Jansen Liberator - New (old) Amp Day

Thunder Boxes!
pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Jansen Liberator - New (old) Amp Day

Post by pins » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Cool ,great to see what I call "Iconic NZ gear" still cranking out the thump !
You've done well at getting the 'Herniator' back into action and competing with the band,full credit to you. 8)

I have an old 70's ? Jansen ( Fender copy) bass here that will get a refurbish when I get round to it.

monster
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Easy, Taranaki Symphony Orchestra

Post by monster » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:29 pm

pins wrote:Cool ,great to see what I call "Iconic NZ gear" still cranking out the thump !
You've done well at getting the 'Herniator' back into action and competing with the band,full credit to you. 8)
I think the Jansen and Holden gear is classic NZ kit, probably overlooked until fairly recently. Looked after nicely I've found they work well. My Bassman 75 that I bought in 1991 when I was 15 works well still.
I took the Herniator into Tony Baxter (New Plymouth tech) yesterday and it is only making 40-50 watts output before distorting, so something needs attention. On the plus side, if it keeps up OK with 50watts then getting it back to 180watts will increase clean headroom quite a bit!

'Best' option is phase inverter valve or circuit components.
Less desirable is a faulty output valve or two.
...and worst case is the output transformer has a problem :cry: Fingers crossed it is not this...

Whatever it turns out to be I'll get it fixed. I like vintage stuff, I like stuff that can be fixed and I like restoring stuff. And it is a tax-deductible expense.
I have an old 70's ? Jansen ( Fender copy) bass here that will get a refurbish when I get round to it.
Have you got a photo of it?

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:57 am

My very first Amp and Cab were both Jansen, wish I had taken more interest in it and maybe a photo at least. But it had issues with the transformer thingy and was poos. Cant even remember what i did with it ?

Heres the Jansen Bass, gotta love the brush painted purple. Still plays ok and sounds kinda unique for want of a better term. There are more pics in there somewhere .

Hope your amp is easily repaired.

monster
Bronze Member

Post by monster » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:49 pm

pins wrote:My very first Amp and Cab were both Jansen, wish I had taken more interest in it and maybe a photo at least. But it had issues with the transformer thingy and was poos.
Transformer problems can be expensive to fix if they need a rewind.
I recently got a matching jansen 2x12 for my bassman 75. I'm quite keen to fit a pair of modern drivers of good efficiency to hear how the rig sounds. Original Philips drivers are a bit rubbish I think.
Heres the Jansen Bass, gotta love the brush painted purple. Still plays ok and sounds kinda unique for want of a better term. There are more pics in there somewhere .
Thanks for the pic. Looks pretty cool I reckon, but I am highly biased ;-)
Hope your amp is easily repaired.
Components in phase inverter circuit needed replacement. $120 all up.

monster
Bronze Member

Post by monster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 am

Since my last post many moons ago the Liberator has been treated to new tolex, re-chromed corners, new black handles, a better vent for the top and a repositioned back cover to allow more cool air in at the bottom. I've also replaced the rubber feet with large squares of self-adhesive Nolothane to help absorb any vibration from the cabs.
20160907_204449.jpg
20160907_213231.jpg
20160907_213355.jpg
I have yet to find a replacement tremolo board, but no desperate hurry for that.

My tech had it on the bench a couple of weeks ago and clean output was measured at 153 watts at 8 ohms, so a few watts down on it's apparent potential of 180. It still has the set of KT-88s I had installed in 2014.

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Tue May 02, 2017 9:23 am

Most amps, including Jansen rate amps into 4 ohms, so 153 watts into 8 ohms is healthy. My Crusader 220 Magnum, for example, is rated at 82 watts at 16 ohms, 145 watts into 8 ohms, and 220 watts with 4 ohms (read off the back panel).
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

monster
Bronze Member

Post by monster » Thu May 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Pablo Basso wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:23 am
Most amps, including Jansen rate amps into 4 ohms, so 153 watts into 8 ohms is healthy. My Crusader 220 Magnum, for example, is rated at 82 watts at 16 ohms, 145 watts into 8 ohms, and 220 watts with 4 ohms (read off the back panel).
The transformer on my Liberator is switchable only for 8 and 16 ohms. I'd imagine that the output of a valve amp is largely the same at any ohm setting because of the transformer.

I usually run it at 16 ohms - two 8ohm TL606 cabs using a 'series box'.