Met any famous bass players?

Who da man?
beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Re: Met any famous bass players?

Post by beagle » Wed May 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Nice list of players there. Freddie Washington is the extent of my list.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 pm

me, i've met no-one.

but i do have an Ace of Spades playing card signed by Lemmy, and a Let Me Play For You vinyl signed by Mr Clarke.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:19 pm

A few years ago now I played Mountain Rock (an early version of Big Day Out) with Dusty Rhodes and the Bluesmobile. The first year we did it we played before The Stranglers whose bassist JJ Burnel was fairly legendary.
The second year we played while Joe Satriani and Stu Hamm were at the side, waiting to go on. A week earlier I had bought Stu Hamm's instructional video, the guy could make his bass osund like any instrument he wanted. Worst day of my life! The MC told me they were listening just before we went on. My fingers froze with nerves and I was reduced almost to playing root notes alone. Didn't even attempt to meet him after that, just drank (as you do).
Opened for Lee Brilleaux and Dr Feelgood a couple of times around then and I seem to remember his bassist being very friendly - I learnt a lot about deep groove from listening to him.

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:19 pm

I was there! Shame they don't have those anymore. I went '94, '95 and '96. Saw some great acts. Absolutely loved Yothu Yindi.
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Last one I met was Stu Cook from CCR, we were on tour with them. Nice chap, with some nice gear....Aguilar into Ampeg....Mike Lull and Fender 5 string P/J configs.

So nice getting to listen to a guy like that night after night, not like it was all chops....but man I don't think many people could pull off those songs the way those guys did.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Fri May 09, 2014 11:52 pm

Francis Hylton from Incognito. I met him (ever so briefly) at Ronnie Scotts - a jazz bar in London - which incognito and Francis just tore up.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification