Re: Kiwi Bass Player Hall of Fame

Post by BassinHardSince1992 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:25 pm

8 foot owns^^
It's Close Enough for Jazz - Jaco P

TommyJazz

Post by TommyJazz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:49 am

Matt Penman.
He's definitely made the most impact of any kiwi bassist in the jazz world at least.

Ara

Post by Ara » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Right now I would say these are my fav Bass Players in the country....

Chip Matthews - Bass Player to many (Opensouls, Anika Moa, Anna Coddington, Lewis McCallum, The Crates, New Loungehead, etc...). Top Bloke, Amazing Bass Player, Mean DJ.

Francis Harawira (House of Shem) - Groove and Soul. Blows me away everytime I watch him play.

Tere Ngarua (Katchafire) - My first teacher on Bass. Opened my eyes and ears to new music, techniques, and has a HUGE pocket!!

Ryan Monga (Ardijah) - One of the reasons why I play Bass is because of hearing "Watchin U" and "Time Makes a Wine". Top Bloke and one of the true pioneers.

Rio Hemopo (Trinity Roots) - Legendary Band and Music.

Crete Haami (Hollie Smith) - His combo with Darren Mathison on Drums is straight Killa!!

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:16 am

Hey Ara bro, think you forgot a name there.

Ara - One of the bro's who reminded me how to play reggae, to hold down a groove, and how to be a top bloke.

Cher da cuzzie

schmoove

Post by schmoove » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:26 am

Surprised no one's mentioned Andy Rust from Jungle Fungus yet - have never met a player who felt the funk like this guy.. was a huge inspiration.

...and who now makes some mighty fine instruments out of his workshop at Custom Rust (http://www.customrust.co.nz)

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Another vote for Kenny Pearson. He was my teacher and a mate. He was also a very competitive motorbike racer, in fact was the Shell NZ Bucket Race Champion. His star was definitely on the rise. He had two albums of his own KP Power Band, and played on many others albums, plus played in many shows.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:46 am

I've not yet seen/heard Max Stowers but would love to as I've heard he is the man.

But my nominations for HoF status would be:
Joe Lonie (Supergroove) - saw him live in concert with Supergroove and they absolutely ripped it up. They opened for Crowded House in Wgtn and he just plays a groove so effortlessly.

Mike "Fud" Fudakowski (formerly of Cripple Mr Onion) - i DON'T like metal but when I lived in Chch I totally went out of my way to hear him play with C.M.O. He was (and still is I'm sure) a virtuoso and just dominated the bass. Did things and made sounds you just thought weren't possible. His tapping was as if two bass players were playing. World class. Just a guy you could sing a jazz line to and he'd play it back at ya, inverse it and do all sorts of trippy shiz.

Paul Dyne - NZ's premier jazz double bassist. So much street cred

Nick Tipping - again one of these guys who when you see/hear them play, you know you're listening to someone pretty special at the bass guitar. He's not the HoD for the jazz school in Wellington for nothing.

Tim Robertson - I'm surprised no-one gave him a mention. I'm not sure whether he belonged to any band of note but was (prior to doing his OE in Europe) one of NZ's premier session bassists. Wicked chops and awesome ear for a groove. When he plays the bass he's just got total command of the instrument. Was bass tutor at Wgtn jazz school for quite some time.

Not HoF'ers but definitely some honourable mentions must go to:
Tim Jaray (Black Seeds) - he doesn't necessarily show off chops but he's always in the pocket. Each and every dirty ol groove the B.S's play, he's masterminded... and what's more they're perfect for each tune of theirs. He does the right thing all the time and you can't ask more from a bassman. You don't need to play bass a million miles an hour to come up with some of the best grooves.

Paul Mouncey (OdESSA) - seriously if you want to see the funkiest, honky bass player in New Zealand I'd say check him out. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!! Back in 2002 they were in the battle of the bands national final and Paul got voted best bass player. I remember him from my days at jazz school. It was like he was brought up on a drip feed of James Brown.

Ben Shepherd - yip I can vouch for him being a very special talent. Hall of Fame, I wouldn't go there (yet). From one or two gigs I've seen (round Welly) I just wonder whether he can sit back or does it have to be hemi-semi-demi-tremi-quavers, showing off all the chops at once. Chops are mighty mighty impressive but a HoF'er they do not make. I'm sure he'll be learning some real good lessons and I know for fact that he's learning off bassmen with serious street cred (Alphonso Johnson etc). A HoF'er in the making - definitely yes!

There's guys out there good at the bass but won't necessarily be a part of an all-conquering band or be real known to cut it for a hypothetical "Kiwi Bass Player Hall of Fame". One of my inspirations even tho I've not seen him play in 6 years is Damo Rarere. He played with such a groove and totally owned the basslines he played on an Ibanez roadster.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:35 pm

If you're going to Bust the Nick and Paul you can't forget Big Tommy Callwood, plays for green herring and Little bushman as well as tutoring jazz bass at NZSM Welly.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

Brian Smaller

Post by Brian Smaller » Tue May 12, 2009 2:38 pm

I vote for Ken Pearson as well. He was my best friend, best man at my wedding as I was at his.

Fitz
Bands / Groups: Playing with A Beautiful Chaos

Post by Fitz » Mon May 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Max Stowers is THE MAN. I walked into my first lesson with him back in '99, and thought I was hot - but he blew me away with his technique, phrasing, and control.

There are not many people who can play it all, but choose not to. THAT is the sign of an accomplished musician. Definitely deserves to be in a kiwi bassist hall of fame.
Ibanez BTB Prestige 6 String; Boss ME-50B; Ashdown MAG300 4x10 Combo; Logic Pro.

supergroover

Post by supergroover » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:20 am

Gary Thain, the best, followed closely by Billy Christian,,dont think any of the musicianship in bands like ENZ are individually good but they cut it as a group, its their songwriting thats good.

red71

Post by red71 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:51 pm

fender pitmans pretty wicked bassplayer for taye williams and the philosophy!!!!

Taff.

Post by Taff. » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:19 pm

How about Roger McLauchlan. Original member of Little River Band, played seriously tasty fretless in "You're the Voice" [John Farnham ] and countless other tracks in Australia.Crocodile Dundee,
and, John Coker, long time MD with John English, Marcia Hines, and too many to count.
Both came from Invercargill.

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 pm

I saw "Tears" on the tele the other day and was compelled to look up the name of the bass player: one Tina Matthews.

Knew what she was doing.

fallingleaf
Bands / Groups: Thran - covers band, previously in 'the New Freedom', studio work

Post by fallingleaf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:13 pm

schmoove wrote:Surprised no one's mentioned Andy Rust from Jungle Fungus yet - have never met a player who felt the funk like this guy.. was a huge inspiration.

...and who now makes some mighty fine instruments out of his workshop at Custom Rust (http://www.customrust.co.nz)
Old thread I know but Andy is the MAN. I got lessons from him late 90's in highschool and he bought the funk to my playing. Laying down a stinky groove in the pocket is his specialty!

Max Stowers also taught me - just a monster and easily up there on a global scale. Such tasty licks, phrasing and interpretation. Really humbling to get lessons from such an individual (makes you realise how pukana you are!).
Pedulla ETB5 Thunderbass w/zebra wood, Marcus Miller sig Fender Jazz, SWR Goliath 4x10 w/750x head...and a whole lota funk