Kiwi Bass Player Hall of Fame

Who da man?
beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Kiwi Bass Player Hall of Fame

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:15 am

Ok here we go.... Who do you consider should be listed (and their claim to fame). After we get a decent list we'll run a vote.... and you can't vote for yourself! :wink:

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Hands down Max Stowers for me, a great player who did it all pretty much.

Another I'd add, is Chip Matthews (Che Fu etc)....as he brought some good kiwi bass flavour that really contributed to the NZ Hip Hop sound, not to mention jazz/groove stuff, and early bands he played in like New Loungehead.

Smee

Post by Smee » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:47 am

Mike Chunn (Split Enz)
I love cats........they taste like chicken

JesusCrux

Post by JesusCrux » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:58 am

The bass player on Dating Godot's album Napoli... I wonder if it's Andrew Spittle himself?

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:48 am

i thought the stuff paul woolwright played on 'tickets' "let sleeping dogs lie" album was some of the best rock bass playing to come come out of new zealand, what a shame its impossible to get a copy of that album.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:22 am

wendy calder from the spines and body electric (especially in that leopardskin outfit),had great taste and tone.check out her 5/4 line on "punch" by the spines. kevin haines - say no more - kenny pearson blew me away also and i think im pretty good too. almost forgot - billy kristian o yeah!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:06 pm

Phil Bowering

I guess we are going a bit back in time here, but he was a good player, he wrote original music that had some commerical sucess, the people I know who worked with him /learnt from him all have good things to say about him,and I think his approach to constructing his Basslines is tasteful, logical, and integral to the Song's life.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:34 am

was it phil bowering who played bass on elephunk in my soup?, thats a funky line.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:28 pm

Thats the cat.
"Elefunk" was sort of there hitsingle... although I remember a Video of theres and it's not this cut...

Low Profile is well worth checking out, the 6track mini-album.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:53 pm

You guys are intense - I can't name a single NZ bassist of note. Come to think of it, I'd be struggling to name more than a handful of bassists from anywhere. I've only ever heard of one from the above posts and that's Mike Chun and I didn't get off on Enz, so never noticed his work.

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:32 am

Rio Hemapo - Great versatility, holds it down like a mo'fo, makes a big bass look like a twig.

Matt Greubener - Just for being around and being a cat to look up to when I was young (all those years ago). Beautiful Double Bass player

Kevin Haines - Nuff said, he is the man

Paul Dyne - Fantastic Jazz player, under-rated

Francis Harawira - Francis preceded me in Token Village (later went onto be the Krates). Beautiful soulful player, I learnt a lot technique wise from watching him play, and a feel that not many have. Superb player

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:32 pm

Paul Merriott (who plays with Darcy Perry) has the best live, blues-rock tone I've heard.
99 Peavey Cirrus 4 Walnut Fretless, 98 Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, 96 Epi El Capitan-4, 99 Warwick W-CL, Johnson J-Station, Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21 & Acoustic ADI21, Daphon E20CM, E20DS & E20PH, Boss CE-2B & EH-2, other instruments & things

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:39 pm

Pati Umanga - The Holiday Makers
For one of the most memorable plucked hammer-ons in Kiwi R&B with 'Sweet Lovers'. Played on a Peavey Foundation, this track was recorded in 1988 and achieved 'Single of the Year' at the New Zealand Music Awards, whilst the group got Most Promising Group. Incidentally the video featured Pati playing George Packards double bass (atleast I think it was George's.. lol).

George Packard
For his contribution to the bass and music community for his efforts in getting the Whitiriea Rock and Jazz course up and running (Porirua). A tasteful and very artistic fretless player. George has been an inspriation to many players whom I rate very highly also.

Joe Lonie - Supergroove
Geez, I really thought these guys were ahead of their time and still do. Talk about awesome timing to have such a great gelling rythm section, fantastic use of horns, tasteful and fun vocals packed with energy. Joe's grooves were wicked on the Traction album.

Ryan Monga - Ardijah
Tone, Groove, Soul. Man the 'Take a chance' album is awesome to listen to with such hits as 'Watchin U' and 'Time makes a wine'. Plus the next album 'Time' features such titles as 'Slap City', 'Da Fonk! ' and 'To Be Fonky!' on it. lol... bass player stuff :)

Charlie Tumahai... was'nt he bass player for Herbs? Whoever that was, man they were some great basslines. Classic Kiwi reggae and so widely popular. Still gets people singing in bars...

I like Dave McDermott of Blindspott's playing, he is a machine. Cher Doy!
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Johnny Fleury Plays the chapman stick a weird contraption half Bass and half Guitar with more strings than a mere mortal can even think about and a neck as wide as a 6x2 teaches at Mainz

Bruce Kerr Bass for hire on many recordings pretty hot guitarist as well

Junior Fitz Also a stunning Bass player especially jazz
believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz

(([Ramz]))

Post by (([Ramz])) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:43 pm

For me i think Brent Fox (ex 8 Foot Sativa) has to be in the top 10 NZ bassists....