VICTOR WOOTEN

Who da man?
WindsorCravette
Bronze Member

Re: VICTOR WOOTEN

Post by WindsorCravette » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:44 am

Vic has become a strong influence to me, mostly because of his speeches than his grooves.

Then he seems to have a reason to play everything he plays, cuz he states that every note he plays means some specific expression that hes trying to communicate to the audience. In this case he's doing ok, no matter how he approaches to music or technic. He's just trying to express something and that's the way he does it.

It's like when you practice in your room... you just think of how to express something and you simply try to make flow the best you can, that's what he does all the time, he states that there is no big difference between your own room and the biggest audience out there!

I don't bother ranking him among a list of players, but the thing is that I simply learnt a couple of tips from him, and that's for sure!!!

He's just one of us, but he has finally found his style and he shares it to the world.
Two thumbs up for Vic! For better or worse, This is my opinion! :wink:
Luv my 24 Frets | | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| (6 strings, neck-through n' long scale)

bassnut14
Bronze Member

Post by bassnut14 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:15 pm

beagle wrote:
bassnut14 wrote:I hate Victor Wooten's playing he's immensley talented but to many notes, awfull tone(despite the beautifull fodera's he uses) and general lack of musicianship make me wonder why he chose bass not banjo. p.s do not be offended this is merely my humble opinion please dont kill me!
Offended not... v pleased to see someone share their own opinion.
but how can someone be immensely talented... and have a general lack of musicianship? that does not compute. please explain.
He does his own style which is on the fringe... if lots of people don't like then that's to be expected. but I think it's inspiring to hear boundarys being pushed. Otherwise nothing ever changes.
Bass is not typically a lead instrument but he plays it as such and that seems to get some bass players and non bass players backs up.
The interesting thing with virtuoso bass players is whether or not they are able to simplfy their playing appropriatly / pull it back as the style they are playing requires. I've known some lead guitarists who find this impossible to achieve.

and yes... he would of made a fine banjo player :lol:
I do not find him very musical yet appreciate his technical abillities and if bass playing was an olympic sport he would have a gold medal but it isn't.( does this in anyway clear it up for you)

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 pm

I actually think in a band situation Victor is a very tasty player, when he isn't showboating. He has a real nice pocket, and has some very musical, tasteful ideas.

I think perhaps that some people hear all the fancy stuff and perhaps get a bit intimidated? To say he isn't very musical is pretty ridiculous.....you ever heard him play a ballad? Or solo over a jazz tune?

Sure he probably isn't as "tasty" a player as say Pattitucci or Miller, so without the gimmicky stuff he probably wouldn't have ever been as noticed as he is. So for that you've gotta hand it to him, he is alot more famous than any of us....and is still a nice player.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:28 pm

bassnut14 wrote:I do not find him very musical yet appreciate his technical abillities and if bass playing was an olympic sport he would have a gold medal but it isn't.( does this in anyway clear it up for you)
Yes! Crystal :D
Dan wrote:I actually think in a band situation Victor is a very tasty player, when he isn't showboating. He has a real nice pocket, and has some very musical, tasteful ideas.
I think perhaps that some people hear all the fancy stuff and perhaps get a bit intimidated? To say he isn't very musical is pretty ridiculous.....you ever heard him play a ballad? Or solo over a jazz tune?
Sure he probably isn't as "tasty" a player as say Pattitucci or Miller, so without the gimmicky stuff he probably wouldn't have ever been as noticed as he is. So for that you've gotta hand it to him, he is alot more famous than any of us....and is still a nice player.
Poetry :wink:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

bassnut14
Bronze Member

Post by bassnut14 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Dan wrote:I actually think in a band situation Victor is a very tasty player, when he isn't showboating. He has a real nice pocket, and has some very musical, tasteful ideas.

could I have some examples of this as I have heard he can be like that but the guy who said that couldn't remember where he saw or heard him playing like that. But maybe it's just my musical tastes even with guitarists I prefer more restrained melodic guys like David Gilmour,B.B King and the like.

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:58 pm

If you don't find vic musical you've been watching the wrong videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx5Qd6uE ... re=related Here he is laying down an excellent groove

WindsorCravette
Bronze Member

Post by WindsorCravette » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Dan wrote: I think perhaps that some people hear all the fancy stuff and perhaps get a bit intimidated? To say he isn't very musical is pretty ridiculous.....you ever heard him play a ballad? Or solo over a jazz tune?
Well, yes, he's most of time just showing off cuz it's part of the show, he's entertaining people.
And some times people likes sparkly stuff.
But sure he is a tasty player. He really is. :)
Luv my 24 Frets | | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| (6 strings, neck-through n' long scale)

WindsorCravette
Bronze Member

Post by WindsorCravette » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:26 pm

potatoes wrote:If you don't find vic musical you've been watching the wrong videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx5Qd6uE ... re=related Here he is laying down an excellent groove
Yeah. Mind blowing. :lol: