Weakest band member or musician who was a bassist

Who da man?
manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Weakest band member or musician who was a bassist

Post by manofthematch » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:49 pm

There's a couple of posts here raving about players people like, have met, or heard live.

How about the ones who were, comparatively speaking, the weakest link in their respective bands. For me - and maybe this is contentious - one who comes to mind is Adam Clayton (of U2). When you line up the 4 members of the band - Bono has an awesome voice, Edge's guitaring is pretty cool, Larry Mullen Jr a handy drummer, and Adam...

(PS - I don't think this need be a hate forum or to bag other people's selections... just interested in who'll be thrown into the mix.)
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Weakest band member or musician who was a bassist

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:20 pm

The example provided

Clayton can be seen as the strongest member of U2. Why? Because he always believed the band would be in Rock's stratosphere.

So non musical ability is no hinderance to an individuals ability to participate in a band.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

manofthematch
Bronze Member

Post by manofthematch » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:01 am

Agree, re: non musical ability no hinderance etc etc... but if it were to come to musical ability and even just the sheer make up of bands / groups, who do you think was a weakest band member who was a bassist?

Who's that bassist whom you think 'how the flip did they get that gig?'
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:11 pm

manofthematch wrote:How about the ones who were, comparatively speaking, the weakest link in their respective bands.
I actually fit this description unashamedly very well...been getting away with murder on the bass for a long time now.
Our singer is very accomplished with a great voice, and she is a huge asset to the band,the guitard is a local legend in his own right and the drummer is also very very good.All 3 teach others their craft.
As for myself...nuff said. :lol:
Stick me in room of bass players to show off my skills would have most writhing on the floor with laughter and rest leaving through boredom.I am not a bass players player if you get what I mean.

All it takes to part of a successful group I have come to realize over 25 years, is commitment and teamwork.
skills can be secondary, providing you can learn your parts, keep time and not make lots of mistakes all the time :lol:

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Why is Adam Clayton weak? Because he sits on root notes? So does AC/DC and many others. Why? Because if they did any more they would be in the way. They play exactly what is needed for those bands, and that makes them bloody good bass players in my book. They have spot on time and tone for those bands. It seems to me that a weak player is one who does twiddly diddly all night long and gets in everyones way. I stole a jazz residency in Auckland off a guy who was way better than me, but the other band members (all well-known respected players, I might add) got sick of him playing fancy-schmancy lead bass.
My favourite bass guitarist is Lee Sklar. He can burn as good as Jeff Berlin, Victor Wooten or any of those cats, I know, I've seen him play and met him. But why is he playing on well over 2000 records, many of them gold? Well, his nickname is "Master of the whole note" ..........

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:01 pm

And don't listen to that shite that Pins is spouting.... he's the perfect player for that band.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:31 pm

hmmm I may be a bit biased here, but U2 was the first band I really got into and I learrnt bass to their first 3 albums (cassette tapes)
I think U2 wouldn't sound the same with another bass player....

worst bass player is probably Sid Vicious.... watched a doco ages ago about them and the guitarist was the one who actually played the bass parts on their album - because Sid couldn't actually play...
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:33 pm

If U2 had bass shreds I'd hate them even more.
martyforrer wrote:Why is Adam Clayton weak? Because he sits on root notes? So does AC/DC and many others. Why? Because if they did any more they would be in the way. They play exactly what is needed for those bands, and that makes them bloody good bass players in my book. They have spot on time and tone for those bands. It seems to me that a weak player is one who does twiddly diddly all night long and gets in everyones way.
Couldn't agree more.

Kev77
Bronze Member

Post by Kev77 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Sid vicious, purely a poster boy.
I wish I could play bass like John lee hooker

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Courtney Love from Hole, which is unfortunate considering she is Hole

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:41 pm

john wrote:Courtney Love from Hole, which is unfortunate considering she is Hole
does she play bass just as well as plays the guitar in the clip john ?

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Oh yeah. Read the thread title, John :lol:

manofthematch
Bronze Member

Post by manofthematch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Yup I knew that the old Adam Clayton call would be contentious before I even posted it. I still stand by that call but at the end of the day, it's such a speculative thing saying one bassist was weaker than a certain guitarist within a band. Who gives a toss right?

I think Pins raises some blimming good points, particularly around how bassists do there job but also that a lot of band / musical elements like being organised, prompt for practices, punctual for gigs is important. It wouldn't surprise me that even for pro musicians, just having good business acumen, some manners and being a good team player can speak volumes over a musician who can shred but might be an ass to deal with

J-Funk

Post by J-Funk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:28 am

martyforrer wrote:My favourite bass guitarist is Lee Sklar. He can burn as good as Jeff Berlin, Victor Wooten or any of those cats, I know, I've seen him play and met him. But why is he playing on well over 2000 records, many of them gold? Well, his nickname is "Master of the whole note" ..........
So true. Don't fear the whole note. That's what the groove is built on.
Pedalshack: bringing the world's best boutique and handmade effects pedals to NZ musicians at the lowest prices possible.

http://www.facebook.com/pedalshack

J-Funk

Post by J-Funk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 am

Mr Bass Man wrote:worst bass player is probably Sid Vicious.... watched a doco ages ago about them and the guitarist was the one who actually played the bass parts on their album - because Sid couldn't actually play...
Ooh, harsh. I'm pretty sure Sid mastered the change from open A to open E just before the band broke up. :lol:
Pedalshack: bringing the world's best boutique and handmade effects pedals to NZ musicians at the lowest prices possible.

http://www.facebook.com/pedalshack