer's in order when I am next in your neck of the woods
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 am

LOL, mainly just winding Marty up.
He bites so well!

vandalinjandals
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/primalband
Bands / Groups: PrimalBand

Post by vandalinjandals » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:05 pm

I got a scorebook out with all his best tunes from uni the other week. I'm still scared to open it up! Really want to learn Teen Town though.

bassnut14
Bronze Member

Post by bassnut14 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:20 pm

martyforrer wrote:I used to listen to a lot of Jaco back in the 80s and 90s, although I never tried to play like him (well, I can play a little of Portait of Tracy and Continuum :? ). In recent times I have'nt done any bass listening at all, more into the song. The last few months I've been digging a lot of players on Youtube, all the wizzkids, from Victor on down. I just came to the conclusion that although there are some wicked players out there, Jaco still rules! In 20+ years no-one has come close to his groove and expression. All is well in the universe.
I would argue that as Bass players James Jamerson and John lodge cannot be beaten for actually playing bass as in holding down the groove though as a musician Jaco's equals were/are people like Peter Green, Duane Allman, Hendrix, Ginger Baker, etc. etc. etc.

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Just watched Portrait of Tracy on Youtube and I'm glad I cannot play like that. While it is technically amazing and passionate, love the feeling he puts into it, and the harmonic passages, that isn't bass playing to me. It is playing a bass, but he wasn't playing the part I believe a bass player should be.
I may get flamed for saying that, but I grew up playing Big Band and Swing, laying down the foundations with the drummer, for the lead instruments to build upon. Same when I left school and played in covers bands.
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 pm

bassnut14 wrote:
martyforrer wrote:I used to listen to a lot of Jaco back in the 80s and 90s, although I never tried to play like him (well, I can play a little of Portait of Tracy and Continuum :? ). In recent times I have'nt done any bass listening at all, more into the song. The last few months I've been digging a lot of players on Youtube, all the wizzkids, from Victor on down. I just came to the conclusion that although there are some wicked players out there, Jaco still rules! In 20+ years no-one has come close to his groove and expression. All is well in the universe.
I would argue that as Bass players James Jamerson and John lodge cannot be beaten for actually playing bass as in holding down the groove though as a musician Jaco's equals were/are people like Peter Green, Duane Allman, Hendrix, Ginger Baker, etc. etc. etc.
As a musician? You gotta be kidding! He had no equals in that group. Jaco composed all the horn parts for the 18 piece Invitation big band, the band played a big concert which was recorded for the Invitation album ..... unrehearsed!!! Jaco's charts were flawless! Listen to this album, listen to the fabulous horn harmonies and nuances, listen to the fact there was no chordal instrument in the line-up yet the horns and bass outlined the structure perfectly...... and listen to Jaco GROOVE.
Equals? I dont think so.

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Pablo Basso wrote:Just watched Portrait of Tracy on Youtube and I'm glad I cannot play like that. While it is technically amazing and passionate, love the feeling he puts into it, and the harmonic passages, that isn't bass playing to me. It is playing a bass, but he wasn't playing the part I believe a bass player should be.
I may get flamed for saying that, but I grew up playing Big Band and Swing, laying down the foundations with the drummer, for the lead instruments to build upon. Same when I left school and played in covers bands.
Granted, the traditional role of a bass player is to hold down the groove and keep everyone in check....but who are any of us to say what a bass player should be? Surely people should be able to stretch the boundaries? There are many techniques used commonly as "backing bass players" that came from people breaking the mould and branching out into new territories.

I still think a good bass player is one who has tons of ability and creativity, because when you put yourself into a basic band situation you are going to play the simple stuff so much better (as long as you don't try to play like Jaco over brown eyed girl :lol: ).